The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love…

The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts (original 1992; edition 2010)

by Gary Chapman

Member:its-lauren2
Title:The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
Authors:Gary Chapman
Info:Northfield Publishing (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:**
Tags:love, relationships

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman (1992)

Recently added byprivate library, JohnKhoury, garbygal, BiblioSarah, Maniscalco, jekier, heathjeffery

English (66)  German (1)  All languages (67)
This was another book given to me on my wedding day. By my pastor friend who did our wedding. My wife has read it as a single woman and told me about it. I guess it was meant to be that it was given to me on a very special day. Men - it will save you a lot of headaches by just reading this book and knowing your partner's love language. Women - it will save you tears if you just knew what your man's love language is. Must read! ( )
  Mark_Oszoli | Nov 8, 2014 |
This is the first book on relationship that I've read after my marriage and I'm feeling that I should've read this before.

The book starts with explaining the 'in-love' feeling which spells out why people begin to love less and less after marriage. Though some of the tips the author provides are specific to an American relationship, you can easily revise/convert those according to your culture.

There is a part of the book that tells you do an exercise of defining what emotions you were going through during a particular event. I could quickly relate to this because even before I started this book, I started asking myself the below questions:
How am I feeling right now?
Why I am feeling so?
And what am I going to handle myself well through that situation?

I now know that I'm on the right path and that I have do to more of that throughout the day.

I have requested my wife to read that as well and she gladly obliged after I told her - please do this, not for me or for you, but for us.

As I was reading the book, I started making some (minor) changes in how I would behave / react to things that my wife spoke. As soon as the book ended, I made my list of things that I HAVE to do in my relationship with my better-half.

Yes, some of the points that the author mentions are very common sense-ish. But once an argument starts, common sense is one of the first things leaves the room. Tips provided at the end of each of the 'Love language' chapter, IMHO, help people to get back, if not, retain their composure during a squabble. I also agree that simple does not always equate to easy. ( )
  nmarun | Aug 17, 2014 |
Excelente libro, quedé fascinada por las ideas encontradas en este libro. Se lo recomiendo a todos mis amigos a que lo lean, sobre todo a las que son parejas. Es una guía que nos ayuda a entender mejor a las personas que más amamos como nuestra pareja, padres, madres, hermanos y amigos. ( )
  Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
The 5 languages of love by which we communicate our love for each other, but some of us speak one language and some another. We need to find the language our loved speaks in and learn that way of communication as a second language. ( )
  oldman | Apr 21, 2014 |
This is the book that everyone should read, thoughtfully, and apply. It is not only applicable to married couples, but applies to all relationships, helping with understanding why someone may have the expectations or desires in a relationship that they do.
  Keith.Benjamin | Apr 16, 2014 |
Wir flogen 10.000 Meter hoch zwischen Buffalo und Dallas, als der Mann neben mir seine Zeitschrift vor sich in die Sitztasche schob, sich mir zuwandte und mich fragte: "Was machen Sie denn beruflich?"

Marriage should be based on love, right? But does it seem as though you and your spouse are speaking two different languages? New York Times bestselling author Dr. Gary Chapman guides couples in identifying, understanding, and speaking their spouse’s primary love language—quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, or physical touch.

By learning the five love languages, you and your spouse will discover your unique love languages and learn practical steps in truly loving each other. Chapters are categorized by love language for easy reference, and each one ends with specific, simple steps to express a specific language to your spouse and guide your marriage in the right direction. A newly designed love languages assessment will help you understand and strengthen your relationship. You can build a lasting, loving marriage together.

Gary Chapman hosts a nationally syndicated daily radio program called A Love Language Minute that can be heard on more than 150 radio stations as well as the weekly syndicated program Building Relationships with Gary Chapman, which can both be heard on fivelovelanguages.com.

The Five Love Languages is a consistent new York Times bestseller - with over 5 million copies sold and translated into 38 languages.  This book is a sales phenomenon, with each year outselling the prior for 16 years running!

Includes a promotional code to gain exclusive online access to the new comprehensive love languages assessment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:53 -0400)

Dr. Chapman explains how people communicate love in different ways, and shares the wonderful things that happen when men and women learn to speak each other's language.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,439,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible