Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch

Love You Forever (original 1986; edition 1995)

by Robert N. Munsch, Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)

Member:CPCC-EDU
Title:Love You Forever
Authors:Robert N. Munsch
Other authors:Sheila McGraw (Illustrator)
Info:Firefly Books (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Munsch(auth), McGraw(Ilus), picture_book, bedtime, love, family, parents

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (1986)

This story is about a little boy who's mother would sneak into his room at night to check if he was asleep and if he was fast asleep she would pick him up and rock him back and forth while she sang "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be". She did this every night throughout the boys life. Then the mother gets ill and the boy goes over to his mothers house and rocks her back and forth singing a similar song. In the end, the boy who is now a grown man with his own family starts rocking his baby girl and singing the same song his mother sang to him all those years.

I thought the book had a very good story line and the message that the book gives is very clear. However, I did not care for the illustrations. I thought some of the images were a little bit creepy. Children may respond differently to the book but I felt the pictures of the mother crawling across the floor into the boys bedroom were kind of scary. When the boy is a toddler it is not as bad but when he is a grown man and the mother is climbing a ladder and sneaking into his room I think it is a little much.

A classroom extension could be to have the class make a cut out heart and write a message on it for their guardians or a loved one.
Another idea would be for the students to make up a song like the one in the book. ( )
  Js126863 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a story about a little boy who at night his mother would curl him up and sing a little tune to him. No matter how old he got she would sing that tune to him, even if she had to wait till he fell asleep and sneak into his room. Once she got to sing to him he would hold her the same way and sing to her. Once he had his own child he would rock his baby and sing the same tune to him.

Personal Experience:
I would have to say this is one of my all time favorite books ever. The story behind it means so much more now to me since I am a mother than when it was read to me as a child. I would read this to my children almost everynight when they were first born. My grandma has always taken care of me as a child and now I take care of here and this book really reminds me of that.

Classroom Extension:
1. After reading the story to the children I would ask them to share a song that their parent or grandparent would sing to them.
2. After the story I could ask the student what their favorite lulaby is, or favorite song that theri parents have sang to them. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 15, 2014 |
The mother love his son. He is very trouble for his mom, but she still loves him. while he is growing, his mother is very angry, but she still love him.
Source: Pierce College Library
  yasutakan | May 29, 2014 |
A great bedtime story, a mother telling a son how much she loves him. Proabbly wouldnt keep in the classroom, just is very traditional family, and with such a diverse classroom didn't wanna make anyone feel left out. ( )
  mariah21 | May 15, 2014 |
Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. It shows us that no matte what we do, our mothers will still love us, which is a definitely something kids should know. However, I personally thought it was creepy that the mom would sneak into her son's room and hold him at night, even when he was an adult. Though, it could just be a metaphorical symbol for her love always being there. I would recommend this book for a Mother's Day gift. Your mom would enjoy the kindness that is "Love you Forever." ( )
  bmmoore | May 9, 2014 |

Munsch, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGraw, SheilaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Sam, Gilly, Andrew, Tyya and Julie Munsch
A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Love You Forever is a story that will bring readers to happy tears. It focuses on the relationship between a mother and her little baby boy and the enjoyment and love for each other. It will bring or want you to be closr to your mother.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0920668372, Paperback)

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels. (Ages 4 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:03 -0400)

A young woman hold her newborn son and looks at him lovingly. This is the story of how that little boy goes through the stages of childhood and becomes a man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible