The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (2005)

by Markus Zusak, Trudy White (Illustrator)

28,510173933 (4.37)4 / 1865
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

English (1,631)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (19)  French (9)  German (9)  Portuguese (6)  All (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Italian (3)  All (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Slovak (1)  All (1,730)
Summary: Liesel is a foster girl living in Germany. She gets to experience the Holocaust from a different stand point; on the outside walls looking into the ghetto. She and her friend go around stealing books during the burnings and the raids. The most exciting part of the book is that Liesel’s foster parents are hiding a Jewish man in their basement.

Personal Response: I love to read Holocaust literature, and am always searching for new books to read that aren’t from the concentration camps. One of my students suggested to me this book, and once I read it, I couldn’t get enough of it. The narrator of this book is Death himself. He follows this young girl around during a time when death is everywhere. This book had me in tears by the end of it, but it was beautifully written. I especially liked the fact that this book was from a different perspective other than the concentration camp. I would highly recommend this novel to young readers.

Curriculum Connection: This novel would be great for young readers who are interested in WWII literature. The fact that this novel is told from a very different perspective excites readers. ( )
  Lisette25 | Feb 26, 2017 |
I think that this book could be used to implicitly and explicitly teach about WWII and the type of pain so many people endured during the time. The book is written from the perspective of death itself, which provides a neutral lens in which to view the characters in, and only tells you what it witnesses during this time. It's also an intense, well written historical fiction novel that can be read in or out of the classroom. This is a novel I would recommend to kids of older grades (6th and up), but a riveting story that reveals lots of true components of that time period very accurately. ( )
  gabitouriel | Feb 23, 2017 |
My new favorite book of all time! Max, I love you! ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
For the love of books! This story is fascinating in that it follows the life of Liesel throughout WWII. Her story is fascinating and her love of books help change her character and escape the world in which she lives. I enjoyed how the author used Death as the narrator of the book. I couldn't imagine the story told from another perspective. ( )
  SraSpoer | Feb 21, 2017 |
Death narrates this book, and he's pretty irritating in his style of doing so. At least initially. After a while you start to warm to him and by the end you find he's a pretty decent personification. (it's not his fault. He just collects the souls).

This book is full of characters. Mainly decent German ones during the period leading up to and during the second world war. Quite a few bad ones too. And Death is continually floating around being very busy. This is a book about growing up, good v evil and Death's inability to understand mankind. There is a tension throughout most of the book and particularly towards the end where you are waiting for the bad things to happen. Although some bad things do happen it's Death that seems to make things all right in the end.
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
Amazing the way something so beautiful can be written about such a dark period. Involving and completely addictive.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja swasta (Mar 30, 2012)

This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bank (Jan 28, 2007)

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja cpns (Jan 6, 2007)

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bumn (Dec 31, 2006)

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja 2017 (May 14, 2006)

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,725,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible