Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward…

Sarum: The Novel of England (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Title:Sarum: The Novel of England
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Cornerstone Digital; New Ed edition
Tags:Historical fiction, Salisbury Region (Wiltshire) › History › Fiction.

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (1987)

English (41)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
I tried reading this book. Some points were interesting but I really had too hard of a time getting into it. I read three chapters in and could not even think about finishing. I did try though. Just wasn't for me. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Oct 4, 2015 |
This rating is a 3.5 in comparison with Rutherfurd's other books. I thought three chapters' worth of prehistoric peoples was too much, and the last few chapters felt a bit rushed in consequence. And while I thought the information dumps worked better in the narration than in the mouths of the characters, the intercutting of single lines of dialogue between chunks of explanatory narration felt bumpy. (I should just admit right now that I will never be entirely happy with how the information dumping is handled in this sort of book and just learn to live with it.)

My favourite parts were probably the ones involving the cathedral being built, and whenever later chapters dealt with the restoration of or threats to said cathedral. I also enjoyed the smugglers, the (English) Civil War bits, and the Romans. Another interesting experiment was the chapter about the plague that features a beginning section narrated from the third person limited viewpoint of a rat, and then a flea, as the plague enters England. It made me itchy and a little nauseated just reading it!

If you like doorstopper history books, this will probably serve your needs well. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 4, 2015 |
I am a fan of Edward Rutherfurd's writings. There is something quite delicious about taking a large, sweeping historical novel and opening the pages for the first time - knowing that you have a long, slow, interesting and compelling read in front of you. Sarum does not disappoint. Yes, I would have liked a bit more character development and yes, I was occasionally confused about who was who (the genealogy chart at the front of the book was most helpful in these instances).

The most interesting characters of the book (in my opinion) were the builders of Stonehenge and the Salisbury cathedral (boasting the tallest spire in England to this day). I found it incredible to read how these ancient people were capable of and responsible for building these structures that are a marvel of engineering and stand to this day!

Overall, however, Sarum was an interesting read that held my attention throughout. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Jan 22, 2015 |
This book had the potential to be good, but clearly I need to stop reading this sort of sweeping historical epic. I generally read quickly, but when every chapter is a different story, I find it hard to get into the book, and thus don't make quick progress.
The ending especially left me very bleh.
I liked Rutherford's Paris, but this did not do it for me. ( )
  AgnesArt | Dec 10, 2013 |
If you like sweeping historical epics, this is for you. This author is the British James Michener. ( )
1 vote sswright46168 | Aug 29, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to those who built
and to those who are now trying to save
Salisbury Spire
First, before the beginning of Sarum, came a time when the world was a colder and darker place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804102988, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece that is breathtaking in its scope, SARUM is an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history. This rich tapesty weaves a compelling saga of five families who preserve their own particular characteristics over the centuries, and offer a fascinating glimpse into the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Follow five families over the course of 10,000 years as they portray the history of England, from the Ice Age to the present.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,868,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible