King Dork by Frank Portman

King Dork

by Frank Portman

Being of the nerd persuasion, I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Tom is an angsty teen, yes, a dork, but he does have a close pal Sam and they're constantly starting bands with ever-changing names. They even actually play in public sometimes. Being an angsty teen, Tom also has girl problems. Mainly, who is the mysterious Fiona he met and made out with at a party? Is that even her real name? Trying to find Fiona, he encounters another strangely willing girl who hooks up with him when her other boyfriend isn't around. And there's his deceased father - did he kill himself, what do the mysterious jottings in his old books mean, and can the evil assistant principal shed any light? There is a sequel forthcoming, and I guess I'd read it if it fell into my lap (or appeared on the Times book giveaway table), but I won't go out of my way. ( )
  ennie | Jun 22, 2014 |
This book was long, tedious, and boring. By the time we got to any sort of real plot development or advancement (approximately 250 pages into a 340 page book), I had completely stopped caring, even though there is a constant barrage of information and epiphanies for the last 100 pages or so. Maybe I just don't care about the inner ramblings of teenage boys, or I'm too jaded and far-removed from my high school days to appreciate what this book is trying to do, but I would not recommend it to anyone. ( )
  photonegative | May 2, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot at first. The story is, in many ways, charming. But by the end, i concluded that the frequent amount of blow jobs and other sexual activities portrayed as happening among high school kids was entirely unrealistic. At least among the high school kids I knew.
It's a damn shame, too, because this book was very funny and I started out really liking it. But every girl he encounters can't wait to give him a blow job, and I dont know, wishful thinking on the part of the author perhaps?
Still, there are good things about this book. ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Best part besides being brutally funny is the band names the characters come up with. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
King DORK, more like...oh wait. ( )
1 vote | AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
A teenage angster deals with high school: parental units, cliques, drugs, dorkometers, sex (the good and the ugly) and Rock and Roll. The teenager's dad has died of mysterious circumstances. He finds his dad's old books. The books offer clues. The clues are kind of a Hamlet like Ghost thing; helping him deal with high society in a strange teenage wasteland. The book offers insights on how music can be a powerful force in a youth's life. It shows how writing fan zines help a kid have a voice where his voice is powerless in a world not quite ready for his opinions.

I loved the relationships described in the book. One relationship that was developed very well was the main character and his step dad. The step dad is so out of touch, but he wants to be liked by his stepson. He ends up playing a role not suited for him the "adult teenager". Older guys looks so fake when they try to be hip.

The book is definitely from a different culture than the one down here in the bible belt. Psychology is the parent's religion. The parents often want to discuss feelings. And violence is frowned upon. Down here in 863 Christianity is the religion. The parents want to discuss the bible. And violence and hunting are things dad and sons do on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday Nights. (This is a generalization it does not imply that all are like this.)

The book is a great examination of the idea of validation. We all want to be recognized, have some sort of power, and some control of our lives.

I am glad I picked up this book and gladly give it a big clucks up!

And afterwards, in radiant garments dresed
With sound of flutes and laughing of glad lips,
A pomp of all the passions passed along
All the night through; till the white phantom ships
Of dawn sailed in. Whereat I said this song,
"Of all sweet passions Shame is loveliest."
-Lord Alfred Douglas
It started with a book.

A realistic/mystery novel in the same vein as Catcher in the Rye. Our protagonist is a social misfit/outcast trying to not only fit in, but also get laid and solve several mysteries throughout the novel.

High school loser Tom Henderson discovers that "The Catcher in the Rye" may hold the clues to the many mysteries in his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible