Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase

Captives of the Night (original 1994; edition 2012)

by Loretta Chase

Member:malinengdahl
Title:Captives of the Night
Authors:Loretta Chase
Info:Nancy Yost Literary Agency (2012), Epub, 342 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebooks, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical fiction, Regency, Scoundrels, favourites

Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase (1994)

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read this book, I've often heard hints of the prior Scoundrels books without any clear sense of whether or not I'd read them. I can say that CAPTIVES OF THE NIGHT was new to me, and while it did have some old school pacing and melodrama issues, I enjoyed it. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I started reading this expecting just another historical romance novel, but I was surprised to discover that romance tale was secondary to a very intriguing murder plot. This book keeps you guessing right until the end. ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
There were things I liked about this book, but overall I thought the plot was convoluted and unneccessarily complicated. It took a long while for me to really like the characters, Ismal and Leila. The writing was good and some of the dialogue was very good, but I just didn't love the book. ( )
  doxiemomx2 | Jun 5, 2011 |
A real pleasure! I loved all the twisty turns and decadent romance in this murder mystery.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2009/08/captives-of-night-by-loretta-chase.html ( )
  ktleyed | Aug 31, 2009 |
I would have liked Captives of the Night more if it weren't for the murder mystery that directs most of the plot. It's pretty evenly balanced with the romance, so that the romance isn't overwhelmed or anything. Rather I found the murder mystery more of a distraction because I wasn't in the mood for a murder mystery. The hero, while something of a caricature at times, and seemingly less than or "almost human," as he's described, was original and interesting, and the heroine, despite her hang-ups about the sinfulness of sex and her own desires (which are actually dealt with very sympathetically,) was strong and intelligent. I liked how she demanded to become involved in the murder mystery, which the hero was investigating. She became his equal and his partner. Still, I never really connected with the characters and kept expecting more from the story than what I found. What really stands out about this book is the cover. What a creepy creepy man. His come hither look is more like a pervy ax murderer glare.

P.S. I read this series out of order - Captives of the Night first, then The Lion's Daughter second. Only after reading The Lion's Daughter do I understand some of Ismal's history, which was only refered to obliquely in Captives of the Night. Getting his backstory helps with fleshing out his character a bit more, so I would suggest reading The Lion's Daughter first. ( )
  theshadowknows | Mar 14, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425209652, Mass Market Paperback)

Chase is on! Her out-of-print classic is now back in top form. The Comte d'Esmond is supposed to be investigating Leila Beaumont's corrupt and treacherous husband. But all he wants to do is surrender to her dangerously captivating eyes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:19 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible