The March Hare Murders by Elizabeth Ferrars

The March Hare Murders (1949)

by Elizabeth Ferrars

Originally published in 1949, the March Hare Murders by Elizabeth Ferrars will not go on my list of favorite detective novels as the police in this case do not communicate with the reader until the end of the book when the full solution is laid out. When Professor Verinder is shot dead and his luncheon companion wounded, there are not too many in the small English village who are surprised or concerned. He was not a likeable man, a womanizer, who used and then abandoned his conquests, a man who delighted in pointing out the shortcomings of others, a man who left plenty of suspects behind him.

The main suspect is David Obeney, a young man who holds Verinder responsible for the death of a loved one. He is visiting his sister as he recovers from a nervous breakdown. Much of the evidence is pointing to David, including the fact that it was his revolver used in the murder, but David declares himself innocent. When a second murder occurs, the same suspects are gathered together again and the facts of the case are revealed.

The March Hare Murders is the first book by this author that I have read and I doubt that I will go looking for more by her. I felt more like I was reading a newspaper account and, not being privy to the police procedure, I never felt involved in the outcome. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 4, 2017 |

"A murder shocks the sleepy English village of Wellford. Professor Verinder is dead, and the only witness is left injured without catching sight of the killer. The obvious suspect is David Obeney, an unstable man who has only recently arrived in the village to stay with his sister. Known to be openly hostile toward the Professor, David is the owner of the murder weapon and had allegedly been seen on the road to the crime scene that day. But was David's hatred motive enough to murder, or is he being set up to take the blame." -- Title display.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible