Midnight Angel by Lisa Kleypas

Midnight Angel

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Stokehursts (1)

English (16)  Czech (1)  All (17)
Escaping prison for a crime she may or may not have committed but unsure due to amnesia, the heroine flees her native Russia to her cousin living in London. There, she is thrust upon the family friend who has need of a governess for his teenage daughter. The hero is much displeased with the arrangement and vows to send the attractive but dangerous woman on her way as soon as she is deemed unfit. Unfortunately, the heroine takes to the young girl and all of those around her especially the hero himself. A widow still grieving the death of his wife and the lose of a hand in the fire that took her, he's torn between his wife's memory and the beautiful young girl who's captured his attention as no other woman has. At first he is mean and harsh and altogether unwelcoming. He does and says things to hurt her but immediately feels guilty for it. He does it to push her away; to distance himself from her but no to avail. I loved the fact that though he is an amputee, he never dwells on the loss. He's not the brooding tortured figure and at times I forgot he was evening miss a hand because it was never a big deal to the characters or the story. The heroine is waif of a girl, petite fair skinned and possessing some paranormal psychic abilities. She lives in constant fear that the brother of the man she's convicted of killing will find her so she hides who she is, living as a lowly governess when in fact she is royalty and is used to silk and pearls. But she is kindhearted to a fault, a saint to those around her but innocent is the ways of men and horribly prudish at first and skittish around the hero. He is defiantly aggressive. He pushes her away one moment but draws her in the next. He is possessive and defiantly has a darker side to those who cross him. But he's loyal and will absolutely anything for those he loves. I really liked this book. It had a lot of heart and my goodness the hero's daughter was a riot. She's bold and sassy and funny and there is a hint that she will get her own book with the villain has the hero. That's another thing I loved about this story, the whole book is spent with the cousin being this boogeyman who's relentlessly pursuing the heroine but in the end, he's a victim as well. He isn't cruel or anything like the heroine feared him to be and I can't wait to see if he's in the next book. I found this book to have quite a lot of sex scenes, I would venture to say maybe too much. And the characters were in love by half way through the book. I prefer to have the anticipation of will they won't they drawn out a bit further, it adds to the tension. But I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This author is a new favorite- defiantly. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
The book starts out promising but after the first third or so I found my mind wandering, bordering on being bored. The action in the last part was too little and too late, and the situation was resolved far too fast and easy. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
i must say lord Stokehurst ANNOYED me. I was like Alicia- he was supposed to be safe, a haven, a protector not an arrogant bully who pouts when he doesn't get what he wants. I know in romances they fall in love in a day but i just didn't trust him. the fact he kept being his arrogant self after they were married but then would later apologize made it believable but..eh i still didn't trust him or like him.

oh and the age difference kinda made me squirm but only when he was trying to seduce her and she was clearly saying no and pushing him back and he wasn't budging. no rape but it still made me squirm.

i shall read the next in the series and see if the man is just as annoying or squirm inducing. if so i will give up on Lisa Kleypas. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Paolomo, Ana Isabel DomínguezTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jenifer Gold, a wonderful friend! Thanks for the visit to Russia.
"They say you're a witch."

Back cover:

Lord Lucas Stokehurst is captivated by the gentle grace and regal beauty of "Miss Karen Billings," who appeared seemingly out of nowhere and now stands demurely before him. Enchanted, the gallant, haunted widower impetuously offers her a position as governess to his young daughter, taking the lady of mystery into his home.

But "Miss Billings" has another name, Anastasia, and a dark past that pursues her still. Condemned for a crime she cannot remember, she barely escaped the gallows. And now she seeks shelter in the arms of a man devastated by tragedy, a man who must now defy society and the forces of vengeance to keep his lady safe and their bold new love alive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380773538, Mass Market Paperback)

A noblewoman of frail beauty and exotic mystery fakes her own death to escape the gallows. And now she must flee. In disguise and under a false identity, she finds unexpected sanctuary in the arms of a handsome and arrogant yet gallant British lord—who must defy society to keep her safe . . . and overcome a tragic past to claim her as his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:49 -0400)

A noblewoman of frail beauty and exotic mystery fakes her own death to escape the gallows. And now she must flee. In disguise and under a false identity, she finds unexpected sanctuary in the arms of a handsome and arrogant yet gallant British lord--who must defy society to keep her safe ... and overcome a tragic past to claim her as his own.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible