HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red…
Loading...

The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red Classics) (original 1896; edition 2007)

by H. G. Wells

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
3,739931,396 (3.63)1 / 279
Member:benjamin7857
Title:The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red Classics)
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:London : Penguin, 2007
Collections:Novels & Novellas
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells (1896)

  1. 60
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
  2. 10
    Next by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
  3. 10
    The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Bioy Casares uses "The Island of Doctor Moreau" as a model for his own "The Invention of Morel", also set on a island, but a much stranger one...
  4. 10
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
  5. 00
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov (Michael.Rimmer)
  6. 00
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber (HighlandLad)
  7. 01
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (88)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
Showing 1-5 of 88 (next | show all)
I decided that I wanted to read this book after reading the crappy young-adult knockoff Dr. Franklin's Island earlier this year. And, as far as knock-offs go...really all Dr. Franklin did was update the technology and terminology.

I'm not sure how to describe this book other than to say, I believe that if I lived during the time it was written...I would have found it super scary. That being said, I would still say this was a good book...not quite a GREAT book, but good. :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I decided that I wanted to read this book after reading the crappy young-adult knockoff Dr. Franklin's Island earlier this year. And, as far as knock-offs go...really all Dr. Franklin did was update the technology and terminology.

I'm not sure how to describe this book other than to say, I believe that if I lived during the time it was written...I would have found it super scary. That being said, I would still say this was a good book...not quite a GREAT book, but good. :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
As a fan of most of Wells true science fiction works, as opposed to his socialist commentaries, I believe this is his finest effort. The basic story line is a true classic, and the work flows seamlessly throughout. Wells style is descriptive yet not burdened with excess imagery. He paints a vivid picture of the sometimes gruesome adventures of the protagonist and builds suspense throughout. A must read. ( )
  la2bkk | Jun 21, 2014 |
Fairly predictable, but a thrilling read none the less. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
Very well written but just not my kind of story. Too creepy! I had to watch some silly TV for a while after finishing to prevent myself from having nightmares! ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 88 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (46 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Wells, H. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aldiss, Brian WilsonAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Atwood, MargaretIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Michele, RossanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kent, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kindt, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, StevenNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parrinder, PatrickEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
"I do not propose to add anything to what has already been written concerning the loss of the Lady Vain."
Quotations
Das Schreien klang draußen noch lauter. Es war, als hätte aller Schmerz der Welt eine Stimme gefunden. Und doch - hätte ich gewußt, daß im Nebenzimmer solcher Schmerz zugefügt wurde, und wäre er stumm ertragen worden, ich glaube - so habe ich mir seither gedacht -, ich hätte es ganz gut aushalten können. Erst, wenn das Leiden Ausdruck findet und unsere Nerven erbeben macht, quält uns das Mitleid.
[Kapitel 8, letzter Absatz - S. 41 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
All diese Geschöpfe trugen trotz ihrer menschlichen Form und trotz der Andeutung von Kleidung in sich, in ihre Bewegungen, in den Ausdruck ihrer Gesichter, in ihr ganzes Wesen hinein verwoben, das unverkennbare Zeichen eines Tiers ...
[Kapitel 9, 15. Absatz - S. 45 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
Aber, wie gesagt, ich war zu aufgeregt und - das ist wahr, wenn auch jemand, der die Gefahr nie gekannt hat, vielleicht nicht daran glaubt - zu verzweifelt, um zu sterben.
[Kapitel 13, 1. Absatz - S. 68 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
"Bis auf diesen Tag hab' ich mich um die Ethik der Angelegenheit noch nie bekümmert. Das Studium der Natur macht den Menschen schließlich so gewissenlos, wie die Natur selbst ist."
[Zitat Dr. Moreau in Kapitel 14, 28. Absatz - S. 79 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
Vorher waren sie Tiere gewesen; ihre Instinkte waren ihrer Umgebung angepaßt, und sie selbst so glücklich, wie lebendige Wesen nur sein können. Jetzt stolperten sie in den Fesseln der Menschlichkeit dahin, lebten in einer Angst, die niemals starb, von einem Gesetz gequält, das sie nicht verstanden; ihre halbmenschliche Existenz begann in Qualen, war ein einziger langer, innerer Kampf, eine einzige lange Furcht vor Moreau - und wozu? Die Nutzlosigkeit regte mich auf.
[Kapitel 17, drittletzter Absatz - S. 102 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary
Doctor Moreau
made animals human
but this goes wrong

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553214322, Mass Market Paperback)

A shipwreck in the South Seas, a palm-tree paradise where a mad doctor conducts vile experiments, animals that become human and then "beastly" in ways they never were before--it's the stuff of high adventure. It's also a parable about Darwinian theory, a social satire in the vein of Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels), and a bloody tale of horror. Or, as H. G. Wells himself wrote about this story, "The Island of Dr. Moreau is an exercise in youthful blasphemy. Now and then, though I rarely admit it, the universe projects itself towards me in a hideous grimace. It grimaced that time, and I did my best to express my vision of the aimless torture in creation." This colorful tale by the author of The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, and The War of the Worlds lit a firestorm of controversy at the time of its publication in 1896.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:35 -0400)

(see all 8 descriptions)

Following a shipwreck, a young naturalist finds himself on an island run by a mad scientist intent on creating a strain of beast men

(summary from another edition)

» see all 18 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.63)
0.5
1 16
1.5 2
2 49
2.5 20
3 248
3.5 104
4 304
4.5 24
5 134

Audible.com

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014144102X, 0141029153, 0141389397

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,624,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible