Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph…

The Hero with a Thousand Faces (original 1949; edition 1999)

by Joseph Campbell

Member:Friedrich.Stromeyer
Title:The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Authors:Joseph Campbell
Info:Fine Communications,US (1999), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:iown, mythology

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (1949)

The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories by Christopher Booker (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Interesting to contrast Campbell's 'hero monomyth' hypothesis with Booker's Freudian interpretation of how all literature, plays and films can be judged by how they match with his identification of universal plotlines.
    Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell (Michael.Rimmer)
    Giles Goat-Boy by John Barth (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Before Lucas, Barth was one of the first writers to intentionally take the formula for what it was: A psychological pattern we're doomed to follow and that just...well, makes sense. Why? Who cares! More overly-intellectual dick-and-fart jokes, please!

English (48)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
This book primarily focuses on the Hero Stories and myths that pervade all cultures. It is really well written and interesting. It points out a lot of similarities between myths and is quite well indexed. There's not really much more to say in this case, if you are interested in mythology, this is a pretty fascinating book. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Dated, but remains a must-read in terms of understanding what we really all have in common as Human Beings.

This was a ground breaking and interesting book, though he bases much on Freud's later work after rejecting the initial work he'd done with women, so I discounted the Oedipal/H. complex information, but his findings on how every religion, bar none, go back to the same monomyth are astounding and mesh quite well with what we now know about the shared origins of humanity.

Also, I must read 1001 Arabian Nights! ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Joseph Campbell brought the scholarship of the disciplines of comparative religion and psychology to a wide popular audience. This is most important book.
  PendleHillLibrary | Apr 16, 2019 |

Also, I must read 1001 Arabian Nights! ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
"Joseph Campbell was an inspiring teacher, popular lecturer, and author, editor and translator of many books on mythology . . .Often cited as Joseph Campbell's best book, this classic study traces the story of the hero's journey and transformation through virtually all the mythologies of the world, revealing the one archetypal hero in them all. . ." Source: The book's back cover.
  uufnn | Mar 1, 2019 |

Joseph Campbellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Braam, Aris J. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cvetković Sever, VladimirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estés, Clarissa PinkolaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koehne, KarlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father and mother
PREFACE
"The truths contained in religious doctrines are after all so distorted and systematically disguised," writes Sigmund Freud, "that the mass of humanity cannot recognize them as truth. The case is similar to what happens when we tell a child that new-born babies are brought by the stork. Here, too, we are telling the truth in symbolic clothing, for we know what the large bird signifies. But the child does not know it. ... It is the purpose of the present book to uncover some of the truths disguised for us under the figures of religion and mythology by bringing together a multitude of not-too-difficult examples and letting the ancient meaning become apparent of itself. ... Joseph Campbell, 1948
Whether we listen with aloof amusement to the dreamlike mumbo jumbo of some red-eyed witch doctor of the Congo, or read with cultivated rapture thin translations from the sonnets of the mystic Lao-tse; now and again crack the hard nutshell of an argument of Aquinas, or catch suddenly the shining meaning of a bizarre Eskimo fairy tale: it will be always the one, shape-shifting yet marvelously constant story that we find, together with a challengingly persistent suggestion of more remaining to be experienced than will ever be known or told.
There's just one Story.
Cultures add their grace notes, but
There's just one Story.

(Carnophile)
There's just one Story:
Universal monomyth:
The human Story.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0691017840, Paperback)

Originally written by Campbell in the '40s-- in his pre-Bill Moyers days -- and famous as George Lucas' inspiration for "Star Wars," this book will likewise inspire any writer or reader in its well considered assertion that while all stories have already been told, this is *not* a bad thing, since the *retelling* is still necessary. And while our own life's journey must always be ended alone, the travel is undertaken in the company not only of immediate loved ones and primal passion, but of the heroes and heroines -- and myth-cycles -- that have preceded us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

In this book, Joseph Campbell presents the composite hero. Apollo, the Frog King of the fairy tale, Wotan, the Buddha, and numerous other protagonists of folklore and religion, enact simultaneously the various phases of their common story. The psychological view is then compared with the words of such spiritual leaders as Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Lao-tse, and the 'Old Men' of Australian tribes. From behind a thousand faces the single hero emerges, archetype of all myth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible