Lord of Fire by Gaelen Foley

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
I really have to continue to wonder why I ever stopped reading books that are written by this author. I have continued to collect her books but I have never seemed to have the time to read them. I guess I am going to have to find the time to read more of her books. This is Lord Lucien Knight's story. He is the younger of the twins. He is all alpha male and a master spy. He is also very, very lonely and afraid of losing his soul to the darkness that he feels closing in on him. I can't imagine what it would be like to be spy much less be one during this time period. While Lucien's solution to information gathering is unique it so fits his nickname Lucifer. During one of his notorious party in the Grotto beneath his house he finds the one person that can bring light and happiness into his life. He is smart and finds a way to get her to stay a week with him. He is also wise enough to tell the truth of his time as a spy when that is the only way to keep her. Lucien and his twin Damien are the reason I have a soft spot for dark, tortured heroes.

Alice Montague has always done what is right and what is expected. She has dutifully taken care of her brother's heir and her brother before he died. She is intelligent and compassionate to all those around her. She is also passionate and wants to find someone that will love her for who she really is deep down inside. She is thrilled in many ways when Lucien awakens that passionate side. She is also scared to death of causing a scandal and ruining her reputation. Alice is also willing to forgive those around her. Lord know that she forgive Lucien his many short comings. She is also brave in the face of danger. I liked her very much.

This story is set in the days between Napoleon abdicating and being exiled to Elba and his return and the 100 days War. Ms. Foley seems to have done her research on this period and the unrest that has come about from having French spies that are now homeless and the hatred that existed between the English and French during this time period. She also writes very hot love scenes. While there isn't a lot of sex in the story what is there is delicious. This was a quick read for me. I couldn't seem to put the book down. I just had to find out what was going to happen next. I also have to salute Ms. Foley and her editors as there were very few grammar errors in the book. That was a pleasant surprise. This is a very good story. ( )
  LadyIsis | Aug 19, 2013 |
Not as good as I thought it would be, but it did have it's moments.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2012/01/lord-of-fire-by-gaelen-foley.html ( )
  ktleyed | Jan 9, 2012 |
Very good trashy romance about a spy during the Napoleonic realm, Lucien Knight and Alice Montague. ( )
  afarrington | Aug 23, 2011 |
I was on the sofa ALL DAY reading this book. What a slug but, hey, it snowed last night and I pretended the roads were bad and I was stranded.I couldn't put it down. Lucien and Alice were such a great pair. They were so loving towards each other it made me smile. He was a bit of a bad boy with a real softness to him, as contradictory as that sounds. He definitely needed a hug. No, alot of hugs. Which I would have gladly provided. Alot. Of hugs, that is. :-) ( )
  rainrunner | Feb 15, 2011 |
Determined to bring back the wayward mother of her chicken poxed nephew Alice Montague breeches the elaborate home of the nefarious Lord Lucien Knight. What she finds once there shocks her, but nothing could be more surprising than the Lord himself who is more than the devil he is made out to be.

Once in a while a book will completely surprise me, and it has happened here. Outside of Lisa Kleypas, who was my first and so far favorite historical romance writer, I have liked but not loved some of the historical romances I've read. This one is something special. I really enjoyed Foley's characters of Lucien and Alice, neither were what you would expect them to be. Instead of being the typical blackguard we quickly learn that Lucien is a pretty sensitive guy, while Alice doesn't seem to exhibit an ounce of prudishness, managing to pull off her virginal character in a charming rather than annoying manner. Because of the character driven nature or romances we don't really get to "see" a huge amount of setting although we do see enough to set us firmly in the time and place. In particular, the grotto beneath Lucien's home sounds simply amazing. I want one of those!

Overall one of the better historical romances I've read and I look forward to reading more by this author, particularly the story of Lucien's twin brother, Damien. ( )
1 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Jun 16, 2009 |
Shadows sculpted his sharp profile, as he watched the crowded ballroom from the dim, high balcony; in the oscillating glow of the draft-buffeted wall candle, he seemed to flicker in and out of materiality like some tall, elegant phantom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449006379, Mass Market Paperback)

Gaelen Foley has become one of the hottest new writers in romance, enticing her readers with bold love stories that burn with emotional intensity. Now in new novel, she presents her most unforgettable hero yet, the irresistible Lord of Fire.

After years of preparation, he has baited his trap well, luring the depraved members of Society into his devil’s playground so he can earn their trust and uncover their secrets. Yet no one in London suspects that Lord Lucien Knight is England’s most cunning spy, an officer who has sacrificed his soul for his country. Now an unexpected intruder has invaded his fortress of sin, jeopardizing his carefully laid plans–and igniting his deepest desires.

Beautiful, innocent, Alice Montague finds herself at the mercy of scandalous Lord Lucien. But as he begins his slow seduction to corrupt her virtue, Alice glimpses a man tormented by his own choices, a man who promises her nothing except his undeniable passion. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Beautiful, innocent Alice Montague, forced by circumstances to spend a week with the wicked Lord Lucien Knight, finds herself hopelessly in love with handsome Rake, but the secrets he is hiding conspire to keep them apart.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible