Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Lock and Key (edition 2012)

by Sarah Dessen

Member:nidaahmed
Title:Lock and Key
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:individuality, family, love, happiness, friendship, hope, choices

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

The book I have just finished was titled Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen. In this fiction novel of Ruby’s life we see her change and evolve as a person in life. When she was only five years old her father left her mother. Ten years later her mom is still suffering with alcoholism, a lack of self esteem, and many other issues. She trys fixing it but this only leads to abuse, and many job losses until she finally abandoned Ruby one day. Ruby is then forced to live with her sister Cora and her husband Jamie. While living with them she understands the importance of family and love. By the end of the story she has developed into a fine young lady herself. None of that would have been possible without the help of her loving sister and husband.
With many added elements of love, hatred, and everything in between I would highly recommend this book. Sarah Dessen adds many key features to this book. Every chapter kept me interested in what was happening. She writes in a way that makes the book easy to understand, which I enjoy. Sarah keeps you always wondering what's next. I would rate this book a total of a 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason I would not give it that extra half of a star is because I would not consider it the perfect book. Although Sarah Dessen is an outstanding author, and this book was close to perfection, I didn’t feel it was quite there.
  AnBr14 | Apr 12, 2015 |
The best Sarah Dessen book for me. ( )
  Kristinukas | Mar 10, 2015 |
must read young adults and teens!!!
  hannah7248 | Jan 21, 2015 |
This was the first book I ever read by Sarah Dessen and honestly it's still one of my favorites by her. It's easy to relate with the main character and to fall in love with the story and how she finds herself. ( )
  Ariana723 | Aug 24, 2014 |
Ahhh--a high school angst book without the bullies and nasty "let's stuff them in a locker" routine or "who is sleeping with who". Considering it is a preppy high school I find that hard to believe, but it was a breath of fresh air.
And the gal needs a break from the freako Mom who abandoned her so that she was living on her own for 2 months before anyone noticed. She moves in with an older sister who had distanced herself from the family and had made a sucess of her life with a bazillionaire husband who invented a facebook type ap. Once you get past all the snarkiness of her (and she does realize her life isn't as good as she had thought on her own) it is a pretty good read about changing your life without someone changing it for you. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Aug 20, 2014 |
For Leigh Feldman, for seeing me through this time, every time. And to Jay, always waiting on the other side.
"And finally," Jamie said as he pushed the door open, "we come to the main event. Your room."

Lock and Key is about girl named Ruby who has lived with her mom all her life. Then suddenly her mom leaves her and Ruby is forced to live with her sister Cora. Ruby is overwhelmed by all the fancy things that now surround her. Ruby, a complicated and independent girl, is reluctant to learn about the new world she lives in now. A close friend of hers is facing a similar situation like Ruby’s; will Ruby be able to give her friend the help that she never got?

Ruby is used to taking care of herself. But now she?s living in a fancy new house with her sister Cora?a sister she hasn?t seen in ten years?and her husband Jamie?creator of one of the most popular online networking sites. She?s attending private school, wearing new clothes, and for the first time, feels the promise of a future that include college and her family. So why is she so wary? And what is Nate? the adorable and good-hearted boy next door? hiding behind his genial nature? As Ruby starts to see, there?s a big difference between being given help, and being able to accept it. And sometimes, in order to save yourself, you?ve got to reach out to someone else.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

When she is abandoned by her alcoholic mother, high school senior Ruby winds up living with Cora, the sister she has not seen for ten years, and learns about Cora's new life, what makes a family, how to allow people to help her when she needs it, and that she too has something to offer others.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,520,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible