dismiss

The Book Thief (Book Sense Book of the Year…

The Book Thief (Book Sense Book of the Year Children's Literature… (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Markus Zusak

35,081193140 (4.37)4 / 1957
Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors.
Member:baerana
Title:The Book Thief (Book Sense Book of the Year Children's Literature (Awards))
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2006), Hardcover

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Recently added byDreameher, private library, Zuzika, gjudit8, sami7, Haleema-imran, Eandrer, gebidwell, rocgod
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates: Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti (tiltheworldends)
    tiltheworldends: Nonfiction about BDM that Liesel was required to attend and Hitler Youth group that Rudy belonged to.
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

Europe (508)

English (1,811)  Dutch (31)  Spanish (22)  French (11)  German (9)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Portuguese (5)  Swedish (4)  Italian (4)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Arabic (1)  Slovak (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  All languages (1,920)
Remek szerkezetű könyv és erről az oldaláról még nem olvastam a háborúnak. ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
No words to explain this outstanding book😭 ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
Actual rating 2.5/5
This is an okay book. It isn't bad but isn't exactly good either. I bored me for a good part.
Even before I knew that this was a bestseller, I was instantly attracted to the book by its name and that was a long time ago. Since then, I have seen it sitting in shelves, being quoted and being worshipped. That kind of toned it down for me. I still really wanted to read it, but I thought I wasn't mature enough for something serious.

And now, after so many years, I finally thought I was ready for it. The book everyone was praising. The book everyone was loving. I couldn't resist and borrowed it from the library instead of buying it but I promised that I will buy it later. I was so sure of this book being awesome.

It wasn't. Don't get me wrong. It isn't bad, but it isn't awesome either. It had so much potential, such a good writing style but it kinda ruined itself.

Let's just admit, we judge a book by its beginning and the end (which were both good in this book's case) but the core of the story lies in the middle. And I despise the stories that can't make my brain work half way through them. The books that don't make me wonder or be curious or love the characters, I am sorry but I don't like them.

And I was sick of the way Death was narrating this story. Maybe he doesn't like mysteries but I do. Stop giving me spoilers! Death totally ruined the story for me. He was great in the first few pages and also in the last ones, but I just can't imagine him narrating any of the other stuff in the book.

But honestly, I can't deny that some moments were really good. The book, however, was way too lengthy and the writing style was getting boring after a while. This kind of way with words is only okay when the story is about 300 pages or less.
I like to read books in longer sittings and this one had my head hurting in just about half an hour. I like a gripping tale. And this wasn't one. It was good. It really was but it could have been so much better if it wasn't so boring.

I am more sad because, it could have been a really good book. It could have been my favourite book, but it wasn't. It was a waste of an awesome title. I just wish it could connect with me because everything about it was beautiful EXCEPT I don't like books just because they are beautiful.

Tl;Dr
The book is full of spoilers in itself. It kind of gets annoying (not smart Zusak, honestly). Too lengthy. And not for people who like thinking more than feeling. ( )
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |
The only interesting part was the perspective of the soul retrieving narrator. Took a lot of determination to get through the book. Perhaps I preferred Anne Frank. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
It took me a while to get into this book, and it wasn't an easy read. The setting (Germany during the second world war) and the tone of foreboding established early on by the narrator made even the most lighthearted sections shadowed and painful.

But it was, nevertheless, a wonderful book, and a hopeful book. Highly recommended. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
The Australian writer Markus Zusak's brilliant and hugely ambitious new young-adult novel is startling in many ways, but the first thing many teenagers will notice is its length: 552 pages! It's one thing to write a long book about, say, a boy who happens across a dragon's egg; it's quite another to write a long, achingly sad, intricately structured book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death itself.

The book's length, subject matter and approach might give early teen readers pause, but those who can get beyond the rather confusing first pages will find an absorbing and searing narrative.

"The Book Thief" attempts and achieves great final moments of tear-jerking sentiment. And Liesel is a fine heroine, a memorably strong and dauntless girl. But for every startlingly rebellious episode... there are moments that are slack.

Writing fiction about the Holocaust is a risky endeavor. Most children learn about it in history class, or through nonfiction narratives like Eli Wiesel's "Night." Zusak has done a useful thing by hanging the story on the experience of a German civilian, not a camp survivor, and humanizing the choices that ordinary people had to make in the face of the Führer. It's unlikely young readers will forget what this atrocity looked like through the eyes of Death.

The Book Thief is unsettling and unsentimental, yet ultimately poetic. Its grimness and tragedy run through the reader's mind like a black-and-white movie, bereft of the colors of life. Zusak may not have lived under Nazi domination, but The Book Thief deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Elie Wiesel's Night. It seems poised to become a classic.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Carol Memmott (Mar 20, 2006)

Markus Zusakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.

Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
An accordion
There was once a strange, small man
Liesel Meminger

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,862,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible