The Ghost by Robert Harris

The Ghost (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Robert Harris

1,751724,027 (3.53)1 / 68
Member:adpaton
Title:The Ghost
Authors:Robert Harris
Info:Hutchinson (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction, Authors, Politicians, Prime Minister, Tony Blair, Martha's Vineyard, 21st Century, Crime, Murder, Ghost Writers, Thriller, CIA, Britain

The Ghost by Robert Harris (2007)

English (65)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
This is the first Robert Harris book that I have read. I found it very entertaining and intriguing. I will, of course, be reading more of Harris' books as I really like his writing style. This book was a real page-turner and I loved the ending! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
I don't read many thrillers, and frankly I didn't know there was such a thing as a "British thriller," but you can blame Nick Hornby for this. It was gripping, and well-plotted - as these things go, anyway - and kept me interested throughout. It comes off a tiny bit whiny, at least to this American, but then we again we made The Patriot so we probably had it coming. ( )
  thoughtbox | May 27, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book with its not very subtle satire of Blair. The plot is slightly far fetched but as usual Robert Harris keeps you reading along ( )
  jbennett | May 18, 2016 |
Here's why I loved this. Great plotting. Really nice clever twist at the end that left me going "Oh yeah, I get it." And erudite writing with lots of clever and funny allusions, including the way Harris gives names to characters that hint at real people.

I realised I had seen the movie based on this book after a few pages, but fortunately, if the movie followed the plot line exactly, I had forgotten and the neat ending was a pleasing surprise when it came. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Nov 8, 2015 |
I'm not really a thriller reader, especially political thrillers but this was bought for me. I didn't really warm to the main character but he was certainly 3D and believable as were the subsidiary characters. The plot was pretty good and the locations very well drawn and atmoshpheric which helped it pass my test of giving me something to add to my own writing.

Enjoyable but not enough to tempt me in to the genre... tempted to look at some other titles from Harris though - I like his efficient yet effective style. ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
Ik ben niet ik: jij bent niet hij of zij: zij zijn niet zij.

Evelyn Waugh
Brideshead revisited
Voor Gill
The moment I heard how McAra died, I should have walked away.

Adam Lang has been Britain’s longest serving—and most controversial—prime minister of the last half century. And now that he’s left office, he’s accepted one of history’s largest cash advances to compose a tell-all (or at least, tell-some) memoir of his life and years of power.

As pressure mounts for Lang to complete this magnum opus, he hires a professional ghostwriter to finish the book. As he sets to work, the ghostwriter discovers many more secrets than Lang intends to reveal, secrets with the power to alter world politics - secrets with the power to kill.

Tense, gripping, and savvy, The Ghost Writer puts forth all the author’s long-term know-how about high stakes politics, journalism, and governmental deception. Set in America, on Martha’s Vineyard,

Britain's former prime minister is holed up in a remote, ocean-front house in America, struggling to finish his memoirs, when his long-term assistant drowns. A professional ghostwriter is sent out to rescue the project - a man more used to working with fading rock stars and minor celebrities than ex-world leaders. The ghost soon discovers that his distinguished new client has secrets in his past that are returning to haunt him - secrets with the power to kill. Robert Harris is once again at his gripping best with the most controversial new thriller of the decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

"Dashing, captivating Adam Lang was Britain's longest serving - and most controversial - prime minister of the last half century, whose career ended in tatters after he sided with America in an unpopular war on terror. Now, after stepping down in disgrace, Lang is hiding out in wintry Martha's Vineyard to finish his much sought-after, potentially explosive memoir, for which he accepted one of history's largest cash advances. But the project runs aground when his ghostwriter suddenly and mysteriously disappears and later washes up, dead, on the island's deserted shore.""Enter our hero - Lang's new ghostwriter - cynical, mercenary, and quick with a line of deadpan humor. Accustomed to working with fading rock stars and minor celebrities, he jumps at the chance to be the new ghost of Adam Lang's memoirs, especially as it means a big payday. At once he flies to Lang's remote location in America to finish the book in the seclusion of a luxurious estate, but it doesn't take him long to realize he has made a fatal error in judgment. The state of affairs is grim enough when the ghost begins to unearth the bone-chilling circumstances of his predecessor's death. And before long, he discovers that the ex-prime minister is not just a charismatic politician who made a few mistakes. He's a dark, tortured man with haunting secrets in his past - secrets with the power to alter world politics. Secrets with the power to kill."--BOOK JACKET.General Adult. Having served as Great Britains longest-enduring prime minister, Adam Lang accepts a large cash advance to write a tell-all memoir of his life and controversial political career, an effort for which he hires a ghostwriter who uncovers dangerous secrets about the former leaders term. 250,000 first printing.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible