Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love You Forever (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

Member:CPCC-EDU
Title:Love You Forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Other authors:Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)
Info:Firefly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Munsch(auth), McGraw(Ilus), picture_book, bedtime stories, love, family dynamics, parents

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

Love You Forever was one of the greatest book I had read to me as a child. It is a wonderful story about a mother and her baby boy growing together. Every night the mother rocks her baby back and forth to get him to go to sleep, all the while singing him a simple rhyme. As the boy grows, the roles are reversed and he ends up taking care of his mother. The beautiful illustrations help to bring the story of the mother and her son to life. You find yourself falling in love with their relationship as you read. This is what my mother used to read to me as a child and I will end up reading it to my children someday. It is a simple and endearing book that shows the importance of family. ( )
  kabdo1 | Apr 19, 2015 |
A young mom is rocking her new son and sings him a song of her love. The story follows the boy as he grows up into an adult. While he grows she continues to sing and rock him. The son takes on the same role as the mother when she gets to old. Then repeats this with his own daughter. Love You Forever is a realistic fiction story.

The link to my video:

What is the name of the book, author and/ or illustrator, publication year and photo of the cover?

I noticed that in the author in relation to the style of his writing was the use of repetition to reinforce the major idea within the mothers song because no he set it up so it would show his growth and then the mother sneaking in his room to sign and rock him while he slept.

Another thing I noticed about the writing of the author was he used humor to ease the serious nature of the book. For example, when the boy was nine she was ready to sell him to a zoo.

Finally, I summarized that the author used specific word choice in the mothers song and the use of imagery to create the scene in the readers mind and this is based the fact that the author used the rocking while sleeping as he aged to show that no matter how old he grew she was going to pick him up and sing the song if she was living. This loving action was then passed on for him to start singing as long as he was living.

From my reading of other book by my author does he use similar elements of style?
The author used pieces of a similar style but this book is very different from most of the other books he has written. Most of Munsch books are based with using humor while Love Your Forever uses little pieces of humor to lighten the serious tone.
  kbuffum13 | Mar 31, 2015 |
This book is about a mothers love. It shows a mom watching her son grow from the time he was a baby, throughout childhood, and well into adulthood. She sings the song, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be." to her son every night as he grows up. At the end of the story it shows the son holding his aged mother the same way she held him and he sang the same song.

This is a very cute book with the catchy song lyrics. I love the repletion of the song, kids catch on to it quickly.

Classroom extension:
1. have the students write about a time their parent or loved one sang to them
2. have the student write a lullaby
  TameitriaJ | Mar 25, 2015 |
I throughly enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. First, I really connected with the story. For example, in the story, the mom sings the song, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be." to her son every night as he grows up. My mom used to sing a song to me when I was younger and I really connected to this aspect of the story. Second, the illustrations helped me feel for the mother in the story. They helped me follow along with the story and the boy who grew up. For example, whenever the mother sang the song, the author drew the mother holding her child. This helped me connect to the song. The overall message of the book is family is forever and traditions are important to keep within the family. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Mar 24, 2015 |
This story is about a mom who loves her son and rocks him every night when he is asleep, as he grows up. The part that will get to a person is at the end, when the mom is old and her son rocks and sings to her. I added the tag of human body because I feel that age and growth are definitely represented in this story and could be discussed.
Ages 3-6
Source My Library
  Batsneedfriendstoo | Mar 14, 2015 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,704,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible