Baptism of Fire (The Witcher) by Andrzej…

Baptism of Fire (The Witcher) (original 1996; edition 2014)

by Andrzej Sapkowski (Author), David French (Translator)

Series: The Witcher (6)

The Wizards Guild has been shattered by a coup and, in the uproar, Geralt was seriously injured. The Witcher is supposed to be a guardian of the innocent, a protector of those in need, a defender against powerful and dangerous monsters that prey on men in dark times. But now that dark times have fallen upon the world, Geralt is helpless until he has recovered from his injuries. While war rages across all of the lands, the future of magic is under threat and those sorcerers who survive are determined to protect it. It's an impossible situation in which to find one girl--Ciri, the heiress to the throne of Cintra, has vanished--until a rumor places her in the Niflgaard court, preparing to marry the Emperor. Injured or not, Geralt has a rescue mission on his hands.… (more)
Member:muralijayapala
Title:Baptism of Fire (The Witcher)
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski (Author)
Other authors:David French (Translator)
Info:Orbit (2014), 400 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Baptism of Fire by Andrzej Sapkowski (1996)

English (12)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Though I’m not so taken with the tell rather than show sections of this series, I’m still absorbed in the world of The Witcher. This book reveals a new take on a classic monster and an ironic surprise at the end. On to the next… ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Sep 11, 2020 |
I'm still entranced by these novels.

It's sometimes hard to see why. I mean, the way the plot flows, it's almost like there's no sense of structure, just things happening, more character development, and the far-off whispers of big things to come. The war? Already started in the last book. This one is more an off-the-scene recuperation and focused side-quest to get Ciri back. Somehow.

And yet.

Jeeze... the 'and yet' is as big as a lake of fire. And yet, from the start to the finish, I'm totally entranced by the tale, loving the characters, enjoying the new characters even more than the old (save Geralt, of course,) and getting INVESTED all over again in the tale.

It's like there is no true beginning, middle, or end... AND I JUST DON'T CARE. My goodness... can I love our new fair surgeon any more than I do? I don't see how it might be possible. He just FITS in the group more than just about anyone. I love his interactions with everyone. And a certain scene that fits perfectly for an AA meeting?

Totally precious.

I remain ensorcelled. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Just takes you into it's embrace and won't let you go,when you stop reading. The universe is awesome and the parallel plots in this part are all epic. I couldn't tell which plot was the most entangling. I was just looking forward to every one of them, while sinking into the current one at the same time. As usual the title reveals it's facettes at the end of each plot lines and the next book is teasered. From the first Witcher game I know where the overall story goes, but I can't wait to see how. ( )
  Schnapsbrenner | May 31, 2020 |
3'5 /5 estrellas.
Está bien aunque me esperaba más del libro. Hubo partes que se me hicieron un poco pesadas. Y me faltó más protagonismo de ciri que de momento se ha convertido en mi personaje favorito. Pero quitando eso es un libro que me ha entretenido aunque tenía las expectativas algo altas. ( )
  airun95 | Mar 18, 2020 |
I didn't really like it all that much. Geralt was featured in maybe 10 pages only, and in those he was largely useless. Ciri makes for an interesting heroine, and that is the books only saving grace. ( )
  hyper7 | Feb 12, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through these fields of destruction
Baptism of Fire
I've watched all your suffering
As the battles raged higher
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms...

Dire Straits
Entonces le dijo la profetisa al brujo: Este consejo te doy: ponte botas de yerro, toma en la mano un bastón de yerro.
Los arbustos reventaban de pájaros.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,908,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible