Nemesis by Isaac Asimov

Nemesis (1989)

by Isaac Asimov

English (21)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (23)
I already read this novel at least a decade ago in Dutch translation, although I didn't quite realize it until I'd read the first few chapters. At the time I was less familiar with Asimov's own corpus in particular and I remember I enjoyed it a lot. Perhaps it was the relative lack of novelty, but I didn't get the same sense of absorption in the plot as I did back then. Some concepts that are taken for granted in the Foundation series, such as superluminal travel, are explained in more detail, and give or take a few inconsistencies the universe it takes place in is at the very least very similar. If you generally like Asimov then you won't be disappointed, and if you're new to scifi or Asimov there could certainly be worse introductions.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
In this page turner, Earth is being threatened by an accidentally discovered nearby star system. The threat will take several thousands of years coming, but is it long enough? The people of Rotor are being told by their leader, Janus Pitt, to forget about Earth and start over alone in this new star system. Earth, however, is not going to go quietly into that good night and sets out to save itself. ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Jan 3, 2014 |
I read this novel close to the same time I read one by Robert Charles Wilson, Bios, which started from a similar premise, that all life on a planet comprises an aware entity. Other than that, the two tales are very different, Asimov's focused on an improbably strange solar system approaching earth and how humanity deals with its approach. It's a satisfying read from one of the greats.. ( )
  nmele | Nov 11, 2013 |
This is a mostly escapist novel of intergalactic exploration and alien contact. Asimov generally weaves a good story, and this one is full of characters who are self-consciously [b:making history|18490|Frankenstein|Mary Shelley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166956574s/18490.jpg|4836639]. Once he mentioned that he never edits his work, and this could definitely have used some editing. Occasionally, mostly in the beginning, he gets pedantic and repetitious. But you keep turning the pages, just so you can find out what happens. ( )
  astrologerjenny | Apr 25, 2013 |
Nemesis is also written in Asimov's traditional plain style. Descriptions of people and places are perfunctory. It is astounding that a 364-page gas giant of a novel leaves you with so little idea what its main characters are actually like.

Compared with what Philip K. Dick was doing in the '60s this is unimaginative stuff.
added by andyl | editThe Guardian, Jack Schofield (Oct 12, 1989)

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mark Hurst, my valued copy editor, who, I think, works over my manuscripts harder than I do
He sat there alone, enclosed. (Prologue)
Marlene had last seen the Solar System when she was a little over one year old.
This book is not part of the Foundation Series, the Robot Series, or the Empire Series. (Author's Note)
Again, Janus Pitt sat there alone, enclosed. (Epilogue)

In the twenty-third century pioneers have escaped the crowded earth for life in self-sustaining orbital colonies.  One of the colonies, Rotor, has broken away from the solar system to create its own renegade utopia around an unknown red star two light-years from Earth:  a star named Nemesis.  Now a fifteen-year-old Rotorian girl has learned of the dire threat that nemesis poses to Earth's people--but she is prevented from warning them.  Soon she will realize that Nemesis endangers Rotor as well.  And so it will be up to her alone to save both Earth and Rotor as--drawn inexorably by Nemesis, the death star--they hurtle toward certain disaster.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:07 -0400)

A gripping tale of high adventure, action, and mystery, Nemesis is Grand Master Isaac Asimov at his best--and destined to become a classic for many years to come.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible