War Brides by Helen Bryan

War Brides (edition 2012)

by Helen Bryan

Collections:E-Book
Rating:*1/2
Tags:K, WWII, UK, | 1940er, Sussex, Englisch, dnf12, aussortiert

War Brides by Helen Bryan

Definitely a page turner once the story gets going. The beginning is filled with a lot of background information and story building, it almost becomes overwhelming. However, near the end, my mind couldn't keep up with my eyes as I was wanting to know what happened to everyone. The author's note gave away some of the information so I was trying to figure out when it came into play instead of just letting the story develop on it's own. ( )
  gmoore8911 | Sep 11, 2016 |
Set during WWII in England, this novel follows the lives of 5 war brides in a small town not too far from London. Each of the 5 girls are very different and have very different stories. I enjoyed the book but was not impressed with the lack of follow through in some of the story lines. The end was very rushed, I thought, and the book ended with questions unanswered. In two instances, I found the sudden change in attitudes towards the husbands rather disturbing. In fact, with one of them, I looked back through the book, sure I had missed something crucial. Why did she suddenly adore her husband when just a few pages ago, she was in love with someone else? I found no answers. The whole story line with the twins just seemed out of place with the rest of the book also. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 12, 2016 |
This is an interesting look at life in wartime from the other perspective. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |
I found myself a little disappointed with War Brides by Helen Bryant and I think the biggest reason for that is that this wasn't the story I expected. I thought the story would focus on women who married servicemen from a different country and the bulk of the story would be about the adjustments they had to make in order to fit in and feel at home in their new country. In actual fact this story was about a group of women, who did marry during the war, but the storyline was about how these five women met and what they did during the war. But my biggest complaint is that the book felt very pieced together and the part that was set in the present was truly a mess with the ending making little to no sense.

This story is about five young women, all from different social classes and backgrounds, who meet in an English village during World War II. By the end of the book, we are supposed to believe that these women have the unbreakable bond of true friendship between them, but I never felt that the author demonstrated this. Mostly they just seemed to tolerate each other.

War Brides would certainly have benefited from tighter editing. It felt very much like a manuscript before it was polished, edited and made into a book. The secret to books like this is to make the reader really care about the characters but these characters were poorly developed and rather stereotypical. I did buy this at a reduced price for my Kindle and I guess it’s another case of getting what one pays for. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 15, 2016 |
The story of four war brides in a small village in England from 1937 to 1944 and a reunion in 1995. The hardships and triumphs while the men were away. It tells how the girls bonded together to bring order into the chaos of war. I liked this book because it showed women who became strong when they had to be. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know how the women of England worked to supply the necessary goods and services to win the war. ( )
  JCGirl | May 7, 2016 |

Alice Osbourne, the stolid daughter of the late vicar, is reeling from the news that Richard Fairfax broke their engagement to marry Evangeline Fontaine, an American girl from the Deep South. Evangeline's arrival causes a stir in the village but not the chaos that would ensue if they knew her motives for being there. Scrappy Elsie Pigeon is among the poor of London who see the evacuations as a chance to escape a life of destitution. Another new arrival is Tanni Zayman, a young Jewish girl who fled the horrors of Europe and now waits with her newborn son, certain that the rest of her family is safe and bound to show up any day. And then there's Frances Falconleigh, a madcap, fearless debutante whose father is determined to keep her in the countryside and out of the papers. --amazon.com.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible