Trading in Memories: Travels Through a…

Trading in Memories: Travels Through a Scavenger's Favorite Places

by Barbara Hodgson

A feast for the eyes and the imagination. This is a richly illustrated and highly evocative memoir of the author's scavenges in markets and antique shops around the globe, in search of cheap and interesting ephemera. As this is one of my own favourite pastimes, I could completely relate. Armchair travel at its finest - pick this up and dip into it whenever you want to be whisked away to a Parisian flea market or an Egyptian souk.
  Panopticon2 | Feb 12, 2011 |
A travel book to nooks and crannies of the world. Barbara Hodgson's world is one of found art, scavenged treasures and mysterious tales of adventures in flea markets, antique shops, cemeteries and book shops.

A book designer and writer, Barbara Hodgson has created a collage of souvenirs and anecdotes from around the world.

The illustrations and photos are evocative and have made me reconsider every souvenir I've ever brought back from a trip. ( )
  somisguided | Nov 7, 2007 |
"I have no use for shops where every image is sequestered in a gilt frame, where every scrap has been examined for its monetary value; I'm not understood at those places. The streets and the anarchic markets that resemble my brain-that's where I go." p4
2 vote AlecA | Sep 25, 2007 |

Barbara Hodgsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orth, JuttaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Visiting markets, bookstores, cemeteries and courtyards, Barbara Hodgson looks to the world's cast-offs and curiosities to reveal rich and intimate insights into people, places and times past.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,334,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible