The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red…

The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red Classics) (original 1896; edition 2007)

by H. G. Wells

3,808971,361 (3.63)1 / 284
Member:benjamin7857
Title:The Island of Doctor Moreau (Penguin Red Classics)
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:
Collections:Novels & Novellas

The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells (1896)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    Next by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Bioy Casares uses "The Island of Doctor Moreau" as a model for his own "The Invention of Morel", also set on a island, but a much stranger one...
    Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle (allenmichie)
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (Michael.Rimmer)
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber (HighlandLad)
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)

English (92)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
Edward Pendrick is a grateful man. Having survived a sinking ship, he is found sick and near-death by a passing boat, which rescues and resuscitates him. However, upon waking, he finds that some of the people on the boat are rather...odd, and things only get stranger when he comes to stay at a mysterious research facility on an uncharted island. Something is clearly not right with the right with the people that have rescued him, but he hasn't a clue what a gruesome discovery he is about to stumble upon.

While many of H.G. Wells' books have a timeless quality about them, so much so that they continue to be replicated today as is the case with The Time Machine and War of the Worlds, this definitely feels very much from the 1800's. It's quite fantastical, really, and though the content of the book are actually being perpetrated to a MUCH less degree in science today, the method as written is a bit silly, and you have to work at suspending your own disbelief if you want to get the most out of this one.

Despite the dated science, the philosophy is still sound, and I particularly liked what he had to say during the final chapter in the book. Whereas similar books such as Frankestein by Mary Shelley go into more detail, I found Wells' suggestions about religion and humanization through suffering to be curious, to say the least. ( )
  Ape | Sep 21, 2014 |
I could rate this anywhere between 2 and 5 stars. Certainly daring for its day, but was it more daring than Stevenson's Hyde decades earlier or Frankenstein a century before? The idea of a mad scientist doing experiments on an island is now a standard trope but was this idea new in 1896? -- if so, that idea alone would make it a classic. The notion of merging biological creatures is still cutting edge when glowing rabbits are created from jelly fish cells. The plot does have problems, if the brutes are not made from humans why do they appear human-like? One suspects Wells might have written a different book and changed it later to suit censors who found it too creep.. or done on purpose to play with the reader's fears. ( )
  Stbalbach | Sep 7, 2014 |
'What could it all mean? A locked enclosure on a lonely island, a notorious vivisector, and these crippled and distorted men?' This is the actual plot without any details. The details make this a very disturbing story. I forgot just how disturbing.
It is interesting how this was an adventure when I first read it. Not a happy one, but still an adventure before anything else. Now, it is a horror story.

However you choose to see it, it will still be a horrifying account of Prendick's stay on the island.
The strongest and, of course, the most disturbing part of the story is Moreau's explanation of his work. The fact that he talks about it as if pain and suffering don't matter, makes it even worse. Combine that with the sounds of a tortured animal day after day and you'll get it. 'This time I will burn out all the animal.' I felt sorry for most of his subjects, but there is something simply disgusting about pigs and hyenas that sickened me every time they appeared. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
This book surprised me. I think everyone has heard of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" whether it be from the book, the movie or just the concept or reference. I knew what the book was about before reading it but really had no idea how creepy and detailed the book would be.

Looking at the history of it, I found out this was a banned book that most found “appalling” because of the subject matter. According to Wikipedia, “When the novel was written in 1896, there was much discussion in Europe about degeneration and animal vivisection. Interest groups were formed to address the issue: the British Union for the Abolition of Vivisection was formed two years after the publication of the novel.” This just shows you how powerful this novel was back in that time period. What surprised me is how H.G. Wells came up with this advanced science, technology and psychology back then. He wasn’t just a writer but an inventor through his writing. He has a way of connecting with things that people don’t yet understand or can even wrap their minds around. I find his writing to be extremely thought provoking, and would have loved the chance to have read it back in its time period.

Without giving too much away, I wanted to mention my connection with the main characters thoughts and feelings about humans after his experience. I related so well to his reactions at being back in civilization that I find myself questioning how human I am, or how human any of us are. Why do we feel aggravated by other people so easily? Is evolution connected to this or just a coincidence?
I really connected with this book and enjoyed reading it quite a bit. I’m not sure if I’m in love with Wells or just his writing but I’d really like to use his time machine to travel back and meet him… and maybe swoon a bit. :) ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I decided that I wanted to read this book after reading the crappy young-adult knockoff Dr. Franklin's Island earlier this year. And, as far as knock-offs go...really all Dr. Franklin did was update the technology and terminology.

I'm not sure how to describe this book other than to say, I believe that if I lived during the time it was written...I would have found it super scary. That being said, I would still say this was a good book...not quite a GREAT book, but good. :) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Kent, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kindt, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLean, StevenNotessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parrinder, PatrickEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I do not propose to add anything to what has already been written concerning the loss of the Lady Vain."
Das Schreien klang draußen noch lauter. Es war, als hätte aller Schmerz der Welt eine Stimme gefunden. Und doch - hätte ich gewußt, daß im Nebenzimmer solcher Schmerz zugefügt wurde, und wäre er stumm ertragen worden, ich glaube - so habe ich mir seither gedacht -, ich hätte es ganz gut aushalten können. Erst, wenn das Leiden Ausdruck findet und unsere Nerven erbeben macht, quält uns das Mitleid.
[Kapitel 8, letzter Absatz - S. 41 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
All diese Geschöpfe trugen trotz ihrer menschlichen Form und trotz der Andeutung von Kleidung in sich, in ihre Bewegungen, in den Ausdruck ihrer Gesichter, in ihr ganzes Wesen hinein verwoben, das unverkennbare Zeichen eines Tiers ...
[Kapitel 9, 15. Absatz - S. 45 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
Aber, wie gesagt, ich war zu aufgeregt und - das ist wahr, wenn auch jemand, der die Gefahr nie gekannt hat, vielleicht nicht daran glaubt - zu verzweifelt, um zu sterben.
[Kapitel 13, 1. Absatz - S. 68 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
"Bis auf diesen Tag hab' ich mich um die Ethik der Angelegenheit noch nie bekümmert. Das Studium der Natur macht den Menschen schließlich so gewissenlos, wie die Natur selbst ist."
[Zitat Dr. Moreau in Kapitel 14, 28. Absatz - S. 79 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]
Vorher waren sie Tiere gewesen; ihre Instinkte waren ihrer Umgebung angepaßt, und sie selbst so glücklich, wie lebendige Wesen nur sein können. Jetzt stolperten sie in den Fesseln der Menschlichkeit dahin, lebten in einer Angst, die niemals starb, von einem Gesetz gequält, das sie nicht verstanden; ihre halbmenschliche Existenz begann in Qualen, war ein einziger langer, innerer Kampf, eine einzige lange Furcht vor Moreau - und wozu? Die Nutzlosigkeit regte mich auf.
[Kapitel 17, drittletzter Absatz - S. 102 in der Ausgabe Das Neue Berlin 1988]

Doctor Moreau
made animals human
but this goes wrong

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553214322, Mass Market Paperback)

A shipwreck in the South Seas, a palm-tree paradise where a mad doctor conducts vile experiments, animals that become human and then "beastly" in ways they never were before--it's the stuff of high adventure. It's also a parable about Darwinian theory, a social satire in the vein of Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels), and a bloody tale of horror. Or, as H. G. Wells himself wrote about this story, "The Island of Dr. Moreau is an exercise in youthful blasphemy. Now and then, though I rarely admit it, the universe projects itself towards me in a hideous grimace. It grimaced that time, and I did my best to express my vision of the aimless torture in creation." This colorful tale by the author of The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, and The War of the Worlds lit a firestorm of controversy at the time of its publication in 1896.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:35 -0400)

Following a shipwreck, a young naturalist finds himself on an island run by a mad scientist intent on creating a strain of beast men

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014144102X, 0141029153, 0141389397

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible