Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love You Forever (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

Member:CPCC-EDU
Title:Love You Forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Other authors:Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)
Info:Firefly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Munsch(auth), McGraw(Ilus), picture_book, Bedtime Stories, love, family, parents

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

Unconditional love and care for a child teaches him how to love, how to love his parent in return, and how to love his own child.

Case in point:

(Click to enlarge)

My only criticism: When the mother visits her son's house in the middle of the night I expected an unknown, bleary-eyed woman screaming "Burglar!" lying next to him in bed. Possibly with smeared mascara and a strong whiff of tequila on her breath. Now that would've been realistic. And hilarious.

Thank you, Karen H., for recommending this heart-melting book to me. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
When I was a little girl, my mother used to read this book to me very often. In my opinion, this picture book is great for parents to read to their children.
One of the reasons I really enjoy this book is because of the overall message it gives to the reader. That message is that you're never too old to remind your children or your parents how much you truly love them. The author is able to convey how much the mother in this book loves her son.
Another reason this book is enjoyable is because when the mother gets very old, the son comes to her side and sings the same song that his mother used to sing to him all throughout his life. And then when he has a child of his own, he sings that song to his baby in order to express the love he has for him/her. ( )
  JamiNebenzahl | Sep 22, 2014 |
This book was about a little boy and his mother who share unconditional love for one another. I think younger kids can easily relate to this story because when they go they probably have moments like these with they're parents. This book was more of a repetitive rhyming book, it kept repeating the phrase "Love You Forever" which was significant to the books title. I think this book is for preschool or maybe kindergarten, it does not really convey much a theme other than love for a parent. However, for the younger children I think this book would really excite them.
  Jclark5 | Sep 21, 2014 |
Summary: A mother of a little boy expresses undying love for her child. As the son grows the love is sustained. When the son is now an adult it shows the rolls reversed. The mother took care of her child nurturing him and loving him and in the end the son does the same for his mom.

Personal Reaction: As a mother I would do anything for my son. I tell him everyday that I love him and that the love will never fail. Love you forever helps me explain my love to my son. Love You Forever is simple enough for children but also can bring a mother to tears.

Classroom Extension Projects:
1. I would let the children write in their journals reflecting how they love their mothers.
2. Set up a table that allows the children to decorate a frame that they could give to mothers on Mother's Day
3. Provide a table of different craft tools so that the children can draw/make a picture of themselves with their mothers.
  BethanyKisner | Sep 16, 2014 |
The book begins with the mother holding her infant while singing him a sweet song. Throughout the book you see this infant grow up to become a man. The mother continues to sing this same sweet song to her son as he continues to grow up.
This is a very cute and loving book for young children to read with their parents. This story will help parents show their children how much they are loved. The song that is sang by the mother throughout the story is very short and sweet, but has a powerful message coming from a parent. The author does a great job of showing the difficulties of parenthood and how no matter what the mother still loves her baby boy. For instance, even as a teenage boy and the mother was going crazy, she would still always sing him the song at night after he was asleep. The song used throughout the story is great for children to use to begin to read themselves through memory. This song will also help readers to better understand what the story was about because songs help students with their memorization of text.
The central message of this book is about the unconditional love a mother has for her child. No matter what the little boy did the mother always sang to him at night to show her love for him. This story also touches upon how a paren's love can cross generations with the incorporation of the boy's grandmother. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 16, 2014 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible