Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Love You Forever (1986)

by Robert Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

I cannot tell you how much this book means to me. Growing up this is the only book that I remember my mother reading to me and to this day I still remember her reading it to me like it was yesterday. A mother's love for her child is endless and unconditional and this book tells a beautiful story between a mother and her son. As time goes on we see the boy grow up but the love and bond remains the same. This book will forever have a place in my heart. ( )
  Jmreed1 | Apr 21, 2016 |
Illustrations by Sheila McGraw

A mother’s love knows no bounds. As she rocks her infant son, cradled in her arms, she sings of her eternal love
I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
As long as I’m living
My baby you’ll be.

As the child grows to toddlerhood, childhood, adolescence and adulthood, the mother continues to express this enduring love. It’s a lovely sentiment and certainly one that every child deserves to feel – safe and secure, knowing his mother will love him no matter what, and throughout his lifetime.

But …

Munsch takes this a step too far by having the Mom in this case, crawl into her son’s bedroom and cradle him as he sleeps … throughout his life! I know that children’s picture books frequently rely on repetition and that themes and situations are frequently repeated. Children love this style, and for the most part, so do I. But there is something “off” about this scenario.

Sheila McGraw’s illustrations are delightful – or most of them are. I liked her drawings of the boy as he grew, and especially liked how she continued to show the cat and the boy’s Teddy bear. But as she tried her best to illustrate the relationship between the adult son and his older mother … well, she had that weird story line to contend with. A drawing of the mother driving through the night, a ladder strapped to the roof of her car so she could climb in the adult son’s window is just too much.

I think other authors have dealt with this theme more successfully. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Apr 17, 2016 |
Love you forever is a nursery rhyming book. This book is about a mother who loves her daughter very much. It's a very catching saying that has been around for a very long time. This book could be shared to anyone in the early childhood. ( )
  KelseyJohnson | Apr 13, 2016 |
Love you forever is a picture book which tells the story of a little boy who gets in a lot of mischief. The book is written from a mothers perspective. The purpose of the book is to instill in young children that no matter what they do they will always be loved. ( )
  emilyjeffries16 | Apr 11, 2016 |
This book is about the special and loving relationship shared between a mother and her son. The book goes through the son's different ages in life and how the mom is always taking care of him. It shows all of his cute stages when he's a little boy, to the teenager stages when her wrecks the house and leaves trash everywhere. However, when the mom gets old the roles are reversed and the son has to take care of her. He drives over to her house and sneaks into her bedroom window and rocks her back and forth saying how much he loves her, just like she used to do to him. This book is great to read to children for when they are missing their mom and to show them how we should appreciate everything our moms do. ( )
  sarahbranch | Apr 10, 2016 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible