The Killer's Tears by Anne-Laure Bondoux

The Killer's Tears (2003)

by Anne-Laure Bondoux

262None43,424 (3.94)11

English (52)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (55)
The writing style was precisely chosen and executed and gave The Killer's Tears a certain feeling but it was not a style I found attractive or interesting in the least. Everything is told in past-tense in a way "they met" "Angel pulled" Paolo asked" and so on, even as the action is happening in the story. For setting a style and upholding it strictly and well, the writing quality deserves a 5Q despite it not being to my taste.

As to my idea of its popularity, I feel that the universal feelings and the symbolic aspects of the story allow for it to be considered as a 4P-- "broad general or genre YA appeal" but I also believe that it may be a harder book to sell to a teen because it lacks immediacy and action. This book is perfect for introspective readers who will enjoy musing over the second-meanings of things throughout the story. It's not exactly a beach-read. ( )
  Lomilia | May 31, 2013 |
5Q, 2P - Despite some of the disturbing themes that I thought might be alienating to some teens, I thought that The Killer’s Tears was an important and poignant read. I actually liked how Bondoux wasn’t afraid of controversial topics or taboo characters. I admired Bondoux's writing style. Her poetic language was well formatted and aware of itself. I enjoyed her examination of the nonnuclear “family”, that is to say the ability to create one’s family, and ability to transform unlikable characters into sympathetic individuals struggling to overcome their upbringing and troubling pasts. The overall feel was almost surreal, like a dreamy, uncomfortable fairytale. This is presented in the beginning with the setting description and situations. The initial dinner scene between Angel and Paolo evokes an image of a brutal Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Bondoux, 5). ( )
  LibbyHopfauf | May 26, 2013 |
4Q/2P. The first thing Paolo Poloverdos does after his parents are murdered is prepare soup for their killer, Angel. A twisted relationship forms - one that at once shows Angel’s brutality and his tenderness. The transformative nature of the book is captivating, and it is what kept me reading. The slow pace was often off-putting, and the writing style or translation sometimes felt like a summary of events rather than an experience. That being said, other moments captured Angel’s anguish and his hope for some sort of redemption. I do not know whether young readers would have the patience for this story, but if they stuck with it, I think they would be the first to find the gems scattered throughout the story. ( )
  annbwes | May 26, 2013 |
4Q, 2P. I thought that the book was well written, but it would take some searching to find a teen who would really want to read it. I was pleasantly surprised by the book. It wasn't what I thought it would be. The beginning is off-putting, but the story grew on me. I thought that Angel and Paolo were fully-fleshed out characters and I liked the way that they changed over time. The whole thing was really interesting and kind of touching in an odd way. ( )
  vhuggins | May 24, 2013 |
In this evocative novel, about a young boy who is raised by the man that murdered his parents, there is a fairytale like quality. With a windswept setting, violence is mixed with love to tell a tale about metamorphosis, and the power of a single encounter and how it can change a person forever. Like Nothing by Janne Teller there is an intriguing premise that leaves lots of room for philosophical discussion. It is a book that will linger in thoughts for days to come.
  DanielleJones | May 22, 2013 |

On the afternoon when Angel Allegria arrives at the Poloverdos’ farmhouse, he kills the farmer and his wife. But he spares their child, Paolo–a young boy who will claim this as the day on which he was born. Together the killer and the boy begin a new life on this remote and rugged stretch of land in Chile.

Then Luis Secunda, a well-to-do and educated fellow from the city descends upon them. Paolo is caught in the paternal rivalry between the two men. But life resumes its course . . . until circumstances force the three to leave the farm. In doing so, Angel and Luis confront their pasts as well as their inevitable destinies–destinies that profoundly shape Paolo’s own future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:15 -0400)

A young boy, Paolo, and the man who murdered his parents, Angel, gradually become like father and son as they live and work together on the remote Chilean farm where Paolo was born.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible