Sarum: The Novel of England by Edward…

Sarum: The Novel of England (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Edward Rutherfurd

Member:EllasGran
Title:Sarum: The Novel of England
Authors:Edward Rutherfurd
Info:Cornerstone Digital; New Ed edition
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical fiction, Salisbury Region (Wiltshire) › History › Fiction.

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (1987)

English (44)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (48)
Well I FINALLY finished SARUM. It was lengthy, very detailed, and if I hadn't been so interested in the subject matter, and had the chance to tour the locale concurrent with my read, I think I'd probably not have finished. Without the physical attachment to the sense of place, I'd have labeled it ponderous. In a style reminiscent of James Michener and Ken Follett, Rutherford uses fictional characters to show us the progression of life in ancient Britain after the land mass separates from continental Europe. From approx 10000 BC to 1985 AD we see life the history of England from the perspective of "ordinary" gentry, farmers, and masons.

In spite of its vastness, the book was well worth the read, and one that is written well enough that it can be taken in small bits. I also listened to parts of it in audio - a format I enjoy and which was well done. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jul 7, 2016 |
Wonderful book from a better writer than Michener. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
A novel sweeping the history of England touching times from ancient orgins to present day. Pretty good! ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
I tried reading this book. Some points were interesting but I really had too hard of a time getting into it. I read three chapters in and could not even think about finishing. I did try though. Just wasn't for me. ( )
  ladyofunicorns | Oct 4, 2015 |
This rating is a 3.5 in comparison with Rutherfurd's other books. I thought three chapters' worth of prehistoric peoples was too much, and the last few chapters felt a bit rushed in consequence. And while I thought the information dumps worked better in the narration than in the mouths of the characters, the intercutting of single lines of dialogue between chunks of explanatory narration felt bumpy. (I should just admit right now that I will never be entirely happy with how the information dumping is handled in this sort of book and just learn to live with it.)

My favourite parts were probably the ones involving the cathedral being built, and whenever later chapters dealt with the restoration of or threats to said cathedral. I also enjoyed the smugglers, the (English) Civil War bits, and the Romans. Another interesting experiment was the chapter about the plague that features a beginning section narrated from the third person limited viewpoint of a rat, and then a flea, as the plague enters England. It made me itchy and a little nauseated just reading it!

If you like doorstopper history books, this will probably serve your needs well. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jul 4, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to those who built
and to those who are now trying to save
Salisbury Spire
First, before the beginning of Sarum, came a time when the world was a colder and darker place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804102988, Mass Market Paperback)

A masterpiece that is breathtaking in its scope, SARUM is an epic novel that traces the entire turbulent course of English history. This rich tapesty weaves a compelling saga of five families who preserve their own particular characteristics over the centuries, and offer a fascinating glimpse into the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Follow five families over the course of 10,000 years as they portray the history of England, from the Ice Age to the present.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,508,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible