Lord Peter Views the Body (A Lord Peter…

Lord Peter Views the Body (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery) (edition 1982)

by Dorothy L Sayers

Member:MissMac
Title:Lord Peter Views the Body (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery)
Authors:Dorothy L Sayers
Info:New English Library (1982), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 352 pages

Lord Peter Views the Body by Dorothy L. Sayers

English (21)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (23)
The red herrings are carefully laid to misdirect the reader but without compromising the coherence of the story as a whole. The characters are all interesting and effectively drawn and the story expertly plotted. The mysterious object missing from the murder scene kept me guessing all the way through, and Lord Peter is his usual charming/irritating self. Those of us who like this sort of thing will like it very much, and others will be pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the reading and the characterisations. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 29, 2017 |
Like all short story collections, some stories are better than others. My favourites were The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager's Will" , "The Undignified Melodrama of the Bone of Contention", and ""The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba". Recommended for all Sayers fans. ( )
  francesanngray | Dec 7, 2017 |
I found the stories to be hit and miss and parts of this book were a bit of a slog to get through.
It is my first time reading any of Sayers novels, and I was a little disappointed. I hope that her other full length stories are better. ( )
  TineSidhe | Aug 23, 2017 |
I can't believe I've not read this before, but bits of it were completely unfamiliar, so maybe this is a first time. A series of short stories, in each of which Peter Wimsey solves a different problem - not all of them being crimes, as such. Some of them fit neatly in the short story format, others you sense that an idea is being tried out; at least one had a very familiar turn about it. Some were, frankly, a bit grim; the silver sofa, for example, put the wind up me. A varied and interesting selection. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 8, 2017 |
This is one of my absolute all time favorite mysteries, even my all time favorite books. A few of the stories are on the grim side, notably the Cat in the Bag, the Footsteps that Ran, and the Man with No Face, but many have no violence at al, and some are wildly funny. My supreme favorite is The Bone of Contention, not just for its ingenious plot, but also for Peter Wimsey's admirably fair-minded approach to the supernatural, refusing to rule it out a priori, yet still eliminating it as an explanation on good evidential grounds. The Stolen Stomach and Uncle Meleager's Will are also very good fun; all three stories are based on odd wills. as is the Dragon's Head, with a nice icunabular touch. The Article in Question is funny and even slightly risqué as befits a tale starting in France; the Matter of Taste is also French, but a remarkable contest in wine tasting with what is (at first reading) a clever twist ending. The Cave of Ali Baba is more a "thriller' than a mystery in the straight sense, but I always enjoyed it, especially for the villain and his faithful lady friend. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 20, 2015 |

Sayers, Dorothy L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayer, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bleck, CathieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crowley, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, PaavoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal, MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Egotists' Club is one of the most genial places in London.
I have always held that woman is a frivolous animal. A woman who pretends to be serious is wasting her time and spoiling her appearance. I consider that you have wasted your time to a really shocking extent. ("The Fascinating Problem of Uncle Meleager's Will")

Lord Peter Views the Body contains twelve short stories featuring Lord Peter Wimsey as detective:

• The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers

• The Learned Adventure of the Dragon's Head

• The Piscatorial Farce of the Stolen Stomach

• The Unsolved Puzzle of the Man with No Face

• The Adventurous Exploit of the Cave of Ali Baba

One solution requires expertise in fine wines; another calls on his knowledge of fine art. Lord Peter has the knack of being on the spot at just the right time to spot a thief or blackmail a blackmailer. Or even prevent a murder ...Whatever the occasion, the aristocratic detective uses his razor-sharp mind and unerring instincts to unmask the guilty and go to the aid of their victims. 'She combined literary prose with powerful suspense, and it takes a rare talent to achieve that. A truly great storyteller.' Minette Walters

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

Nine mystery stories in which the aristocratic sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey tackles seemingly insoluble crimes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible