The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer

The Salamander Room (1991)

by Anne Mazer

686None13,832 (4.56)4

alishablaire | Mar 18, 2014 |
Nice :) ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
I loved this book as a child, and I still find it thoroughly charming today. The boy, Brian, finds a salamander in the woods and brings it home. He then explains to his mother just how he would create a perfect habitat for the salamander in his room (I'm especially fond of the part about lifting the roof off). This would be an excellent book to expose children to the basics of ecology, and to show them how all living things are interconnected, so that even a small salamander needs an entire forest to survive. The illustrations and prose are very inviting (who would not want to "sleep on a bed under the stars, with the moon shining through the green leaves of the trees"?) and celebrate a child's love of nature. ( )
  Heather39 | Oct 22, 2013 |
In this deceptively simple picture-book, young Brian finds an orange salamander in the woods, and brings him home. Brian's mother wonders how the salamander will live in his room, and a lovely dialogue develops, as Brian describes the many changes he will make, in order to create a habitable environment for his new friend...

The Salamander Room is an excellent little title, ideal for teaching children about the habitat needs of other species, and would probably also function very well as an explanation at to why some species should not be kept as pets. The illustrations have a quiet and luminous quality that is very appealing. I do find it odd that every on-line picture of this title that I come across shows an image in which both Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher are credited as illustrators, when my copy simply gives Steven Johnson's name. The title page does mention Fancher, crediting him with the "design" of the book... Very odd.

However that may be, I am happy to have discovered this visually appealing title, suitable for young nature lovers. ( )
2 vote AbigailAdams26 | Jul 15, 2013 |
I can't count the number of times I read this aloud to my usually story-phobic kid. He preferred field guides to narratives, but would always sit still for this lovely, quiet story of a boy who loved salamanders so much he would remodel his room for their comfort. I love this book with all my heart. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Anne Mazerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mollie. -- A. M.
For Joel, Erin, Dale, and Tessa, and a special thanks to Dave R. -- S. J. & L. F.
Brian found a salamander in the woods. It was a little orange salamander that crawled through the dried leaves of the forest floor.

A boy finds a salamander in the woods and imagines the many things he can do to turn his room into a perfect salamander home. Together, Anne Mazer and Steve Johnson have created a woodland paradise that any salamander would love to share with a child.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:49 -0400)

A young boy finds a salamander and thinks of the many things he can do to make a perfect home for it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible