Batman: No Man's Land, Volume 4 by Greg…

Batman: No Man's Land, Volume 4 (2012)

by Greg Rucka, Mike Deodato (Illustrator)

Perhaps it's because maybe not all the issues of the time are included in this volume (seriously, in the 90s the DC wide stories just went bananas and were crazy complicated, I still don't understand how those who bought individual issues instead of waiting for Trades could follow the story without going broke). Jumping back and forth between subplots without there being much connective story between those subplots.

Also, I really didn't love most of the art in this volume. Some of it was just way too cartoony. I don't mind the art not being 100% realistic, but when it looks like it should be on the Cartoon Network instead of in a comic book, I consider it too cartoony. ( )
  DanieXJ | Oct 22, 2014 |
Even though the series may be losing a little steam by this point, there is enough in this volume to leave the reader satisfied.

While there has been substantial time devoted to both the Penguin and Two-Face in the previous 3 volumes, we're given someone new to focus on this time around. Bane makes his entrance into No Man's Land with grand plans for the crumbled city. While the reader is still not entirely sure what direction he's headed in throughout the book, the end treats us with a blockbuster twist worthy of a gasping WHOA.

This also contains one of the best back and forth exchanges between Batman and Commissioner Gordon that I've ever read. I was truly on the edge of my seat. It leads to a stunning move on Batman's part to try and gain Jim's trust again.

All that great stuff aside, some of the artwork was lackluster and at times, pretty ugly. What's great about a multi-artist collaboration can also lead to a disadvantage. It can be pretty cool to see different artists visions throughout, resulting in some intense visuals but it can also lead to some disappointing storytelling that can take the reader right out of the comic. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
A brilliant conclusion to a great series of vignettes & plot lines all centred around No Mans Land. Some brilliant art, the majority of it was OK & there was some weaker entries. Great fun, easy to read & of course, a Batman Universe event involving the psychotic clown. Recommended to all fans of the genre. ( )
  aadyer | Feb 6, 2014 |
The collected 21-issue conclusion to the epic Batman No Man's Land saga was extremely well-written. As it is a little more graphic than even the previous three volumes, I would definitely recommend it to more mature teen readers. Once again, I was impressed by the inter-connected stories and the other members of the Batman family (Nightwing, Oracle, Robin, Huntress, Azrael and the new Batgirl) getting important roles to play. I would also highly recommend this four-volume set to fans of the last three Batman movies. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 4, 2013 |
I didn't like this volume as much as the previous two, mainly because of the Harvey Dent v. Jim Gordon storyline, which seemed ... poorly thought out. But I did like the idea of Batman offering to unmask himself to Gordon, and Gordon refusing to look was a nice touch, along with the suggestion that he might have figured it out long ago. I'm not sure I bought Gordon's resentment towards Batman, but the resolution really worked.

I liked the idea of Clark Kent's visit to Gotham, although again, his appearance makes it hard not to wonder why the other heavy hitters of the DCU aren't stepping up. But it's far too easy to ignore the secret identities, so I get a kick out of seeing Clark Kent the farmer, rather than Superman.

Also, I've never read Broken Bat, so my only knowledge of Bane comes from the gawdawful Batman and Robin movie, but seriously? Bane? Seriously? ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |

Greg Ruckaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deodato, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

"Originally published in single magazine form as Batman 571-572, The Batman chronicles 18, Batman: legends of the dark knight 125, Batman : shadow of the bat 92-93, Detective comics 736, 738-739"--T.p. verso.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,351,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible