War Brides by Helen Bryan

War Brides (edition 2012)

by Helen Bryan

Collections:E-Book
Rating:*1/2
Tags:K, WWII, Europa, UK, | 1940er, Sussex, Englisch, dnf12, aussortiert

War Brides by Helen Bryan

A positively charming novel about life in a quiet English village during World War II. This was just a book that I really enjoyed reading. From cover to cover it was a real joy to watch the lives of the five war brides unfold during the years of the war. The ending is a twist and totally unexpected. Great book! ( )
  briandrewz | Mar 2, 2014 |
Good story. Interesting characters. I liked it. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Interesting, if thin, story. I never really felt the bonds between the women - why did they care about one another, beyond that fact that they were all stuck in the same little town during the war? Or, did they, really, care about one another? Maybe it was all just proximity and convenience, I couldn't tell. The strengths of the book, to my mind, lie more in the historical details than in the story, itself. The idea of a street urchin counterfeiter becoming a Lord because his talents were useful during the war, and then turned to good use after; the "Auxi" service; the continental connections between the upper classes and their Continental counterparts leading to...divisions of loyalty; the machinations of trying to get Jewish children safely out of Nazi hands - those things were all fascinating. The story, itself, less so. And, while I understand that the mystery of Frances was, naturally, sudden and inexplicable, it didn't really require such a rushed and cliched ending. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book, but it kind of stumbled toward the ending...and it was predictable. ( )
  bookweaver | Oct 6, 2013 |
The beginning of this is entirely way too confusing. 5 women can be a bit much to keep track of, especially when you throw in other characters as well. I kept putting this down and picking it back up, ultimately having no idea what is going on. What I came away with is that no matter where I was in the book, nothing new in terms of subject matter was being unearthed. Not worth the time. ( )
  amandacb | Aug 24, 2013 |

Alice Osbourne, the stolid daughter of the late vicar, is reeling from the news that Richard Fairfax broke their engagement to marry Evangeline Fontaine, an American girl from the Deep South. Evangeline's arrival causes a stir in the village but not the chaos that would ensue if they knew her motives for being there. Scrappy Elsie Pigeon is among the poor of London who see the evacuations as a chance to escape a life of destitution. Another new arrival is Tanni Zayman, a young Jewish girl who fled the horrors of Europe and now waits with her newborn son, certain that the rest of her family is safe and bound to show up any day. And then there's Frances Falconleigh, a madcap, fearless debutante whose father is determined to keep her in the countryside and out of the papers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible