Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love You Forever (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

Member:CPCC-EDU
Title:Love You Forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Other authors:Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)
Info:Firefly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Munsch(auth), McGraw(Ilus), picture_book, bedtime, love, family, parents

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

Recently added byCynical_Ames, stacywillson09, Jclark5, eatplants, private library, ME862

Summary: A mother of a little boy expresses undying love for her child. As the son grows the love is sustained. When the son is now an adult it shows the rolls reversed. The mother took care of her child nurturing him and loving him and in the end the son does the same for his mom.

Personal Reaction: As a mother I would do anything for my son. I tell him everyday that I love him and that the love will never fail. Love you forever helps me explain my love to my son. Love You Forever is simple enough for children but also can bring a mother to tears.

Classroom Extension Projects:
1. I would let the children write in their journals reflecting how they love their mothers.
2. Set up a table that allows the children to decorate a frame that they could give to mothers on Mother's Day
3. Provide a table of different craft tools so that the children can draw/make a picture of themselves with their mothers.
  BethanyKisner | Sep 16, 2014 |
The book begins with the mother holding her infant while singing him a sweet song. Throughout the book you see this infant grow up to become a man. The mother continues to sing this same sweet song to her son as he continues to grow up.
This is a very cute and loving book for young children to read with their parents. This story will help parents show their children how much they are loved. The song that is sang by the mother throughout the story is very short and sweet, but has a powerful message coming from a parent. The author does a great job of showing the difficulties of parenthood and how no matter what the mother still loves her baby boy. For instance, even as a teenage boy and the mother was going crazy, she would still always sing him the song at night after he was asleep. The song used throughout the story is great for children to use to begin to read themselves through memory. This song will also help readers to better understand what the story was about because songs help students with their memorization of text.
The central message of this book is about the unconditional love a mother has for her child. No matter what the little boy did the mother always sang to him at night to show her love for him. This story also touches upon how a paren's love can cross generations with the incorporation of the boy's grandmother. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 16, 2014 |
This book was enjoyable to read. One reason is because of the writing. There were repetitive phrases such as "I'll love you forever" which makes the reader feel a sense of familiarity even when they are a first time reader. Along with this the characters were relatable. Such as the mother constantly wanting to cradle her son and the son thinking nothing of this until his mother is ill. It shows a parents strong bond with their child.
The big idea of the book was no matter how grown up a child may be their parents will always love them and see them as their baby. ( )
  StephanieWeiner | Sep 16, 2014 |
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and in my opinion, such a good children’s book. The emotion throughout the book was so deep and sentimental and brings tears to readers (or maybe just my) eyes. The child in the book starts as a newborn baby in his mothers lap, and grows and grows until the roles are switched around, and the mother is in her older sons lap. Although this may not have so much meaning to young children, as they grow up, they may realize how emotional and heartfelt the story really is. Next, I love that the text is repetitive. As the boy gets older and older, his mother would put him on her lap, rock in her rocking chair, and sing “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.” Then, the boy would grow. “He grew and hew grew and he grew,” and then it would repeat. The mother would rock him and sing. Another reason why I loved this book was because of its message/main idea. The message is so simple, yet so amazing and profound. It is about family, and adulthood, and all around love, and although children may not see it the first time they read it, the message means more with age, which is why I love it so much. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
There are 3 reasons why I really like this book. One of the reasons I like this book is because of the writing. It is predictable and easy for a child to read. It flows nicely and I really like how it is the same at the end of the page. Another reason why I like this book is because of the multiple points of view that are taken on. The three points of view in the book are the narrator, the mother, and then at the end, the son. I really like how the author does this because you feel connected to the characters that the author has created. Finally, I like this book for the illustrations. The most powerful set of illustrations in this book is the last three pages. I say this because the roles switch and the son is now holding is mother, and then daughter. You feel how connected they are and you feel the love coming out of this picture. The big idea of this book is the enduring nature of parents and children’s love and how it continues for generations. ( )
  kelleemorcomb | Sep 10, 2014 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible