Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love You Forever (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

Member:CPCC-EDU
Title:Love You Forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Other authors:Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)
Info:Firefly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Munsch(auth), McGraw(Ilus), picture_book, bedtime stories, love, family dynamics, parents

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

English (328)  Spanish (1)  All (329)
I have nothing but good things to say about this book. I can't remember when I first came across it, but it is a story that I have read many times to my children (and now quote to them) and I have given at many baby showers. It is such a beautiful story about the devotion of a mother to her son. Even though he is unruly and does things that a parent would consider annoying, his mother's love is unconditional as "she rocks him back and forth." A beautiful story that you will love forever. ( )
  CAEdwards | Mar 22, 2017 |
I remember my mother reading this book to me when I was younger and I loved it just as much then as I did reading it as an adult. One of the reasons I love this book is because the repetition makes it easy and fun to follow. For example, the book has repetition when "the boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew". Every time the boy would grow, no matter how big, his mother rocks and sings to him the same song “I’ll love you forever, I’ll love you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be”.
Another reason I love this book is because it is such a relatable book for everyone. For example, when the mother would say “this kid is driving me crazy!” when he is two years old. I feel that many parents feel this way when raising their children because young children do not know any better about certain things such as flushing their moms watch down the toilet or running around the whole house like in the book. Teenagers can also relate to this book because that stage of life always presents strangeness whether it is in music or clothes like mentioned in the book.
The central idea of this book is the unconditional love a parent has for their child. It does not matter how old the child or parent gets, that child will always be the parents' baby. I think this is so important to remember because growing up parents and children have various conflicts and often forget the amount of love that is forever present in the relationship. ( )
  marisasantos | Mar 6, 2017 |
This is one of my all time favorite children's books ! It makes me cry almost every time I read it. One of the reasons I love this book is the writing is so engaging. The book is repetitive making it easy to follow the story. The phrases "back and forth and back and forth and back and forth" are featured as the mother was rocking her baby, no matter his age throughout the book. Another repetitive phrase and to me the most significant is what the mother says to the boy, that it also repeated throughout the story. "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living , my baby you'll be." To this day, I say this to my daughter. That phrase is repeated every time the mom rocks the boy, even as he ages into a grown man. Another reason I love this book is for the plot. It is sequenced very well . For example, the boy starts as a baby and even when he is an adult and moved into his own house, his mom still rocks him back and forth. The book begins with him as a baby and and s with the the boy as a man rocking his own daughter back and forth The story comes full circle. The big idea of the story is even though your children may grow, they will always be babies to their mothers/fathers, even when they have children of their own. As a mother, this message deeply affects me. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 1, 2017 |
In my opinion this book is amazing. I read this book as a child and absolutely loved it. The whole point is to show a love that a mother has for her child, and the relationship they have. One reason I really liked this book is because of the writing style. The writing style in this book is so sweet. For example, “But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of the bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth. While she rocked him she sang: I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, As long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.” The word choice the author chose is fantastic, this book makes me want to read it over and over again. Another reason why I like this book is the illustrations. I love the colors in the illustrations and I love the pictures. They match the words on the page and its kind of beautiful. A mother’s love for her child is something so power no one will ever understand until they have children, that goes for myself. This book has been one of my favorite books since I was a little girl. ( )
  mwolf11 | Feb 27, 2017 |
Genre- realistic fiction because its about a family and their traditions
Age- Primary
Summary- This book is about a mother that loves her baby boy no matter what and she will always go and sing him the song at night when he is a sleep. Then when she gets old he sang her the song. Then when he had a child he sang her that same song and the tradition stayed.
Critique- I like this book and i could see me reading it as a cute story in class and just one of my favorites growing up. But i think that it is a little repetitive. The book has a good moral to it and shows good traditions. ( )
  alopez19 | Feb 24, 2017 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible