The Book Thief (Readers Circle) by Markus…

The Book Thief (Readers Circle) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Markus Zusak

29,060174731 (4.37)4 / 1870
Member:felinedream
Title:The Book Thief (Readers Circle)
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 576 pages

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Recently added byMeashin, private library, NateHaas, addizdarevic, bAnd.dork, OncomingStorm, RachelTrumbower, Wollert
Legacy LibrariesCian O hAnnrachainn
    Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookGirlVL)
    BookGirlVL: The story is told from the point of view of a precocious eleven year old with a passion for poisons and death. Her favourite places to think are in the cemetery and in the old chemistry lab in the country house, she shares with her annoying sisters and preoccupied father. The witty, lively and whimsical narrative voice immediately reminded me of Zusak's "The Book Thief".… (more)

English (1,643)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (19)  German (9)  French (9)  Portuguese (6)  Catalan (6)  All (5)  Swedish (4)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (3)  All (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Slovak (1)  All (1)  All (1,743)
I had heard about this book for quite some time before I actually decided to read it. I didn't know much about it except that just about everyone who had read it loved it and claimed it was one of their favorite books. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was my favorite book. However, I do feel like this book changed me, but perhaps not in the way that some might expect. This book broadened my vocabulary for my daily commute. No longer do I call the car who cuts me off a jerk. Instead I am much more likely to exclaim "Saumensch!" These characters live on past this book for me which I find to be extremely rare. I will probably never re-read the book but it is forever a part of me.

My favorite aspect about this novel was the unique point of view. The personification of Death, especially during this time period, was genius. It adds a unique spin. Although sometimes it made it difficult for me to follow along. I did listen to an audiobook though so maybe it is clearer when you actually sit down and read the novel.

As for the actual medium, I found this audiobook to be very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance, which for me is extremely rare.
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Quick review: the writing style was annoying, but the ending unexpectedly destroyed me so it deserves one more star just for that. ( )
  anagabymtz08 | Jun 25, 2017 |
Wow. I don't even know what to think or how to rate this yet. I can see why this book is so well liked (O HAI EMOTIONAL MANIPULATION~) but to be honest, it did nothing for me. Half the time I was bored out of my skull and forcing myself to finish it so I could move on to something else.

Some of the problems I had with The Book Thief:

-The heavy foreshadowing. It drove me insane.
-It's boring until you reach 75%.
-Choppy sentences. Like this. All throughout the book. Omg.
-What was the plot? Was there any plot? I don't think so.
-Death (the narrator) interrupting the story to give BREAKING NEWS. It completely jarred the reading experience for me.

What I loved:
-Taught me a few things about WWII that I didn't know.
-The description of the eyes. It made me swoon every time I read one.
-Rudy. Did he seriously have to die? Along with the rest of the town? And did I seriously need to know this 43% into the book? Even if I was reminded constantly that he was going to die, I cried when I read it. Still mad at myself for that one.

Overall, a depressing and boring read. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
I have been hearing about The Book Thief for some time, so knew pretty much what it was about, but nothing prepared me for how completely enthralling and touching this book is.

Set in the middle years of World War 2 in a small German town between Munich and Dachau, the story follows nine year old Liesel, sent to stay with a foster family when her communist parents are interned.

As you might expect given the setting, the novel is utterly heart wrenching, but also filled with pure beauty and, unexpectedly, many genuinely hilarious moments.

Zusak shows us how, even in the darkest of times, small acts of kindness can mean everything, how difficult and vital are small instances of bravery and resistance, how even when it may seem utterly futile any seed sown amongst the devastation may bring forth shoots and, most of all, the power and importance of words to connect people and keep hope alive.

This is a truly wonderful work of fiction, humane and profound, funny and devastatingly sad. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
Good read - Nazi Germany - Jews
Movie reasonable
  DannyKeep | Jun 7, 2017 |
The Australian writer Markus Zusak's brilliant and hugely ambitious new young-adult novel is startling in many ways, but the first thing many teenagers will notice is its length: 552 pages! It's one thing to write a long book about, say, a boy who happens across a dragon's egg; it's quite another to write a long, achingly sad, intricately structured book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death itself.

The book's length, subject matter and approach might give early teen readers pause, but those who can get beyond the rather confusing first pages will find an absorbing and searing narrative.

"The Book Thief" attempts and achieves great final moments of tear-jerking sentiment. And Liesel is a fine heroine, a memorably strong and dauntless girl. But for every startlingly rebellious episode... there are moments that are slack.

Writing fiction about the Holocaust is a risky endeavor. Most children learn about it in history class, or through nonfiction narratives like Eli Wiesel's "Night." Zusak has done a useful thing by hanging the story on the experience of a German civilian, not a camp survivor, and humanizing the choices that ordinary people had to make in the face of the Führer. It's unlikely young readers will forget what this atrocity looked like through the eyes of Death.

The Book Thief is unsettling and unsentimental, yet ultimately poetic. Its grimness and tragedy run through the reader's mind like a black-and-white movie, bereft of the colors of life. Zusak may not have lived under Nazi domination, but The Book Thief deserves a place on the same shelf with The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and Elie Wiesel's Night. It seems poised to become a classic.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Carol Memmott (Mar 20, 2006)

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible