War Brides by Helen Bryan

War Brides (edition 2012)

by Helen Bryan

Collections:E-Book
Rating:*1/2
Tags:K, WWII, UK, | 1940er, Sussex, Englisch, dnf12, gelöscht

War Brides by Helen Bryan

English (23)  German (1)  All (24)
Just rambled on with an assorted bunch of characters. Honestly, couldn't wait for the book to end. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
An average read, in my opinion. I liked the story but found it confusing at points and it's not easy to turn back to prior chapters or early pages of the book on kindle editions. It's the story of five young women brought together by circumstance during WWII. They hail from different places with varied backgrounds but bond during their young lives. The book begins and ends with a more current time when VE day is being celebrated in the small town where they once lived. They're elderly ladies now and one is missing. The other four gather for the celebration, and also to learn what happened to the missing member and to other important people in the story.

I had trouble keeping the characters straight, for awhile. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Definitely a page turner once the story gets going. The beginning is filled with a lot of background information and story building, it almost becomes overwhelming. However, near the end, my mind couldn't keep up with my eyes as I was wanting to know what happened to everyone. The author's note gave away some of the information so I was trying to figure out when it came into play instead of just letting the story develop on it's own. ( )
  gmoore8911 | Sep 11, 2016 |
Set during WWII in England, this novel follows the lives of 5 war brides in a small town not too far from London. Each of the 5 girls are very different and have very different stories. I enjoyed the book but was not impressed with the lack of follow through in some of the story lines. The end was very rushed, I thought, and the book ended with questions unanswered. In two instances, I found the sudden change in attitudes towards the husbands rather disturbing. In fact, with one of them, I looked back through the book, sure I had missed something crucial. Why did she suddenly adore her husband when just a few pages ago, she was in love with someone else? I found no answers. The whole story line with the twins just seemed out of place with the rest of the book also. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Jul 12, 2016 |
This is an interesting look at life in wartime from the other perspective. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |

Alice Osbourne, the stolid daughter of the late vicar, is reeling from the news that Richard Fairfax broke their engagement to marry Evangeline Fontaine, an American girl from the Deep South. Evangeline's arrival causes a stir in the village but not the chaos that would ensue if they knew her motives for being there. Scrappy Elsie Pigeon is among the poor of London who see the evacuations as a chance to escape a life of destitution. Another new arrival is Tanni Zayman, a young Jewish girl who fled the horrors of Europe and now waits with her newborn son, certain that the rest of her family is safe and bound to show up any day. And then there's Frances Falconleigh, a madcap, fearless debutante whose father is determined to keep her in the countryside and out of the papers. --amazon.com.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,095,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible