Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) by…

Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) (edition 1995)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:mirrordrum
Title:Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperTorch (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages

Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (Author)

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

This is the first in the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers. We are introduced to several characters who will appear in the novels that follow. Sayers touches on Lord Peter's shell shock as a result of his time in the trenches of WWI, and we get to know his trusty and devoted manservant Bunter who was with him during the war.

The story starts with an unidentified body in the bathtub of an acquaintance of Lord Peter's mother. The body is naked except for a gold pince-nez and bears a very slight resemblance to a missing financier. Is it the same man? How did he get into that bathtub? Peter and his friend Inspector Parker work together to solve the mystery.

This was a very good first of series. Not her best, but I am a fan of Dorothy Sayers.

Read February 2015 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
I had no real expectations when going in and somewhat thought I'd have to push myself to read and complete. Not exactly sure why, but that was my "going in" opinion. Then I started and it wasn't exactly what I expected. Not like other mysteries written at the time and set at the time.

Then again, most of the ones I've read written at the time were in some small village somewhere in England, while this one was in London. I'd actually forgotten that aspect until I just now started thinking of differences between this and others written at the time.

I did think while reading the book, though, that there was a vague Jeeves and Wooster vibe. Probably unfair to both Sayers and Wodehouse. Though Lord Peter Wimsey is something of a lay-about who, somewhat on a lark, looks into crimes. And has a butler who, at times, appears somewhat more together and/or sane (butler/valet?). And the book did open with Wimsey popping in and out of his place attempting to go to a book auction but having to return because he kept forgetting things. Absent minded and a bit whimsical was initial impression given.

Well, the book involves Wimsey causally getting himself involved in two crimes. The mystery of the dead unknown guy in the bathtub, and the mystery of the missing financier. Wimsey somewhat oddly gets entangled with a guy named Parker, or, I should say, Parker oddly gets entangled with Wimsey.

Assigned to the case of the missing financier, Parker bumps into Wimsey and they, for a lark?, agree to exchange cases. Wimsey starts inspecting the missing dude case, while Parker looks into the matter of the dead naked dude found-in-the-bathtub. Oh, both mysteries happened the same night/morning, and both involve men roughly 50 years of age who have vague resemblances to each other. The police inspector investigating the dead dude even thinks that that dead guy is the missing financier. That inspector, a Suggs if I recall correctly, is not directly involved in Parker's or Wimsey's investigations.

Oh, and while I mention an exchange, it's more of a collaboration on both cases.

An interesting book, and an interesting twist on what I'm used to from mysteries written in that time period. The period between the wars. As in WWI and WWII. I'd recommend the book. And, strangely, I actually think I might go ahead and read more in this series. I had thought this was just going to be a quick little dip in Sayer's world.

Side note: Looking at shelves. I'm not sure how to label this one. Parker is in the police force and has a big role in the book. Lord Wimsey jokingly calls himself a private investigator, at least there's a scene with his brother wherein he notes that the brother might find himself in the future happy to have a private investigator in the family. And he was hired by someone to investigate. It was touched on briefly. I'm not sure if I dreamed that or if that actually occurred. He certainly never gave reports to anyone, or did anything much to reinforce the 'working for someone' aspect. ( )
  Lexxi | Jul 14, 2015 |
A body is found in a bath, naked except for a pince-nez, and a prominent financier is missing, but the body is not his. The first Peter Wimsey story, with a convoluted (devious but utterly unlikely) plot, helpfully explained by the letter of confession at the end. This novel is enjoyable to me for the characters: Lord Peter of course, but the invaluable Bunter, and the Dowager Duchess, who is full of mischief. The relationship between Bunter and Lord Peter: master and servant, former officers in WW1, carer and patient and colleagues in detection etc is well-drawn and convincing and the best thing about this book. ( )
  pgchuis | Jun 27, 2015 |
I was honestly disappointed in this book and in Sayers' writing. I had heard rave reviews about her books and how Dorothy L. Sayers was "another Agatha Christie". However, Sayers strayed from the storyline and left holes in the plot. There were so many added pages that it was almost confusing. Unlike Hercule Poirot, and other characters of Christie's, Lord Peter Whimsey was not a character that you could immediately like or feel friendly with.
The mystery itself was interesting, if only the story could have kept my attention.... ( )
  KristaK | May 14, 2015 |
I originally started trying to read Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries about 10-15 years ago, and only got about a 1/3 of the way through. It was a thoroughly delightful surprise then to go back, and find out how good these are.

The stories are set in 1920's England (for all of you Downton fans, a perfect setting). The characters are superb. One can spend hours chuckling at the interaction between Lord Peter and Bunter, his valet. One also finds the origins of the strong friendship between the two.

Overall, a simply delightful book - and I now understand why these are classics of the golden age of British mysteries. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Mar 29, 2015 |

Kendall, RoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michal,MarieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To M. J. Dear Jim: This book is your fault. If it had not been for your brutal insistence, Lord Peter would never have staggered through to the end of the enquiry. Pray consider that he thanks you with his accustomed suavity. Yours ever, D. L. S.
'Oh damn!' said Lord Peter Wimsey at Piccadilly Circus.
"Look here, Peter," said the other [Parker] with some earnestness, "Suppose you get this playing-fields-of-Eton complex out of your system once and for all. There doesn't seem to be much doubt that something unpleasant has happened to Sir Reuben Levy. Call it murder, to strengthen the argument. If Sir Reuben has been murdered, is it a game? and is it fair to treat it as a game?"
"That is what I'm ashamed of, really," said Lord Peter. "It IS a game to me, to begin with, and I go on cheerfully, and then I suddenly see that somebody is going to be hurt, and I want to get out of it." (Chapter VII, Leipzig: The Albatross 1938, p. 176)

Lord Peter's erster Fall: Der biedere Mr. Thipps, dem man sicher kein Unrecht tut, wenn man ihn einen Spießer nennt, überrascht eines unschönen Morgens in seiner Badewanne einen sehr toten und sehr unbekleideten Mann. Mr. Thipps beteuert, mit der Sache nicht das geringste zu tun zu haben. Doch hat man nicht schon oft in stillen Wassern Abgründiges entdeckt.

Cover description (1938): This is a Lord Peter Wimsey story. Need we say more? For Lord Peter Wimsey is one of the most attractive detectives of fiction. Nor is it necessary to say (since Dorothy L. Sayers is the author) that while you will enjoy this book as a detective story, you will enjoy it equally for its delightful touches of humour, its clever characterization and attractive style.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043575, Mass Market Paperback)

The stark naked body was lying in the tub.Not unusual for a proper bath, but highly irregular for murder -- especially witha pair of gold pince-nez deliberately perched before the sightless eyes. What's more, the face appeared to have been shaved after death. The police assumed that the victim was a prominent financier, but Lord Peter Wimsey, who dabbled in mystery detection as a hobby, knew better. In this, his first murder case, Lord Peter untangles the ghastly mystery of the corpse in the bath.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

Lord Peter Wimsey encounters his first murder case when the body of a prominent financier is discovered in a bathtub, and Wimsey finds clues in the body's post-murder facial shave and a pair of gold pince-nez.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101646, 1400111307

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,117,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible