The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (2005)

by Markus Zusak, Trudy White (Illustrator)

28,282172434 (4.37)4 / 1860
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

English (1,622)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (19)  French (9)  German (9)  Portuguese (6)  All (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Italian (3)  All (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Slovak (1)  All (1,721)
A young adult story of a small German town near Dachau during the Holocaust. The book-thief is a young girl, left by her impoverished mother with foster parents. Haunted by the death of her younger brother on the train before even reaching their new home, the girl gradually becomes embedded in a number of relationships with the townspeople, and, centrally, a Jew, in hiding from the Nazis, who begs for and is given shelter in the basement. There is much death to deal with. By making Death the narrator, Zusak replaces shock with melancholic foreshadowing.

While there's nothing amazing or surprising here, the book is carefully crafted, and the characters well developed. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Jan 16, 2017 |
The Book Thief handles its heavy subject matter with clever wit, making it easier to digest but still allowing its impact to be felt. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jan 15, 2017 |
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak I wish I could have reviewed this book as soon as I finished it because I was feeling and thinking so many things I wanted to comment about and now I can't remember half of them.

The story is about Liesel Meminger, a 9-year-old girl living with her foster parents in Nazi Germany, and everything that surrounds her: Mama, Papa, her dead brother, the memory of her real mother, her dad's accordion, her best friend Rudy, book thieving, the Jew hiding in the basement, and, of course, Death.

For starters, the narrator is Death and that fact alone is interesting from page one. The fact that Death turns out to be a nice "person" is even more interesting and I loved whenever Death talked in the first person, always adding some interesting bits of information or recollections.

I loved almost every character, Liesel's new mama was stern and a bit rough around the edges, but she had such a big heart underneath it all, you just had to love her. Her papa was the best character for me, always understanding, always trying to be the best person he could be, even when that was incredibly rare and hard to do under those circumstances.

I loved Rudy, who unlike all boys his age wasn't afraid of girls and was convinced he would kiss Liesel someday (and she was going to want it!) and who stood by her no matter what. He is brave and kind, and he wants to be Jesse Owens, even when it's wrong to want to be a black person.

I loved Max, and the special bond he forms with Liesel, around books, nightmares, and stories. I loved how this book reminds you how books make you feel, even if you only have one and it's a Grave Digger's Handbook.

I didn't think this book was perfect, but it was interesting from the very beginning until the last page. I felt sad, happy, scared, curious, and everything you're supposed to feel when you're reading a book that stays with you somehow for a long time after you've finished it. Five stars!

[I'm counting this book as part of my 2014 TBR Pile Challenge, and the 2014 Soup Reading Challenge] ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
I simply did not like the author's style of writing, so I found it difficult to read. ( )
  irene0001 | Jan 11, 2017 |
I definitely liked this book, and I cried plenty, though I cry in ketchup commercials, but it felt about a hundred pages longer than necessary, and a bit manipulative. I can definitely see it as a great young adult novel. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Amazing the way something so beautiful can be written about such a dark period. Involving and completely addictive.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja swasta (Mar 30, 2012)

This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bank (Jan 28, 2007)

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja cpns (Jan 6, 2007)

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bumn (Dec 31, 2006)

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja 2017 (May 14, 2006)

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,654,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible