Firefly Rain by Richard Dansky

Firefly Rain

by Richard Dansky

Jake Logan is one of those small-town kids who escaped to the big city. Maryville, North Carolina is where he grew up, but it never felt like home, so he moved on with his life when he reached adulthood, moved to Boston, and left his parents behind. Years later he has returned, his parents long past, to visit his ancestral home for a short while. It's not a day after settling in that things begin to go terrible wrong, and what at first seems like a string of bad luck quickly takes a turn for the preternatural.

This is a weird one for me. I didn't technically dislike it, but I found myself extremely disappointed by the ending. This is amost never the case with me, I generally accept a story for what it is and can acknowledge that the author did what they did for the reason, but this one had me puzzled, because the end felt out of character for the main character, and the entire time I felt like it was leading in the exact opposite direction.

Anyway, it was a decent book, if not a teensy bit stereotypical in most aspects. I enjoyed the experience, it was creepy in places, and overall I give it a not-great but perfectly satisfactory 3-stars. ( )
  Ape | Oct 5, 2016 |
The first thing I noticed about this book is the cover. I think it is gorgeous, and a bit misleading for a Gothic novel, it looks more like a fantasy with this cover, in my opinion. Well, you know what they say about covers and books. The author calls this book genre Snowbird Gothic, I have to admit I don't understand the term but Gothic it definitely is. I enjoyed this book, I haven't read a good scary story in awhile and the author did scare me in this one. There are some twists and turns and some unexpected points, which is always good in a ghost story. Take a look and tell me what you think! ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Our hero, Jacob Logan, returns to the old home place after many years in the big city only to find some creepy and curious things going on. He’s clueless, and the author makes sure that we are, too, until the very end when all is revealed.

On the one hand, it’s fun to be able to go along for the ride without figuring out the ending well in advance. On the other hand, the author is so careful to leave us in the dark, some of the parts of the story are a little hard to figure out.

One thing I can’t stand is a book that comes to The End — or a movie that starts rolling credits — without first providing answers. I watched a subtitled movie once that had me on the edge of my seat. And then, it was over. *None* of the questions were answered. And it was a fascinating movie, with lots of twists and turns and a big mystery that wasn’t solved at the end. I was so ticked, I looked up the movie to see if there was something I missed. Nope. The director/writer even had the audacity to state that he didn’t feel it was his responsibility to spoon feed the ending to the viewers, and liked to let us come up with our own ending(s).

I beg to differ. I don’t want to work that hard. I want mindless escapism and resolution.

This book reminded me of that movie, but not in such a drastic way. The main mystery *was* explained, so I have no quarrel with that. But I did still have a lot of questions that weren’t answered. Actually, I had questions about interactions throughout the book that Jacob seemed to understand the significance of, since he said so, but didn’t make sense to me.

Jacob hired an old friend of his mother’s as a caretaker for the house. These guys aren’t friends, and that’s not really a spoiler because it’s obvious from the first mention. Anyway, at one point, he tells Jacob he has something important to tell him, but they have to trek out into the woods first. Okay, yeah, creepy factor here. But after the conversation, when Jacob heads back to the house, I’m thinking, “Okay, this was dramatic and scary and all of that — but he didn’t really tell him anything!” Apparently Jacob thought so — he heads to the attic to retrieve his father’s journal. Once again, the clues from this reading are vague to me, but Jacob is seems to be wiser for it.

This book has sometimes been classified as a horror novel, but I didn’t get that impression. Perhaps the subtlety kept me from making that leap. It might also be the fact that I thought it was a little slow to get going. Strange things begin to happen almost immediately, but the really scary, hard to explain stuff takes awhile to show up.

Quite a bit of the story revolves around Jacob’s own thoughts, with little interaction or dialog with other characters. Sometimes I found myself wishing some crazy old cat lady would visit to liven things up, but this was rare because I mostly enjoyed Richard Dansky’s writing style.

I don’t know if I would read this book again, but I’m glad I read it the first time, and would recommend it to my friends who enjoy creepy stories. I think what I most enjoyed about it was that it was a new concept, not a re-run of other creepy stories just told a bit differently, but with the same reason for all the weirdness, like, for instance, revenge. I was pleasantly surprised that the finale didn’t involve any of the usual plot twist suspects. ( )
  TheEclecticBookworm | Jan 15, 2014 |
Hello creepy haunted house book! Even though it may be a way too overwritten topic, this book manages to take it to a whole new level. Loved the ambiance the author created: it sure gave me goosebumps every now and then. When you think you have this one figured out, keep reading, because it sure wasn't what or who you were thinking in the first place. ( )
  AleAleta | Oct 6, 2011 |
Firefly Rain was the creepiest book I've read in a while, and I mean that in a good way!A quote on the back cover refers to this book as horror, but this isn't what I think of when I see that label.The novel has a very gothic feel, with mysterious happenings, a spooky house, a young protagonist at a crossroads in his life (although I tend to think of gothic novels as featuring women), and even a little romance (key to the plot, although not to the storytelling).The book examines what it mean to be from someplace and what it means to belong somewhere. The small town seems like a character at times, and you wonder if the residents are driving the towns atmosphere, or if the town is influencing the actions of the people.I found Jacob to be flawed but sympathetic, and even more importantly, I found him interesting. He's worked hard on his business all of his adult life, and has retreated to his childhood home to decide what comes next.The secondary characters were flat, but deliberately so, I think. They were catalysts in a story that really was about Jacob, his parent's house and the town he was raised it.I'm looking forward to reading more by Richard Dansky. ( )
  ImBookingIt | Jun 6, 2011 |

Richard Danskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A riveting supernatural mystery like you've never read before.

The prodigal son leaves the big city to return to his dearly departed parent's house in North Carolina only to find, now that he's home, that something is trying to make damn sure he stays there--even if it means burying him out back.

In a small town with dark secrets, one man struggles to find a way out before the spirit of the town can find a way in.

Marking the debut of our brand-new imprint dedicated to showcasing the best new voices in speculative fiction, Firefly Rain is one of the most chilling, unique ghost stories ever penned. Mystery lovers will devour the clues. Fantasy readers will be sucked in by the magical atmosphere. No one will be able to put it down--until the very last twist comes to light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:47 -0400)

"Once upon a time, in the small town of Maryfield, a thoughtless son stood on his mother's grave and did a terrible thing. But that was no surprise. He'd ignored his mother's pleas for him to come home for years. He didn't go back until the day she was buried, and then left as soon as he could. There was just something about that house that could never feel like home." "Ten years later, with his parents and business dead, the prodigal son returns from the big city to live in his mother's house. He only planned to stay for a few days - long enough to get himself together, make plans, and start fresh." "But this time, it won't be so easy to leave. Plunged into the life he attempted to escape, he must come to terms with his family, himself, and the consequences of his actions before the ghosts of the past haunt more than his memory."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Dansky's book Firefly Rain was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Richard E. Dansky is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible