Lord of Fire by Gaelen Foley
After years of preparation, he has baited his trap well, luring the depraved members of Society into his devil's playground so he can earn their trust and uncover their secrets. Yet no one in London suspects that Lord Lucien Knight is England's most cunning spy, an officer who has sacrificed his soul for his country. Now an unexpected intruder has invaded his fortress of sin, jeopardizing his carefully laid plans - and igniting his deepest desires. Beautiful, innocent Alice Montague finds herself at the mercy of scandalous Lord Lucien. But as he begins his slow seduction to corrupt.… (more)

This books starts off highly charged with Lucien holding court over a party that is basically a BDSM and orgy scene. I did say these books were not for the faint of heart didn't I?Lucien and Alice's first scene together made my toes curl and well, basically "Oh Nelly!" is all I have to say about that.

Lucien is that delicious combo of dangerously dark and little boy vulnerable. Alice is the consummate good girl (Lucien calls her "Goody Two-Shoes") until she gets around Lucien, then she finds herself behaving in ways she never imagined. Sounds a little trite but trust me people it works, or at least it did for me!

This book started off incredibly good but kind of fizzled toward the middle and end. The end picks up in action with a spy trying to blow up London and Lucien trying to stop it.This story worked best for me with Alice and Lucien struggling to deal with their feelings. Good god the tension!

Completely dark book but I loved it. I can't seem to adequately put into words why I loved this book, it's just I was completely tied to these characters and will remember them for a long time.

The first line of the book is a quote by Shakespeare: "Something wicked this way comes". Couldn't have said it better myself. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I really have to continue to wonder why I ever stopped reading books that are written by this author. I have continued to collect her books but I have never seemed to have the time to read them. I guess I am going to have to find the time to read more of her books. This is Lord Lucien Knight's story. He is the younger of the twins. He is all alpha male and a master spy. He is also very, very lonely and afraid of losing his soul to the darkness that he feels closing in on him. I can't imagine what it would be like to be spy much less be one during this time period. While Lucien's solution to information gathering is unique it so fits his nickname Lucifer. During one of his notorious party in the Grotto beneath his house he finds the one person that can bring light and happiness into his life. He is smart and finds a way to get her to stay a week with him. He is also wise enough to tell the truth of his time as a spy when that is the only way to keep her. Lucien and his twin Damien are the reason I have a soft spot for dark, tortured heroes.

Alice Montague has always done what is right and what is expected. She has dutifully taken care of her brother's heir and her brother before he died. She is intelligent and compassionate to all those around her. She is also passionate and wants to find someone that will love her for who she really is deep down inside. She is thrilled in many ways when Lucien awakens that passionate side. She is also scared to death of causing a scandal and ruining her reputation. Alice is also willing to forgive those around her. Lord know that she forgive Lucien his many short comings. She is also brave in the face of danger. I liked her very much.

This story is set in the days between Napoleon abdicating and being exiled to Elba and his return and the 100 days War. Ms. Foley seems to have done her research on this period and the unrest that has come about from having French spies that are now homeless and the hatred that existed between the English and French during this time period. She also writes very hot love scenes. While there isn't a lot of sex in the story what is there is delicious. This was a quick read for me. I couldn't seem to put the book down. I just had to find out what was going to happen next. I also have to salute Ms. Foley and her editors as there were very few grammar errors in the book. That was a pleasant surprise. This is a very good story. ( )
1 vote LadyIsis | Aug 19, 2013 |
Not as good as I thought it would be, but it did have it's moments.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2012/01/lord-of-fire-by-gaelen-foley.html ( )
  ktleyed | Jan 9, 2012 |
Very good trashy romance about a spy during the Napoleonic realm, Lucien Knight and Alice Montague. ( )
  afarrington | Aug 23, 2011 |
Shadows sculpted his sharp profile, as he watched the crowded ballroom from the dim, high balcony; in the oscillating glow of the draft-buffeted wall candle, he seemed to flicker in and out of materiality like some tall, elegant phantom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,182,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible