The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Markus Zusak

28,309172934 (4.37)4 / 1861
Member:FemmeFare
Title:The Book Thief
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The History of Love: A Novel by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

English (1,627)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (19)  French (9)  German (9)  Portuguese (6)  All (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Italian (3)  All (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Slovak (1)  All (1,726)
A most unusual book, but the writing flowed. A story in the time of the Holocaust from a totally different perspective -- a much more intimate story of real lives. The ups and downs and daily living of a set of characters and how the historical events affected them in a small town while they tried to continue living as normally as possible. The story will take you through an array of emotions as you absorb the subtle details, laugh with the people, fear with the people, and try to wrap your mind around the unique narrator. The story is so much more than can be told in a review. I thank the author for writing it. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
I love this book. It made me so emotional. And not just for the reasons one would assume since it deals with the period during WWII when the Jews were treated so horribly. I loved it so much because of the understated relationships. Rosa Hubermann (Mama) seems so mean, but she's a softy at heart. Max Vandenburg, a Jewish man, goes through hell and should be broken, but because of all the little nothings that equal big somethings that Liesel Meminger does his spirt is fed. The relationship between Hans Hubermann (Papa) and Liesel is beautiful. All of the characters are going through so much hardship and many seem so uncaring until you see the real them. One of the most touching points of all was how much Rudy Steiner loves Liesel, the extents he will go for her. It makes me teary just thinking about what a good boy he was.
Great read, should be mandatory. Full of great words of wisdom. Makes you appreciate all the niceties you have in life while making you jealous of the deep relationships you've missed. With great pain comes great beauty. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Amazing the way something so beautiful can be written about such a dark period. Involving and completely addictive.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja swasta (Mar 30, 2012)

This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bank (Jan 28, 2007)

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja cpns (Jan 6, 2007)

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja bumn (Dec 31, 2006)

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja 2017 (May 14, 2006)

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giughese, Gian M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,816,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible