War Brides by Helen Bryan

War Brides (edition 2012)

by Helen Bryan

Collections:E-Book
Rating:*1/2
Tags:K, WWII, Europa, UK, | 1940er, Sussex, Englisch, dnf12, aussortiert

War Brides by Helen Bryan

I had to think for a bit about the rating on this one. On the one hand, I had a hard time putting it down. On the other hand, the ending had parts that were completely unrealistic, and one of the themes in the story was a bit hard to digest. HOWEVER -- the characters stayed with me past closing the book, and I was genuinely surprised and delighted with a couple of the endings, even if some would say they were too neatly tied up. I don't care -- I liked it.

The story is about a group of women during WWII in a small town in England. It's about sacrifice and love, bravery and secrets. There's a bunch of back story which has been off-putting to some readers, so you have to be able to mentally jump from here to there and back again. My copy didn't have the spelling and grammatical errors that others found, but there are some historical inaccuracies -- for instance, the Air Force wasn't the Air Force when Bryan says it is (and I say this as a USAF veteran). I can overlook that, though.

However, I have to give the book five stars because it stuck with me and I was sad to see it end, even if the ending was a little sloppy. I actually got into the characters and their lives and maybe it was just the right time for me to read this sort of thing, but I enjoyed it. The best WWII fiction book ever? No. Worth reading? Yes!

Lori Anderson

Blog
Shop
Facebook
Book Blog ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
About 40 years ago, I got hooked on some genre fiction that seems to exist largely in the UK - the World War II Homefront novel. These usually focus on a group of women who are bearing up with humor & stiff upper lips amidst the hardships of rationing and the terror of nightly bombing raids and holding their homes and families together. This one is more of the same - not very good writing and a preposterously far-fetched plot. Bu I was tired of reading serious fiction and wanted to give my brain a rest and the ebook was only 99-cents. Everyone deserves a guilty pleasure now & then. ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 23, 2014 |
A positively charming novel about life in a quiet English village during World War II. This was just a book that I really enjoyed reading. From cover to cover it was a real joy to watch the lives of the five war brides unfold during the years of the war. The ending is a twist and totally unexpected. Great book! ( )
  briandrewz | Mar 2, 2014 |
Good story. Interesting characters. I liked it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Interesting, if thin, story. I never really felt the bonds between the women - why did they care about one another, beyond that fact that they were all stuck in the same little town during the war? Or, did they, really, care about one another? Maybe it was all just proximity and convenience, I couldn't tell. The strengths of the book, to my mind, lie more in the historical details than in the story, itself. The idea of a street urchin counterfeiter becoming a Lord because his talents were useful during the war, and then turned to good use after; the "Auxi" service; the continental connections between the upper classes and their Continental counterparts leading to...divisions of loyalty; the machinations of trying to get Jewish children safely out of Nazi hands - those things were all fascinating. The story, itself, less so. And, while I understand that the mystery of Frances was, naturally, sudden and inexplicable, it didn't really require such a rushed and cliched ending. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |

Alice Osbourne, the stolid daughter of the late vicar, is reeling from the news that Richard Fairfax broke their engagement to marry Evangeline Fontaine, an American girl from the Deep South. Evangeline's arrival causes a stir in the village but not the chaos that would ensue if they knew her motives for being there. Scrappy Elsie Pigeon is among the poor of London who see the evacuations as a chance to escape a life of destitution. Another new arrival is Tanni Zayman, a young Jewish girl who fled the horrors of Europe and now waits with her newborn son, certain that the rest of her family is safe and bound to show up any day. And then there's Frances Falconleigh, a madcap, fearless debutante whose father is determined to keep her in the countryside and out of the papers. --amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible