The Secret History of the World by Mark…

The Secret History of the World (2008)

by Mark Booth

It was kind of fun to see what this guy had to say, but I lost interest when he seemed to lack sources and leaned heavy on speculation and conspiracy.

That said, conspiracy can be a lot of fun...and so I think this would be great material for the background of novel.

That aside, there are so many books out there, I just didn't have time to spend with this book instead of others. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
For those interested in the esoteric side of life and who want a quick skim through the collected western history of the background to western secret societies, then this is the book for you. If you are on a more serious quest then you might find the material somewhat glib and shallow.

Having said that I found it a reasonably gripping read and some very interesting unlikely connections were drawn out by the author in his ramble through creation to the present day.

My biggest criticism is the lack of substantive proof for a lot of the claims being made in the book. In the author's defense, i guess, given the scope of the book, it would have turned into a much biggre tome than it already is.

Would i recommend it? Yes wholeheartedly.

Breathwork | Apr 7, 2013 |
Interesting subject. Lots of intriguing anecdotes and rumors, though thrown up in a random way. Sadly, pretty poorly written, and with No citations. In fact, a lot of "a frined of mine told me that one time..." and "Someone that I know who knew Rasputin's cousin told me..." At time the author sounds like a whacky internet conspiracy theorist

Ugh. ( )
  andalusiac | Nov 3, 2012 |
This book was like reviewing for the occult GRE. I wasn't really learning anything new, but maybe I'll finish someday to see where Booth was going.
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |
Bad writing and terrible research ( )
  AuraNefertari | Apr 16, 2012 |
Intro:
This is the history of the world that has been taught down the ages in certain secret societies.
Once upon a time there was no time at all.

They say that history is written by the victors. But what if history - or what we have come to know as history - has all along been written by the wrong people? What if everything we've been told is only part of the story? What if it's often the wrongpart?
In this groundbreaking culmination of a lifetime's research, Mark Booth embarks on an enthralling and mind-opening journey through our world's secret histories. Starting from a dangerous premise - that everything we've been taught about our world's past  is corrupted, and that the stories put forward by the various cults and Mystery schools through history are true - Booth produces nothing short of an alternate account of the past three thousand years.
History is more than a list of things that have happened; it's a measure of consciousness and experience. And in The Secret History of the World, Boothe charges through time and space and thought in interdisciplinary fashion. Embracing cognitive science, religion, psychology, historiography, and philosophy, a new timeline is drawn, and a huge swath of our cultural heritage that has for long been hidden is restored.
From Greek and Egyptian mythology to Jewish folklore, from Christian cults to Freemasons, from Charlemagne to Don Quixote, from George Washington to Hitler - Booth shows without a doubt that there is more than one angle from which to view history, and he has three thousand years of hidden wisdom to back it up.

An intellectual tour of the world's lesser-known histories offers a collection of alternate views that are drawn from a premise that history has been recorded from the corrupted perspectives of its victors.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,619,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible