Fish by L.S. Matthews
113None106,330 (3.83)None

Fabulous story about a young boy, nicknamed Tiger, and his parents who are aid workers working in a drought affected country that is being devastated by war. When teh war comes to their village the family is forced to flee, but not before Tiger rescues a fish he found in the mud of a dried up pool. Thus begins a terrible trip the family must make, with the aid of the Guide, to freedom.
L.S Mathews writes with sensitivity and clarity to weave a story with many layers. ( )
  Leov | Jun 2, 2010 |
FISH is a story about a young character that take responsibility for the life of a fish that is struggling in a mud puddle. Although Tiger, the character, is being forced to leave the village, the fish is still important and Tiger decides to do anything it takes to save the fish. The important moral of the story is that even though saving the life of a small fish seems absurd to some people, Tiger is still making a difference and it doesn't matter how small the difference is, as long as you are dedicated to your actions.

I really like this story because it really hits home for me. I am very sensitive to animal life and it shows that even though Tiger could have focused on his own life, he still took responsibility and saved the life of a dying fish.

This book would be a good choice when studying animal life or responsibility. Even though the story did not clearly tell whether Tiger was male or female, it makes it easier for students to place themselves in Tiger's shoes and see what it would feel like to make a difference.
  acorey | Mar 28, 2010 |
A child and her family (as I recall both the child's age and gender are not spelled out to the reader) leave the town where they have been living as war encroaches. Again I cannot remember if it was spelled out but it seems clear that the parents were missionaries. While packing the child acquires a fish to take with them on their journey -- amazing the fish, which seemed large manages to fit inside the available spaces.
I found the tone rather charming and mysterious, but the religious subplot left me often confused. ( )
  alice443 | Oct 14, 2009 |
As fighting closes in on the village where Tiger's parents have been helping the villagers, the three and a mysterious guide set out on a difficult and dangerous journey to safety. Tiger brings along a fish which he found in a puddle and the guide provides a donkey who seems to know the safest ways to travel.
  prkcs | Jan 25, 2007 |
A child (of indeterminate gender) is forced to flee a war-torn country with their parents who are aid workers. On Amazon one reviewer claims this is a thinly veiled Christian allegory....

From LETTERBOX LIBRARY:
My story starts the day I found the fish, struggling for life in a dried-out puddle. The day we had to leave our home behind for ever, because of the fighting and danger. Age 8+. Paperback 183pp

Price: £4.99
  UWC_PYP | Jun 3, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385731809, Hardcover)

In L.S. Matthews's inspiring story of altruism and human resilience, a young (presumably British) child of undetermined gender flees with Mum and Dad, a guide, a donkey, and a rescued fish when war comes to the desolate, desperate village where his/her parents are aid workers. Fish tracks the family's harrowing journey to a safe boundary, a trek with dangerous challenges that force the youngster, nicknamed Tiger, to rapidly evolve beyond the "silly little child" Tiger felt he/she was. Readers will find parallels between Tiger protecting the rescued fish; the gentle, intuitive guide looking out for Tiger's family; and the parents risking their safety for the impoverished villagers.

Tiger's first-person narrative is often amusing and genuinely childlike, keeping the episodic story buoyant despite the harsh realities of fleeing on foot through an inhospitable landscape. When Tiger's feet are rubbed raw and bloody from walking, he/she observes, "I was pleased that the damage was so impressive. You know how much something can hurt, but there's nothing to show for it, sometimes." The fact that the specific war-torn country is not named creates several awkward moments ("...we didn't come from the country we were living in now"). Otherwise, Fish, Matthew’s first book, is the riveting survival story and thoughtful coming-of-age tale of the brave, likeable Tiger, who proves to be as tough as his/her name. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:40 -0400)

As fighting closes in on the village where Tiger's parents have been working, the three of them and a mysterious guide set out on a difficult journey to safety.

8 avail.5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,408,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible