Daughter of Fortune: A Novel (P.S.) by…

Daughter of Fortune: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1999; edition 2006)

by Isabel Allende

Member:EnriqueFreeque
Title:Daughter of Fortune: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:Harper Perennial (2006), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:chilean lit, books, 21st century fiction, fiction, novel, california, gold mines, historical fiction, love story

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende (1999)

English (127)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Lithuanian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (145)
An interesting tale of travel, family relations and lost love. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
This book kind of shocked me but it's by far my favorite Allende, it's filled with historical stories, that I'm not sure if they're real or fiction but very interesting and the second love story that blooms in the book is quite different than anything I've read. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I liked this book a lot because it's true that it was a love story but at the same time it wasn't like the usual disney love stories we all know. In this book the main character Eliza does fall in love, but she doesn't wallow in pain and sadness when her loved one leaves, she does something about it. I love the fact that the author gave her guts and smarts. I also love how Eliza is so amazingly self aware about this love she has. Definitely not the typical love story, good ending though.
This is only the first time reading the book but I will definitely reread it. There are a lot of other issues shown in the book like conformity and being an outsider, freedom from expectations placed on your gender and such which is another reason why I love this book so much. Very layered and definitely makes you think about human relationships among other things. ( )
  Beatriz_V_F | Feb 27, 2016 |

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Everyone is born with some special talent, and Eliza Sommers discovered early on that she had two: a good sense of smell and a good memory.
Svarbiausia yra tai, kaip gyveni šiame pasaulyje, o ne tai, kaip į jį atėjai; Sakė, jog žinios be išminties neturi vertės, ir nėra išminties be dvasingumo, o tikrasis dvasingumas visada reikalauja tarnauti kitiems; Mokytojo nuomone, blogai, kai žmogus nesugeba kurti eilių, bet nepalyginimai blogiau, kai kuria neišmanydamas.
It is what you do in this world that matters, not how you come into it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061120251, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, February 2000: Until Isabel Allende burst onto the scene with her 1985 debut, The House of the Spirits, Latin American fiction was, for the most part, a boys' club comprising such heavy hitters as Gabriel García Márquez, Jorge Luis Borges, and Mario Vargas Llosa. But the Chilean Allende shouldered her way in with her magical realist multi-generational tale of the Trueba family, followed it up with four more novels and a spate of nonfiction, and has remained in a place of honor ever since. Her sixth work of fiction, Daughter of Fortune, shares some characteristics with her earlier works: the canvas is wide, the characters are multi-generational and multi-ethnic, and the protagonist is an unconventional woman who overcomes enormous obstacles to make her way in the world. Yet one cannot accuse Allende of telling the same story twice; set in the mid-1800s, this novel follows the fortunes of Eliza Sommers, Chilean by birth but adopted by a British spinster, Rose Sommers, and her bachelor brother, Jeremy, after she is abandoned on their doorstep.
"You have English blood, like us," Miss Rose assured Eliza when she was old enough to understand. "Only someone from the British colony would have thought to leave you in a basket on the doorstep of the British Import and Export Company, Limited. I am sure they knew how good-hearted my brother Jeremy is, and felt sure he would take you in. In those days I was longing to have a child, and you fell into my arms, sent by God to be brought up in the solid principles of the Protestant faith and the English language."
The family servant, Mama Fresia, has a different point of view, however: "You, English? Don't get any ideas, child. You have Indian hair, like mine." And certainly Eliza's almost mystical ability to recall all the events of her life would seem to stem more from the Indian than the Protestant side.

As Eliza grows up, she becomes less tractable, and when she falls in love with Joachin Andieta, a clerk in Jeremy's firm, her adoptive family is horrified. They are even more so when a now-pregnant Eliza follows her lover to California where he has gone to make his fortune in the 1849 gold rush. Along the way Eliza meets Tao Chi'en, a Chinese doctor who saves her life and becomes her closest friend. What starts out as a search for a lost love becomes, over time, the discovery of self; and by the time Eliza finally catches up with the elusive Joachin, she is no longer sure she still wants what she once wished for. Allende peoples her novel with a host of colorful secondary characters. She even takes the narrative as far afield as China, providing an intimate portrait of Tao Chi'en's past before returning to 19th-century San Francisco, where he and Eliza eventually fetch up. Readers with a taste for the epic, the picaresque, and romance that is satisfyingly complex will find them all in Daughter of Fortune. --Margaret Prior

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:21 -0400)

A Chilean woman searches for her lover in the goldfields of 1840s California. Arriving as a stowaway, Eliza finances her search with various jobs, including playing the piano in a brothel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible