The Year They Burned the Books by Nancy…

The Year They Burned the Books

by Nancy Garden

115None105,457 (3.73)2

What a horrible cover. It's not just that that made me think this book was written in the 80s. I dunno, it seems.. dated somehow, though I can't quite put my finger on it. I _think_ it's just stylistically. It wasn't a quick and easy YA type of read. Too much politics and blow-by-blow this-is-how-it-really-happens and not enough character and plot? I dunno.

For the subject matter, I feel I should give it a 4, but for the reading experience it gave me, I just couldn't. So 3 it is. ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
To the courageous plaintiffs, librarians, and lawyers, who saved ANNIE ON MY MIND from being permanently banned in the Olathe, Kansas, School District, with thanks and love!
Despite a foggy beginning, it had become too nice a day — a soft September afternoon — to be cooped up arguing in the Wilson High Telegraph's tiny office.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374386676, Hardcover)

High school condom distribution and a hotly contested sex education curriculum set a small New England town's blood boiling and books burning in The Year They Burned the Books, an issue-driven novel by Nancy Garden. Jamie Crawford is the senior editor of the "Telegraph," her high school's newspaper, but the publication of her editorial in favor of the school's new policy to distribute condoms happens to coincide with the election of a new, highly conservative school board member. As a result, Jamie suddenly finds her editorial voice gagged. Soon the school's health books have been removed from the classrooms for "review," a conservative parents' group stages a library book burning, and Jamie's beloved teacher is forced to resign as the newspaper's faculty advisor. Jamie's personal life also becomes more complicated as she tries to deal with her physical attraction to Tessa, a new girl at school. Then, on top of it all, Jamie and her best friend Terry (who is openly gay) are the victims of an attack by a group of conservative students and Jamie has to decide if she can handle the consequences of coming out.

Teens love controversies, especially those involving young people, and there is scarcely a hot topic here that Garden doesn't touch. Yet in spite of the scene-stealing issues, Garden's timeless message that hardship shapes character is illustrated well in Jamie's transition from a "maybe," (as in "maybe gay, maybe straight")to a "probably" by novel's end. An excellent choice for use in high school discussions about censorship and free speech. (Ages 13 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:26 -0400)

While trying to come to terms with her own lesbian feelings, Jamie, a high-school senior and editor of the school newspaper, finds herself in the middle of a battle with a group of townspeople over the new health education curriculum.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible