Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave…

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane… (original 1996; edition 2008)

by Stephanie Barron

Member:Hollylee1973
Title:Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery
Authors:Stephanie Barron
Info:Bantam (2008), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read on Kindle, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:jane austen sequel, period mystery, mystery series, england regency

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron (1996)

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both are written with a similar conceit - Jane's diaries found and footnoted by the editor/author. "Unpleasantness" has Jane solving a murder mystery to clear her friend, while "Lost Memoirs" delves into the possible romance that inspired Austen's greatest works.… (more)

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
The first in a series based on Jane Austen as an amateur sleuth, I ended up really loving this. I haven't read as much Austen as I'd like, but enough to want to give this series a try. As with Austen's novels, the language takes a little getting used to, but I was easily pulled into the story and enjoyed the ride. ( )
  tygress | Jun 29, 2015 |
It didn't flow for me, I got to page 77 after several attempts to get into it. Nope, it just doesn't work for me.
  wyvernfriend | May 6, 2015 |
Jane has had a bad experience (broken engagement) and her friend Lady Isobel invites to Christmas at Scargrave Manor. But before the holidays commence, the Earl of Scargrave, Isobel's new husband, dies suddenly. When threatening notes, presumably from her maid, make the Countess the prime suspect in murder, Jane is left to uncover the real murderer and clear her friend.

The mystery was interesting however, I'm not sure I can buy in with Jane Austen as a detective. I'm not planning on rushing to the next one. ( )
1 vote cyderry | Feb 2, 2015 |
Nice historical mystery - I didn't love it but I would be willing to try more in the series. It seems like a series that has improved with each book. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
Austen-philes with a love of mysteries will be delighted with Barron's historical mystery series featuring Jane Austen as an amateur detective. Jane is visiting her friend Isobel, now Countess of Scargrave, when tragedy strikes. The Earl of Scargrave is suddenly falls victim to a violent gastric illness. The unpleasantness is increased by a blackmail letter threatening to reveal Isobel's adultery and mariticide. Isobel begs for Jane's help to clear her name and restore her honor. As a devoted friend, Jane is only too willing to assist. The eleventh Jane Austen mystery, Jane and the Canterbury Tale, was released in August 2011.
  ktoonen | Mar 16, 2012 |
Jane's Introduction: When a young lady of more fashion than means has the good sense to win the affection of an older gentleman, a widower of high estate and easy circumstances, it is generally observed that the match is an intelligent one on both sides.
Chapter One: "What do you make of it, Jane?" the Countess of Scargrave asked.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575937, Mass Market Paperback)

In a time of near Jane Austen-mania, what better heroine to solve a mystery than Jane herself? Only two things are required: a satisfying, well-structured whodunit plot and a knack for rendering Austen's style at picking up the most delicate nuances in social behavior. Stephanie Barron succeeds on both counts. When the squire of a country manor in Hertfordshire is found lifeless in his bed, foul play is suspected and Jane is called upon to unravel the mystery. Along the way, Barron employs Jane as the first-person narrator and adeptly re-creates Austen's voice and delightfully subtle humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:41 -0400)

A mystery novel that casts Jane Austen as a sleuth who is called upon to investigate the suspicious death of the Earl of Scargrave, but the matter becomes urgent when the widow is accused of orchestrating her husband's death because of her love for his nephew.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,995,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible