Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave…

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane… (original 1996; edition 2008)

by Stephanie Barron

Member:Hollylee1973
Title:Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery
Authors:Stephanie Barron
Info:Bantam (2008), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read on Kindle, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:jane austen sequel, period mystery, mystery series, england regency

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron (1996)

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are written with a similar conceit - Jane's diaries found and footnoted by the editor/author. "Unpleasantness" has Jane solving a murder mystery to clear her friend, while "Lost Memoirs" delves into the possible romance that inspired Austen's greatest works.… (more)

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
It didn't flow for me, I got to page 77 after several attempts to get into it. Nope, it just doesn't work for me.
  wyvernfriend | May 6, 2015 |
Jane has had a bad experience (broken engagement) and her friend Lady Isobel invites to Christmas at Scargrave Manor. But before the holidays commence, the Earl of Scargrave, Isobel's new husband, dies suddenly. When threatening notes, presumably from her maid, make the Countess the prime suspect in murder, Jane is left to uncover the real murderer and clear her friend.

The mystery was interesting however, I'm not sure I can buy in with Jane Austen as a detective. I'm not planning on rushing to the next one. ( )
1 vote cyderry | Feb 2, 2015 |
Nice historical mystery - I didn't love it but I would be willing to try more in the series. It seems like a series that has improved with each book. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
Austen-philes with a love of mysteries will be delighted with Barron's historical mystery series featuring Jane Austen as an amateur detective. Jane is visiting her friend Isobel, now Countess of Scargrave, when tragedy strikes. The Earl of Scargrave is suddenly falls victim to a violent gastric illness. The unpleasantness is increased by a blackmail letter threatening to reveal Isobel's adultery and mariticide. Isobel begs for Jane's help to clear her name and restore her honor. As a devoted friend, Jane is only too willing to assist. The eleventh Jane Austen mystery, Jane and the Canterbury Tale, was released in August 2011.
  ktoonen | Mar 16, 2012 |
Jane (Austen, that is) is to stay with her friend Isobel, the new Countess of Scargrave, to celebrate Isobel's return from her honeymoon. Jane's stay at Scargrave Manor soon goes awry when the Earl dies suddenly. Worse trouble looms however, when a second death occurs and suspicion falls on Isobel and the old Earl's nephew and heir. Isobel begs Jane to discover the truth, and so Jane Austen turns detective.

I really liked this book. Barron does a good job of imitating Austen's writing style and writing to suit her period setting. Real elements from Austen's life make their way into the story, as do quotes and paraphrases from Pride And Prejudice (I don't know Austen's other works well enough to spot quotes from them if they were there), which I thought was quite fun.

The mystery is very well written and flows so well as a story that there are no 'info dumps'. It's refreshing that Jane, as the detective, is not infalliable and while some of the motives are a bit transparent Barron still manages to add a twist at the end. A number of the characterisations seem to draw from those in Pride And Prejudice but since I love those characters I didn't think this was a problem, especially since Barron did it well.

In the forward Barron explains that Austen apparently did write a detective manuscript (which was never intended for publication) and how the manuscript eventually ended up with her to be edited and published. Initially I was reading out of curiosity, but I quickly found myself really enjoying the book for its own sake.

I'd recommend this for anyone who likes a really good cosy mystery, and if you happen to be a fan of Jane Austen even better. ( )
1 vote SouthernKiwi | Nov 19, 2011 |
Jane's Introduction: When a young lady of more fashion than means has the good sense to win the affection of an older gentleman, a widower of high estate and easy circumstances, it is generally observed that the match is an intelligent one on both sides.
Chapter One: "What do you make of it, Jane?" the Countess of Scargrave asked.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575937, Mass Market Paperback)

In a time of near Jane Austen-mania, what better heroine to solve a mystery than Jane herself? Only two things are required: a satisfying, well-structured whodunit plot and a knack for rendering Austen's style at picking up the most delicate nuances in social behavior. Stephanie Barron succeeds on both counts. When the squire of a country manor in Hertfordshire is found lifeless in his bed, foul play is suspected and Jane is called upon to unravel the mystery. Along the way, Barron employs Jane as the first-person narrator and adeptly re-creates Austen's voice and delightfully subtle humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:41 -0400)

A mystery novel that casts Jane Austen as a sleuth who is called upon to investigate the suspicious death of the Earl of Scargrave, but the matter becomes urgent when the widow is accused of orchestrating her husband's death because of her love for his nephew.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,867,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible