A Gentleman's Honor by Stephanie…

A Gentleman's Honor (edition 2003)

by Stephanie Laurens

Member:cameling
Title:A Gentleman's Honor
Authors:Stephanie Laurens
Info:Avon (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Victorian England, romance, intrigue

A Gentleman's Honor by Stephanie Laurens

Recently added bylibra79, private library, BungalowBarbara, msantana1, Barbsn, robertawilder, stephng95, testVSFS

Anthony Blake, Viscount Torrington / Alicia ( )
  Talthor | Jan 1, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Finally! A Stephanie Laurens book where the man isn't a complete and utter idiot when it comes to love!

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy Laurens' books. But every single one of the men in the Cynster novels has more trouble admitting that they actually love someone than they would walking in front of an enemy's bayonet unarmed, and it drives me absolutely nuts. And they all decide to keep their ladies in the dark "for their own good." *snorts*

However, Anthony Torrington finally breaks Laurens' mold. Not only does he tell his lady love early in the novel that he loves and adores her (at least, it's early compared to her other heroes, some of whom don't ever say those words), but he also gives her all of the information that he has come across and has her involved in what's going on. This is probably what helped save her neck in the end.

What a breath of fresh air! How many problems in her other books would have been avoided if the men had actually trusted in the intelligence of the women they loved?

As to the plot itself, I find the traitor plot fairly overdone. Maybe once I read the entire Bastion Club series, I'll be ok with it. But right now, after having read two of the Bastion Club novels, I find it boring. I fairly skim over those parts; they just don't interest. That, however, is a personal preference. For all I know, she does that sort of plot very well; it's just not something I'm very interested.

The sex scenes were fairly standard Laurens scenes--full of "incandescently happy" and "soaring above on a plane he had never been to with any other woman--just with her." I personally think it's a fairly idealized view of sex, particularly sex with a virgin, but it makes for good reading. As usual, there was a heavy emphasis on family; I actually like that aspect of her novels. And though Laurens has done the spinster posing as a widow before, it wasn't quite like this, with the deception performed in front of the entire ton. That aspect of things was quite interesting, though I was somewhat disappointed that it was never revealed before the ton.

All in all, I enjoyed this novel. I greatly enjoyed the hero, more so than almost any other male Laurens has written about; I also enjoyed the heroine. Their relationship was one of the more interesting ones in Laurens' books as well, in my opinion. I definitely recommend it, if you like Regency romances. ( )
  crashingwaves38 | Apr 15, 2008 |
Ah...Tony. Here we meet Tony, who we first saw in Captain Jack's Woman. A very good book, especially for those who read Captain Jack's Woman and wondered what happened to Tony. ( )
  van_stef | Nov 7, 2007 |

Laurens, Stephanieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Conflagration' use per Amazon.com - 2 times.

The Season has yet to begin, and the second member of the Bastion Club, tall, handsome Anthony Blake, Viscount Torrington, is already a target for every matchmaking mama in London. None of their flighty daughters can fix his interest, but a certain lady does...  Alicia is living a deception. Desperation has caused the determined but penniless lady to boldly launch her ravishing younger sister into the ton and have her make a spectacular match. By masquerading as the widowed "Mrs. Carrington" Alicia can act as the perfect chaperone…but fashionable ladies are not accused of murder...  When Tony Blake discovers Alicia standing over a dead body in his godmother's garden, every instinct tells him she is innocent. His connections allow him to take control of the investigation, his social prominence provides her public support, but it is more than honor that compels him to protect her and to do everything in his seductive power to make her his.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060002077, Mass Market Paperback)

When Tony Blake discovers Alicia standing over a dead body in his godmother’s garden, every instinct tells him she is innocent. His connections allow him to take control of the investigation, his social prominence provides her public support, but it is more than honor that compels him to protect her and to do everything in his seductive power to make her his.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:21 -0400)

Penniless Alicia masquerades as the widowed "Mrs. Carrington" to launch her beautiful younger sister into the ton and have her make a profitable marriage, but her plans go badly awry when she finds herself the prime suspect in a murder investigation led by handsome Tony Blake.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible