Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward…

Sarum: The Novel of England (original 1987; edition 2004)

by Edward Rutherfurd (Author)

Member:pennma05
Title:Sarum: The Novel of England
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd (Author)
Info:Gramercy (2004), Edition: First Edition, 912 pages
Tags:to-read, my-home-library, tbr-owned

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (1987)

English (61)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (65)
Unremarkable. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
This is an epic novel that spans the entire history of a village/settlement in England called Sarum.

I'm finally done! Took me about 3 months for the audio (for a book approx. 1000 pages in print). I seem to have trouble with really long books. They can hold my attention for a while, but for most of them, not throughout. Some parts I liked, but others I just wasn't listening. For this book, because it spanned thousands of years, there were different characters at different times, and because of that, they were kind of like short stories, which I'm not a big fan of. Overall, I'm giving it 3 stars, “o.k.” from me. I won't likely be reading anything else by Rutherfurd, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 2, 2019 |
While I enjoyed listening to this very long book (about 45 hours), I didn't love it. It's not quite a history and not quite a novel, covering Sarum from almost the beginning of time until 1987, when it was first published. This is highly fictionalized, a string of beads strung together by geography and families. While I did get a feeling of history from it, I never got to know any of the (many!) characters well enough to really care about them. Yes, it was worth the time I spent listening to it, but it didn't engage me as much as I expected. The jury is still out about whether I read or listen to another of Rutherfurd's doorstop sagas. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jan 25, 2019 |
It's hard to rate this 1033-page behemoth detailing the history of the Salisbury Plains in England, from prehistoric times to late 20th-century.

Rutherfurd takes a page from james Michener's locale-oriented tales and follows several families, each of whom came into the area during different historical eras, as fortunes rise and fall and as history washes over the island. The most interesting portions are those leading up to the building of the great Salisbury cathedral. Up until that point, its fascinating reading.

There follows a 600-year, 500-page section that's like wading through molasses. Things don't liven up until the WWII era just a few pages from the end.

Overall, I'd give it a C rating, downgraded from an A- because of that deadly-dull section. The wise reader will skim through it, but the first third of the book is fascinating. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Some of these chapters just dragged on. Others were quite fun and nice to read. Not as good as London or New York ( )
  JohnLambrechts | Sep 24, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to those who built
and to those who are now trying to save
Salisbury Spire
First, before the beginning of Sarum, came a time when the world was a colder and darker place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804102988, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece that is breathtaking in its scope, SARUM is an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history. This rich tapesty weaves a compelling saga of five families who preserve their own particular characteristics over the centuries, and offer a fascinating glimpse into the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Bestselling novel depicting 10,000 years of British history through the life of one community.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible