The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Markus Zusak

26,972166737 (4.37)4 / 1815
Member:AuthorMarion
Title:The Book Thief
Authors:Markus Zusak
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2006), Edition: First, Hardcover, 560 pages
Tags:Dachau, socialism, World War II, historical fiction

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (2005)

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (alalba, PghDragonMan, Anonymous user)
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Anonymous user: Both are about Holocaust. The Book Thief is from German girl's perspective whereas The Diary of a Young Girl is from a Jewish girl's perspective.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (paulkid, Anonymous user)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (Booksloth, frsantos)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (Smellsbooks, Morteana)
    The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (PghDragonMan, avidmom, rhshelver)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (weener)
    I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (whymaggiemay, rosylibrarian)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (kaipakartik)
    Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (TessaSlingerland)
    The Chosen by Chaim Potok (avidmom)
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene (bethielouwho)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (loriephillips)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (sleepykid00)
    sleepykid00: Both taken place during WWII, but in different perspectives.
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (whoot, booklove2)
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may linked with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink using the themes of reading, Nazi Germany and death. You could also pair it with the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman. Atonement by Ian McEwan could work as well because of the young protagonists, war, and reading.… (more)
    The history of love by Nicole Krauss (Ciruelo, heidialice)
    Edelweiss Pirates, Operation Einstein by Mark A. Cooper (davidparsons, jacobwilliams007)
    The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (mrstreme)
    The Girl in the Green Sweater: A Life in Holocaust's Shadow by Krystyna Chiger (elwren75)
    Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume (Runa)

English (1,559)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (17)  German (9)  French (8)  Portuguese (6)  Portuguese (Brazil) (5)  Catalan (5)  Swedish (4)  Norwegian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Thingamabrarian (the ideal language) (1)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,654)
For some reason I have put off reading this book. For no true reason, but I am glad my book group read it recently. Set in Nazi Germany over a span of a few years, this is the story of young Liesel, a girl essentially sold to a German couple living outside Munich. In her short life Liesel had experienced tremendous loss, but when Papa and Mama take her in her life changes. Things do not get easier, but she is offered a glimmer of hope. She discovers books and words, and although she is slow at learning, words become her life. What is unique about this story is that is being told by Death - the Grim Reaper himself. Death becomes humanly personified as he relays the story of Liesel's life and how he encountered her several times, but not while taking her soul.

I learned much of Germany during the war years from this novel. The thing conveyed the most was that not all Germans were heartless and not all Nazi's were heartless monsters. Many had to make horrible decisions and sacrifices in order to survive a terrible war and a terrible situation. It was not as easy as simply refusing to join the party or to follow orders. In fact, it probably as much courage to stay and to try to protect one's family as it did to fight or to leave for safer haven's. This was a truly unique, special book. ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
What a wonderful book. Narrated by Death, we read the story of a young girl in wartime Germany. The setting really does make the story. There is rather a lot of death in it which could make uncomfortable reading for some but I found it enjoyable and really quite helpfully sombre. The audiobook version I listened to was excellently read by Allan Corduner. ( )
  eclecticdodo | May 3, 2016 |
This story is all the more heart-wrenching because it is so ordinary. Liesel Meminger is not heroic, or especially talented, or beautiful, she is just an ordinary good German girl trying to survive the horrors of World War II. It will stay with you long after the last page is turned.

The author was clever to make death the narrator of her tale, and he used interjections that reminded me of Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. My only quibble is that it seemed overly long, I thought the middle could have used some editing.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
The Book Thief was one of my favorite books as a child and I still enjoy it today. This story was very touching and relatable to a young reader, preferably late elementary or middle school readers. The story takes place in Nazi Germany during World War II and while the story does have a tragic theme where Death is the narrator, the story does develop a great sense of how difficult life was during this strenuous time in history. Death follows a young girl, Liesel, who lives with foster parents and starts to attend school. She learns how to read and makes friends with others that are different than her. While it is slightly morbid, I enjoyed that the narrator was Death and it was interesting to look through the eyes of an all-knowing-narrator such as Death. I also enjoyed watching the relationship between Liesel and Max, as well as Liesel and Mrs. Hermann grow throughout the book. While Liesel was not Jewish, she was brave enough to fight for someone that was in a very oppressive time period in Germany. The book is long for a young reader, but the book includes some illustrations and a lot of imagery to assist the reader. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |
A fresh perspective on the Holocaust and WWII Germany. The characters are three dimensional and warm. There is the added suspense of wondering when Death will come into the narrative, since Death is the narrator. ( )
  wsdickman | Apr 30, 2016 |
Amazing the way something so beautiful can be written about such a dark period. Involving and completely addictive.
added by claudialima | editPortugal (Mar 30, 2012)

This over-praised, overlong novel is in trouble before it starts. The acknowledgments open with a tribute to someone “who is as warm as she is knowledgeable” and continue in the same saccharine manner.

Unsettling, thought-provoking, life-affirming, triumphant and tragic, this is a novel of breathtaking scope, masterfully told. It is an important piece of work, but also a wonderful page-turner. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

This is a moving work which will make many eyes brim. Zusak shows us how small defiances and unexpectedly courageous acts remind us of our humanity. It isn't only Death who is touched. Liesel steals our hearts too.

This is never an easy read, never a glide. But, in Zusak's ability to imagine and execute, he has achieved a very personal vision that grabs the reader and does not let go.

Zusak, Markusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, TrudyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ernst, AlexandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak,
with love and admiration
First the colors. Then the humans. That's how I see things. Or at least how I try.
Five hundred souls, I carried them in my fingers, like suitcases; or I'd throw them over my shoulder. It was only the children I carried in my arms. For some reason, dying men always ask questions they know the answer to. Perhaps it's so they can die being right.
In Liesel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it.
When the train pulled into the Bahnhof in Munich, the passengers slid out as if from a torn package.
A bathrobe answered the door. Inside it, a woman with startled eyes, hair like fluff and the posture of defeat stood in front of her.
The reply floated from his mouth, then moulded itself like a stain to the ceiling.
Unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul ... With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read ... Sharing her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids ... Plus, sharing with the Jewish a man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
Words become life to
girl in Nazi Germany -
Narrated by Death.
(elbakerone)
An accordion

There was once a strange, small man

Liesel Meminger

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:42 -0400)

Trying to make sense of the horrors of World War II, Death relates the story of Liesel--a young German girl whose book-stealing and story-telling talents help sustain her family and the Jewish man they are hiding, as well as their neighbors. Includes readers' guide.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible