The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Markus Zusak

23,562142047 (4.38)4 / 1708
Member:FemmeFare
Title:The Book Thief
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Recently added bysiquebella, kittybiz, private library, knersus, nycke137, amorarod, Musefall
    The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, RosyLibrarian)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    Those who save us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    City of Thieves by David Benioff (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Kolya reminds me of Rudy, a bit older but none wiser, with his self-assurance and confidence, ok maybe he has lost some of his sweetness, but I still see the humor and zest for life.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookGirlVL)
    BookGirlVL: The story is told from the point of view of a precocious eleven year old with a passion for poisons and death. Her favourite places to think are in the cemetery and in the old chemistry lab in the country house, she shares with her annoying sisters and preoccupied father. The witty, lively and whimsical narrative voice immediately reminded me of Zusak's "The Book Thief".… (more)
    Daniel Half-Human: and the Good Nazi by David Chotjewitz (fountainoverflows)

English (1,329)  Dutch (24)  Spanish (16)  German (9)  French (8)  Portuguese (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Slovak (1)  Thingamabraian (the ideal language) (1)  All languages (1,417)
I listened to this in audio form and this book is absolutely amazing. I knew what type of ending to expect going into this and I was not disappointed. ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book when I picked it up, but I was in for a wonderful surprise. What starts off as an interesting premise, the life of a young girl during WWII who loves books enough to go out of her way to obtain them, quickly becomes a story that you can't put down. All of the characters are charming and put through heart-wrenching circumstances that accurately reflect how life was in Germany during the war, and I was in tears more often than once. That said, there are certainly some funny and thoroughly memorable things that happen as well, and enough action to keep the story intense and in high-gear. After I finished the book I watched the movie and it too was worth every moment of my attention. This is a keeper for my own kids and grandchildren to read and watch. ( )
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |
Summary: The story is told by Death and it is s sotry of Liesel who is ten years old and is traveling on a train with her mother and little bother Werner. Liesel and Werner are being taken into Germany to be with foster parents. However, Werner dies on the train mysteriously but it had something to do with lack of poverty,hunger, cold, and medical treatment. During the funeral service, Liesal steals THe grave Diggers Handbook from the cemetery but she is unable to read. Once she is with her foster family, she starts school but is behind from the ability of not being able to read. Her foster father discovers the book she stole, and he is inspired to teach her to read. Basically the story reflect on the Nazi police and in the end , Liesel dies (when she is older) but did live a happy life with her husband, kids, and grandkids.
Personal REflection: The books has lots of twists and turns. I feel like the book can get a little confusing with so many plot twists in it. I enjoyed reading it and loved how suspicious it was. However, i may have over read this part, but what is the reasoning they were being put into foster care in the first place?
Classroom Extensions: Compare and contrast a poem "Death be not Proud" by John Donne to the book thief. Look back at the holocaust and use sources from this.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.

The Australian writer Markus Zusak's brilliant and hugely ambitious new young-adult novel is startling in many ways, but the first thing many teenagers will notice is its length: 552 pages! It's one thing to write a long book about, say, a boy who happens across a dragon's egg; it's quite another to write a long, achingly sad, intricately structured book about Nazi Germany narrated by Death itself.

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors.
"Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau

(Charles Duff description below)
This terrifically engaging book takes place during World War II in Nazi Germany.  An angel of sorts who collects souls once they die, narrates this story in which the angel talks about the book thief herself, young Liesel Meminger.  After losing her brother on the train to their foster home, Liesel comes across a book dropped by one of the grave diggers, The Grave Diggers Handbook.  She becomes immersed in books from there on out, but has to steal to get them because they are banned.  This is a great independent reading book for those in high school.  It has many direct elements associated with the Holocaust and Nazi Germany.  Here is a link to the authors wonderfully interactive website: http://www.randomhouse.com/features/m...
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:44 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,647,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible