Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4 by Greg Rucka

Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4

by Greg Rucka

Even though the series may be losing a little steam by this point, there is enough in this volume to leave the reader satisfied.

While there has been substantial time devoted to both the Penguin and Two-Face in the previous 3 volumes, we're given someone new to focus on this time around. Bane makes his entrance into No Man's Land with grand plans for the crumbled city. While the reader is still not entirely sure what direction he's headed in throughout the book, the end treats us with a blockbuster twist worthy of a gasping WHOA.

This also contains one of the best back and forth exchanges between Batman and Commissioner Gordon that I've ever read. I was truly on the edge of my seat. It leads to a stunning move on Batman's part to try and gain Jim's trust again.

All that great stuff aside, some of the artwork was lackluster and at times, pretty ugly. What's great about a multi-artist collaboration can also lead to a disadvantage. It can be pretty cool to see different artists visions throughout, resulting in some intense visuals but it can also lead to some disappointing storytelling that can take the reader right out of the comic. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I didn't like this volume as much as the previous two, mainly because of the Harvey Dent v. Jim Gordon storyline, which seemed ... poorly thought out. But I did like the idea of Batman offering to unmask himself to Gordon, and Gordon refusing to look was a nice touch, along with the suggestion that he might have figured it out long ago. I'm not sure I bought Gordon's resentment towards Batman, but the resolution really worked.

I liked the idea of Clark Kent's visit to Gotham, although again, his appearance makes it hard not to wonder why the other heavy hitters of the DCU aren't stepping up. But it's far too easy to ignore the secret identities, so I get a kick out of seeing Clark Kent the farmer, rather than Superman.

Also, I've never read Broken Bat, so my only knowledge of Bane comes from the gawdawful Batman and Robin movie, but seriously? Bane? Seriously? ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
The No-Man's Land saga continues, as major players enter for the first time: Bane, Luthor and Joker. Superman also makes a memorable appearance here in a nicely written story, as he and Batman discuss progress thus far. The other story of note, possibly the best-written of the No-Man's Land stories, is when Batman and Jim Gordon finally air their differences, some recent, some going back to their beginnings. This is a fine bit of writing, condensing in a few pages the uneasy alliance, and even friendship, that has existed between these two warriors for many years. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 12, 2007 |

Has the adaptation

"Originally published in single magazine form as Batman 571-572, The Batman chronicles 18, Batman: legends of the dark knight 125, Batman : shadow of the bat 92-93, Detective comics 736, 738-739"--T.p. verso.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible