Big Guns Out of Uniform by Nicole Camden

Big Guns Out of Uniform (edition 2005)

by Nicole Camden (Contributor), Liz Carlyle, Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:onyx95
Title:Big Guns Out of Uniform
Authors:Nicole Camden
Other authors:Liz Carlyle, Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:Pocket Star (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Big Guns Out of Uniform (BAD to the Bone/ Let's Talk About Sex/ The Nekkid Truth) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Contributor)

The mini stories were all well played considering everything had to happen to develop quickly.

Kenyon's story was by far my favorite out of the 3, but the other two were close behind. The first two were like any other romance novel, with a little more raunchy and frequency. The last one was by far the one that I would consider erotic. The dirty language, and the inhibition of the characters definitely held up the rest of the book with the erotica that curls your toes. ( )
  dhampir05 | Sep 24, 2009 |
BAD to the Bone-
"4 stars" I found this story to be a fun enjoyable fantasy. I thought the idea of a woman being given the opportunity to live out her favorite romance novel was a creative one. I absolutely loved both the hero and heroine, and felt these characters would have been worthy of a longer story. Marianne was a plain Jane who was as sweet as could be. She didn't know why a hunk like Kyle would want to be with her, but it didn't stop her from enjoying the experience. Kyle was a tortured
hero, but that didn't stop him from accepting her tenderness. They spent their time together baring their souls to one another (among other things;)) which I thought was very romantic. The love scenes were very sensuous, but also sweet. I found all these elements to be very refreshing. I thought that the story could have benefited from a little more clarity and tighter plotting especially at the beginning and end, as I was left with some unanswered questions. Overall though, I thought it was the most romantic of the three novellas. This was my first read by Sherrilyn Kenyon, but definitely won't be my last.

Let's Talk About Sex-
"4.5 stars" I found this story to be a really enjoyable read. Although it had a slightly more serious tone than the first, it still had lots of playfulness and steamy sensuality. It also had two very likable lead characters who seemed more like normal people with normal problems, something that was also rather refreshing to me in a different sort of way. Liz Carlyle has been one of my favorite authors of historicals for a while, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that she writes
contemporary equally well. In my opinion, it was the overall best and most well written novella in the threesome.

The Nekkid Truth-
"3 stars" This story was my least favorite in the book. Even though it had a cop hero, the writing style was just so different from the other two, it seemed out of place. It was written in first person perspective which I don't categorically oppose, but in this case, it didn't really do anything for me. It was also pretty dry, matter-of-fact, and lacking in emotions, so that I had difficulty understanding the characters motivations, and the love scenes just didn't have that spark of passion and sensuality that the other two stories did. They basically felt like JUST sex. I also had a hard time believing the hero and heroine genuinely loved each other and would have a lasting happily-ever-after ending. The author did a pretty good job with the mystery element though. Even though it wasn't incredibly compelling, it held my interest. I also thought that her plotting was pretty tight and the pacing was very good. Overall, the story had an interesting premise, but just didn't quite live up to it's potential in my opinion.

Note: This was my first read of an erotic romance, but I thought that the sex scenes in the first two stories were similar to traditional romances with just a little more steam, detail and frequency and just a couple of "f" words regarding sex in the second story. However, I thought the third story exhibited more coarseness in both tone and language, which some readers might find offensive. ( )
  mom2lnb | Apr 17, 2008 |

Kenyon, SherrilynContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Camden, NicoleContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlyle, LizContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marianne Webernec was completely average at age thirty, but what she desperately wanted was to be extraordinary

In Sherrilyn Kenyon's "BAD to the Bone," teacher Marianne Webernec wins the "Hideaway Heroine Sweepstakes" and a chance to pretend to be the heroine in her favorite romance novel. Whisked away to a remote tropical island, Marianne's fantasies become real when BAD (Bureau of American Defense) agent Kyle Foster kidnaps her. Together they uncover Marianne's every desire, and Kyle's secret fantasy, too.

In Liz Carlyle's "Let's Talk About Sex," Dr. Delia Sydney dishes out perfectly sound sex advice on the radio. So how is it that this slightly repressed divorcee is so easily seduced by her bad-boy neighbor? And just what is it about Nick Woodruff, a smooth-talking sergeant on a forced "vacation," that makes Delia feel she'll do anything -- anything -- when she's with him?

Things get even hotter in Nicole Camden's "The Nekkid Truth" when crime scene photographer Debbie Valley works more closely than ever with the detective who has fascinated her for years. After a harrowing accident Debbie finds her life forever changed when she loses the ability to recognize faces. She is forced to identify people by their bodies and soon finds that the wonders of Detective Marshall Scott's body never cease...and that he needs her unique gift to help catch a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:37 -0400)

They are the intriguing strangers we pass on the street -- men who do whatever it takes to keep us safe from the evils of the world. Mysterious and untamable, they hold honor, strength, and courage close to their well-guarded hearts. But no matter how much their jobs require them to lay aside their personal lives, they can't deny that when their facades and clothes are stripped off, they have burning needs like any other man...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,525,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible