First Blood by David Morrell

First Blood (1972)

by David Morrell

Series: Rambo (1)

It's action packed and it keeps you on your toes. 4/5 TF (9th grade) I chose this book because my dad said it was really good. AG ( )
  edspicer | Sep 26, 2013 |
This was a great read. The characters Rambo v Teasle was played out. Although it was a bit of a boys own adventure story it was well paced and moved along rapidly. The moral and ethical issues of the story, with both lead males being ex soldiers was really well done. Not sure I will bother with the movies, I'm sure they will be a let down ( )
  boabflower | Feb 7, 2012 |
Great dual character study contrasting Rambo and Teasle. Much darker than the movie. ( )
  Segapup | Nov 19, 2011 |
I intended to read the book in it's own right but I just couldn't help making comparisons with the movie the whole time.
Never having been a supporter of the Rambo franchise I was all geared up to loathe my way through this book but it defied me the whole way.
What the book is much better at than the movie is in making you beg with your whole being that one side back down - knowing that this would end the conflict. As I type this I am watching the documentary "The War You Don't See". The truth behind the fiction of this book makes my skin crawl and my eyes prickle. Will we ever learn? Knowing my nature I suspect not. As much as we aim to avoid conflict; sometimes we are just itching for it. memento mori. ( )
  wodfest | Aug 7, 2011 |
It had constant action and kept you on your toes. I wanted to see how it differed from the movie. AHS/GF
  edspicer | May 19, 2010 |
to Phillip Klass and William Tenn: each in his own way.
His name is Rambo, and he was just some nothing kid for all anybody knew, standing by the pump of a gas station at the outskirts of Madison, Kentucky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446364401, Mass Market Paperback)

First came the man: a young wanderer in a fatigue coat and long hair. Then came the legend, as John Rambo sprang from the pages of FIRST BLOOD to take his place in the American cultural landscape. This remarkable novel pits a young Vietnam veteran against a small-town cop who doesn't know whom he's dealing with -- or how far Rambo will take him into a life-and-death struggle through the woods, hills, and caves of rural Kentucky.

Millions saw the Rambo movies, but those who haven't read the book that started it all are in for a surprise -- a critically acclaimed story of character, action, and compassion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:55 -0400)

When a Vietnam veteran John Rambo arrives in Madison, Kentucky, the chief of police is determined to rid the town of him, and the two war veterans become involved in a deadly life or death struggle through the hills of rural Kentucky.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,243,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible