Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Lock and Key (edition 2012)

by Sarah Dessen

2,507None2,412 (3.96)77
Member:nidaahmed
Title:Lock and Key
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:individuality, family, love, happiness, friendship, hope, choices

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

2008 (15) 2009 (9) abandoned children (17) abandonment (47) abuse (61) alcoholism (20) chick lit (24) child abuse (28) coming of age (18) contemporary (13) family (97) fiction (93) friends (10) friendship (38) high school (28) love (24) own (13) read (18) realistic fiction (36) relationships (22) romance (55) Sarah Dessen (16) sisters (45) teen (41) teen fiction (14) to-read (46) trust (12) YA (90) young adult (111) young adult fiction (25)

This book was so easy to get into, I found myself really wanting to know what happened next, and getting attached to the characters.
I especially liked how throughout you see Ruby growing, and learning to define 'family' in a different way.
Overall I really enjoyed the book. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
What happens to a 17-year-old (who mostly takes care of herself anyways) when her mother just doesn't come home? That's the tale that Sarah Dessen tells in Lock & Key, and she does so with grace, humor & power. I always enjoy her books, and this one did not disappoint. ( )
  NTE | Sep 20, 2013 |
My first Sarah Dessen book. I liked it, but didn't love it. I listened to 7 1/2 discs on audio before switching to print to finish it more quickly. The characters were realistic, and the premise was interesting: Ruby Cooper is months away from her eighteenth birthday and freedom when her mom abandons her. Social workers track down Ruby's older sister Cora, and Cora and her husband Jamie take Ruby in. The change is a shock: Ruby doesn't just go from poverty and public school to wealth and a private school, but also has to face the fact that her mother lied to her about Cora.

Over the course of the book, Ruby learns to let others care about her and help her, and she begins to care about them as well. Throughout, she grapples with an assignment for her English class: What does 'family' mean to you? Everyone has different definitions, Ruby learns, and hers comes to include not just biological family, but friends as well. The lessons Ruby learns are just this side of heavy-handed (as is the lock-and-key metaphor); overall, it was a good book, and I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't evangelize for it. ( )
  JennyArch | Sep 18, 2013 |
This was my fourth Sarah Dessen book and once again, I gobbled it up in a matter of days. The protagonist in this one, Ruby, is a slightly wild child - not so much by desire, but due to her rather unorthodox upbringing. Always moving, with a somewhat unreliablie mother, Ruby is looking forward to the day when she turns 18 and can become and independent adult. Alas, before that day comes, her mother abandons her first and Ruby is passed into the care of her older sister. Recently married, with a beautiful house in the rich end of town, Ruby could not feel any more out of place if she tried. Adapting to her new way of life - attending a private school, fitting into a family - it will all provide a challenge for Ruby, and one that she is not sure she is quite up to.

An engrossing read for more mature teens, there is some coarse language, drug use and implied sex. There are also quite a few cute cameo appearances of characters or businesses mentioned in previous books, which are like little "Easter eggs" for those of us that are devouring her books. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
Sarah Dessen is one of those fairly popular young adult authors that I've wanted to read for a while. I have several of her books on my shelves, but this is the first one I've actually picked up & read thus far.

This is a story about Ruby, a 17-year-old who is placed into the custody of her older sister, after her mother just deserts her one day. She's not seen or communicated with her sister for 10 years. Ruby is already headed down the road to self-destruction, after living with a mother who hasn't been setting a good example, so when she's forced to live with her somewhat "goody two shoes" sister, there's some tension. She goes from a world of near-poverty to the opposite extreme -- her sister & brother-in-law are very well-off. Ruby has some trouble adjusting to this world and the gist of the story centers on that. That's a very simplistic plot summary & not a very good one, but you get the idea. It's actually a pretty well-written book & I enjoyed it on audio, with the reader doing an excellent job of portraying a teen's voice. I'm not sure it was enough to make me run out & want to read all of Dessen's books, but I'm certainly open to exploring a few more. ( )
  indygo88 | Aug 30, 2013 |
For Leigh Feldman, for seeing me through this time, every time. And to Jay, always waiting on the other side.
"And finally," Jamie said as he pushed the door open, "we come to the main event. Your room."

Lock and Key is about girl named Ruby who has lived with her mom all her life. Then suddenly her mom leaves her and Ruby is forced to live with her sister Cora. Ruby is overwhelmed by all the fancy things that now surround her. Ruby, a complicated and independent girl, is reluctant to learn about the new world she lives in now. A close friend of hers is facing a similar situation like Ruby’s; will Ruby be able to give her friend the help that she never got?

Ruby is used to taking care of herself. But now she?s living in a fancy new house with her sister Cora?a sister she hasn?t seen in ten years?and her husband Jamie?creator of one of the most popular online networking sites. She?s attending private school, wearing new clothes, and for the first time, feels the promise of a future that include college and her family. So why is she so wary? And what is Nate? the adorable and good-hearted boy next door? hiding behind his genial nature? As Ruby starts to see, there?s a big difference between being given help, and being able to accept it. And sometimes, in order to save yourself, you?ve got to reach out to someone else.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:51 -0400)

When she is abandoned by her alcoholic mother, high school senior Ruby winds up living with Cora, the sister she has not seen for ten years, and learns about Cora's new life, what makes a family, how to allow people to help her when she needs it, and that she too has something to offer others.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible