dismiss

The Sword of Destiny (1992)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Series: The Witcher (2)

"Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent."--

English (28)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (35)
Sensitive mutant
witcher pining for his witch
scorning destiny. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Really solid. Not as good as the first collection, but still very good. ( )
  3j0hn | Jun 17, 2020 |
Different to the first book, this one written in sequential short stories. Some will be familiar to those who’ve watched the series. We get to know more of Geralt in this, see more glimpses into how he’s not without feeling. I’m not sure the classic fairy tale references quite work for me but there’s enough in these pages to form the world of The Witcher in one’s mind. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jun 12, 2020 |
An incredibly moving exploration of Geralt's character

Sword of Destiny's collection of short stories build up a surprising story with two central themes, those of destiny and of humanity. Geralt is a man haunted by society's views on witchers. People expect him to have no feelings and he himself believes this to be a reality. This leads to a stormy romance with the sorceress Yennefer. But it is the introduction to Ciri that really makes the book shine. For a man with no feelings he sure shows emotion to a level that caises a 30 year old man's eyes tear up.... No! I'm not crying!!! You're crying!!!

Phenomenal storytelling. Deep character development. Raw emotion.

10/10 ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |
Okay, so I've arrived very late to the Witcher party. I feel like I really ought to be embarrassed or something, too, but I've decided just to roll with it.

I... might have become a fanboy.

I mean, shoot, I've got Cavill in my head as the penultimate Geralt. Yennifer is someone I think I'll always love. I've got that whole season stuck in my head, and reading these two collections preceding the first official novel has made something very clear to me.

The first season IS these to books.

Maybe not a few of the stories, or nowhere near this form, and a couple really deepen the connection between Geralt and Yennifer, and the whole cycle in the tv show that gives us a close look at Yennifer but it doesn't show in these two books... but ASIDE from that, I loved meeting the dragon, getting the Destiny setup from new angles, and, let's face it... I LOVED the story about the mermaid and hope to hell we get that in the next season. :)

Did I mention that I'm fanboying?

I'm having so much fun with these. Now let me be clear about one thing. The fantasy element is well done but not wholly original. The characters are rife with riffs in mythology in general and the interactions are easily familiar and fun for anyone who enjoys fantasy in general.

What makes this special is the sheer force of personality, of characterization, of the FEELS. And let's not forget the fun. I'm having SO much fun. :)

I guess it's not that much of a surprise that the series is still growing in popularity. I barely even knew about the books until after the games started taking off, and I still haven't played the games yet. For shame, right?

I'm still happy. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenny, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
- No va a salir de ahí, os digo - habló el caracañado, moviendo la cabeza con convicción-.
La moribunda oveja, debilitada e hinchada, apuntando al cielo con las patas rígidas, se removió.
- ¡Sucio gorrino! ¡Soplagaitas sin talento! ¡Embaucador!
La sirena sacó la mitad del cuerpo del agua y golpeó violentamente la superficie con sus manos.
Halló el primer cadáver hacia el mediodía.
Contains 6 short stories

Geralt de Riv n’en a pas fini avec sa vie errante de tueur de monstres. Fidèle aux règles de la corporation maudite des sorceleurs, Geralt assume sa mission sans faillir dans un monde hostile et corrompu qui ne laisse aucune place à l’espoir. Mais la rencontre avec la petite Ciri, l’Enfant élue, va donner un sens nouveau à l’existence de ce héros solitaire. Geralt cessera-t-il enfin de fuir devant la mort pour affronter la providence et percer à jour son véritable destin ?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,923,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible