Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd

Sarum (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:moppety
Title:Sarum
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Crown Publishers (1987), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 897 pages
Collections:No longer owned
Tags:Fiction, Historical Fiction, British History, Salisbury Plain, Stonehenge

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (1987)

English (47)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (51)
Fictional account of the History of a part of England ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
I wanted to love this book because I love the area it is written about, and the historical events and archaeological sites it is supposed to tell about. However, I can't bring myself to read anymore and waste any more of my life on this book. The writing is abysmal. It's as if someone wanted to write a nonfiction book but figured it wouldn't sell, then threw in some characters (names, really, not characters) and the occasional line of dialogue between chunks of master's thesis and sold the mishmash as a sweeping historical saga. The result is just dreadful, sometimes to the point of being funny. I read about half a page that had particularly annoyed me aloud to my husband and he laughed so hard he nearly cried. I am not sure what book everyone else is reading, but I must have gotten hold of the wrong copy because the one I have would not have made it out of a high school English class without a lot of red marks and a failing grade. I wish the author had just published his nonfiction book. I probably would have loved that. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
early history of England focused on Salisbury
  drbrendan | Oct 3, 2016 |
Well I FINALLY finished SARUM. It was lengthy, very detailed, and if I hadn't been so interested in the subject matter, and had the chance to tour the locale concurrent with my read, I think I'd probably not have finished. Without the physical attachment to the sense of place, I'd have labeled it ponderous. In a style reminiscent of James Michener and Ken Follett, Rutherford uses fictional characters to show us the progression of life in ancient Britain after the land mass separates from continental Europe. From approx 10000 BC to 1985 AD we see life the history of England from the perspective of "ordinary" gentry, farmers, and masons.

In spite of its vastness, the book was well worth the read, and one that is written well enough that it can be taken in small bits. I also listened to parts of it in audio - a format I enjoy and which was well done. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jul 7, 2016 |
Wonderful book from a better writer than Michener. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to those who built
and to those who are now trying to save
Salisbury Spire
First, before the beginning of Sarum, came a time when the world was a colder and darker place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804102988, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece that is breathtaking in its scope, SARUM is an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history. This rich tapesty weaves a compelling saga of five families who preserve their own particular characteristics over the centuries, and offer a fascinating glimpse into the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Follow five families over the course of 10,000 years as they portray the history of England, from the Ice Age to the present.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,635,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible