The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (2007)

by Markus Zusak

32,394184441 (4.37)4 / 1937
Recently added byNeta13, rena75, Abigail-Harrelson, BrianD138, private library, ReadersCandyb, maritsiq, BaynesWorld
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti (tiltheworldends)
    tiltheworldends: Nonfiction about BDM that Liesel was required to attend and Hitler Youth group that Rudy belonged to.
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe (_eskarina)
    _eskarina: Similar setting (WWII), similar emphasis on the power of the books.

Europe (153)

English (1,737)  Dutch (30)  Spanish (20)  French (11)  German (9)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Swedish (4)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Slovak (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  All languages (1,842)
This book can only be described one way, a classic. It's words were like a literary hug... Each one surrounded me, embraced, and slowly seeped into my blood stream. Their impact pulled me in with turmoil and surrounded me with tragedy. It wasn't an easy book to read, but it's one I will never forget.

Liesel may just be my favorite heroine of all time. Her gentleness and immaturity grew into raw bravery and her ugly journey was full of hope. Her story starts with her brother dying and her mother giving her away. She ends up with adoptive parents and a world full of questions. The aggravating boy next door becomes her best friend/first love and a jew moves into her basement. One thing ties all of these things together... Words. The simple, yet complex act of reading brings her family and friends closer. Her papa teaches her love through ink on pages and in the end she returns the favor. Stealing books becomes her thing and what a thing it is...

My heart was filled to the brim while reading this book. It's a different type of historical with a new take on the enemy side. I found myself confused, angry, and sad, but most importantly... overwhelmed by how educated I felt once I finished. The narrator was a unique twist and helped pack the hard punch the story needed. I don't want to say I loved it because to love a story so full of tragedy is a tad morbid, but I did love the overall execution and grit that lined the pages. I loved the love between the characters and I loved the bittersweet ending. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
Twelve year old Liesel Meminger has books to keep her going. After taking a train to her new home, she now lives with her foster parents, Hans and Rosa Hubermann. She lives with the Hubermanns in a town outside of Munich in 1939. Liesel sees the horrors of the Nazi regime firsthand. She steals books that the Nazis want to destroy and any book she can get her hands on. Her foster father has taught her to read, and she shares the books she steals with Max Vanderberg. Max is a Jewish refugee and his family is hiding in the Hubermanns' basement. Eventually, Liesel starts to write about what she sees and shares her stories with Max. I do not want to give anything else away! I feel this book should be read by adults too even though this book is targeted for YA readers.I feel both age groups can benefit from the lessons based on history shared in this book. ( )
  tatalai | Apr 20, 2019 |
Oh my God! This is a book full of emotions. This is one of the best books I've ever read. I wish the author was my friend and I could discuss this book with him. ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
I thought if I read it one more time, that I could give it up and pass it on. No way! I'm in love with it more than the first time. It's going to be on the forever mine shelf.
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
The Australian writer Markus Zusak's brilliant and hugely ambitious new young-adult novel is startling in many ways, but the first thing many teenagers will notice is its length: 552 pages! It's one thing to write a long book about, say, a boy who happens across a dragon's egg; it's quite another to write a long, achingly sad, intricately structured book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death itself.

The book's length, subject matter and approach might give early teen readers pause, but those who can get beyond the rather confusing first pages will find an absorbing and searing narrative.

"The Book Thief" attempts and achieves great final moments of tear-jerking sentiment. And Liesel is a fine heroine, a memorably strong and dauntless girl. But for every startlingly rebellious episode... there are moments that are slack.

Writing fiction about the Holocaust is a risky endeavor. Most children learn about it in history class, or through nonfiction narratives like Eli Wiesel's "Night." Zusak has done a useful thing by hanging the story on the experience of a German civilian, not a camp survivor, and humanizing the choices that ordinary people had to make in the face of the Führer. It's unlikely young readers will forget what this atrocity looked like through the eyes of Death.

The Book Thief is unsettling and unsentimental, yet ultimately poetic. Its grimness and tragedy run through the reader's mind like a black-and-white movie, bereft of the colors of life. Zusak may not have lived under Nazi domination, but The Book Thief deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Elie Wiesel's Night. It seems poised to become a classic.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Carol Memmott (Mar 20, 2006)

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,240,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible