Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen

Native Tongue (original 1991; edition 1993)

by Carl Hiaasen

Series: Skink (2)

Member:utnjc1
Title:Native Tongue
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Pan Books (1993), Paperback, 336 pages

Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen (1991)

Recently added bynurho83, tmeadow, judypoq, almin, carlinryan, private library, cbeaulieu, CrazedCollector

Very reader needs one author who they can have in their book pile who provides a laugh or a lighthearted read when necessary. Carl Hiassen has become that author for me. I do not discriminate – I have read both his novels for adults and those for young adults. Both are great for adults and young readers and provide some levity in these strange and troubled times.

A pair of rare blue tongued voles have disappeared from a Florida Keys wild animal/amusement park run by a disreputable, shady owner. A group of local blue haired eco-conservationists are on the warpath and want justice for the missing voles.

Joe Winder, formerly a serious investigative journalist, now hating his job as public relations maven at said park, is fed up with the park, his bosses and the very light public relations releases he is forced to write. Additionally, Joe happens to love the local environment and does not want it further eradicated for golf courses.

Into the mix drop two inept burglars and a character I have written about in previous blogs, Skink. Skink is a former Florida governor who became disgusted with big business, development and the destruction of the environment and has become a renegade who lives off the grid and becomes part of many adventures.

As it turns out, the man who owns the wildlife park is in the Witness Protection Program and has decided to buy up what he considers swamplands in order to develop golf courses to make more money. The problem with Francis X. Kingsbury is that he never quite left his mob lifestyle behind and now he has all kinds of people on is tail looking to get even.

This is a fast paced story with many laughs. At no time do you feel a lag in the story. One of the strengths of Hiassen as an author is his ability to create wonderfully colorful characters and to keep the story rolling. So grab this one and take a reading vacation in the Florida Keys with swamp dwellers. ( )
  ozzie65 | Oct 11, 2017 |
3.75 stars

Two endangered voles (a specific type) – in fact the last ones on Earth! – are stolen from Animal Kingdom, a theme park/zoo in the Florida Keys. Characters in the book include the two bandits and an old woman (an activist who has a penchant for guns!), who get to know each other; the owner of the zoo, who has a questionable past, and some of his employees: one of the main ones being a PR script writer, who decides he doesn’t like all the lies he is asked to write to release to the media. Then… people start dying...

Hiaasen’s books always have so much going on, and plenty of zany characters! I quite enjoyed this one, possibly more than some of the others I’ve read, but not quite enough for a 4 star rating. I liked that Hiaasen brought back a character from a previous novel, though I can’t recall which novel, but I do vaguely remember him. I don’t think I found this as funny as some of his others, but that’s ok. I always like the environmental themes in his books. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 13, 2017 |
The funniest novel I have ever read. ( )
  PatrickMurtha | Aug 21, 2016 |
Pretty entertaining. A bit wackier than the Travis McGee books, but solidly in the same category on Floridian environmentalism. ( )
  cabri | Mar 27, 2016 |
George Wilson
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Carl Hiaasenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carson, Carol DevineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falls, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stimpson, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother Rob
On July 16, in the aching torpid heat of the South Florida summer, Terry Whelper stood at the Avis counter at Miami International Airport and rented a bright red Chrysler LeBaron convertible.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044669570X, Paperback)

Now reissued--one of the most beloved novels by the "New York Times" bestselling author in which dedicated, if somewhat demented, environmentalists battle sleazy real estate developers in the Florida Keys.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:51 -0400)

Now reissued--one of the most beloved novels by the \"New York Times\" bestselling author in which dedicated, if somewhat demented, environmentalists battle sleazy real estate developers in the Florida Keys.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible