Mischief by Amanda Quick

Mischief (1996)

by Amanda Quick

Recently added byCorinasQuill, danaydelgado, Bnickle

This is another of Amanda Quick's fairly formulaic Regency (assumption - it's not stated) romances. Matthias, Lord Colchester, is a Regency version of Lord Caernarvon - interested in discovering the secrets of a lost civilisation, so rolls up his sleeves and in the company of Rutledge, discovers said civilisation. The lost island is entirely made up, Zamar being sort of a rich, exotic, island. It has two chief gods, a Lady god of the day and the male god of the night. And, in case we hadn't got the point, the lady and gentleman in question are frequently linked to their respective god by analogy. It all gets rather tedious.
That's not to say that, as a romance, it isn't a good fun read - it's the packing that is mildly annoyiong. Everything has to be linked to a Zamarian something or other (even his methods of lovemaking).
The two leads are amusing enough, Imogen is a bluestocking with little in the way of social graces and a ruined reputation, Matthias has a reputation for being cold-blooded and with no scruples. As ever, not exactly the case and the sparring between them is fun to read. There's the requisite amount of peril and some hairbrained scheme to uncover a murder that's 3 years old, but it all ties up neatly in to a fun, frivolous but faintly annoying parcel. ( )
  Helenliz | Feb 16, 2014 |
Hmmmm, let me see how many times I can repeat the word Zamar? Oh just about a million times according to Amanda Quick. Other than that I liked the characters and the story itself. ( )
1 vote Jaguar897 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Imogen Waterstone needed a man, and not just any man: one with an implacable will and nerves of iron. That's why she invited Matthias Marshall, the Earl of Colchester, to her home. For who better than the legendary explorer to help her lure a ruthless enemy to ruin. Yet when Imogen urges Matthias to masquerade as her spellbound suitor -- and let it be known that she possesses a priceless treasure map -- she never anticipates his electrifying response -- or her own. Suddenly, the unconventional lady is in the thrall of true passion... and vulnerable to a malevolent threat that emerges from the labyrinth of London society. ( )
  amarynt | Jul 28, 2010 |
This is my first romance novel. I remember it fondly - I read it back, maybe six years ago, and had to read it all over again. I always associated romance with Harlequin and that stuff my mother would tell me as a kid, "You can read anything you want, just not in that section until you're older." Looking back, I'm surprised I listened...

Regardless, the book itself I enjoyed immensely. It circles around "Immodest" Imogen Waterstone and "Cold-Blooded" Colchester. Imogen is on a hunt for the real reason her good friend died, and what better way than to enter society again? After all, that's where all the Lords and Ladies are normally.

So she comes up with this fantastic way of asking Colchester to help, based on a debt he owed to her Uncle...which her Uncle left to Imogen in his will. He'll pretend to pursue her because she supposedly owns the map to an ancient Zamarian (yes, made up) artifact that they're both interested in, being lovers of that ancient culture. It helps bind them together throughout the four hundred or so pages.

I think the part that made me like the novel so much more is the fact that during this conversation, Imogen gets it into her head that "Cold-Blooded" Colchester suffers from weak nerves. The way the author plays on that throughout the rest of the novel is good for some laughter.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this. The characters made me smile, the situations were just ridiculous at some points (in a good way), and there's even a touch of mystery in it to keep me guessing. Would (and have) read it again anytime. ( )
  SlySionnach | May 21, 2010 |

Lavedan, DeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tröger, EmilComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varga, Mónikasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wadsworth, AndrewCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my editor, Beth de Guzman, with thanks and appreciation.
The weak flame of the candle made little impact on the flood of darkness that filled the interior of the deserted mansion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553571907, Paperback)

Innocent but intrepid Imogen Waterstone enlists the aid of the fearsome Earl of Colchester in her dangerous pursuit of justice and revenge. Unable to resist the challenge posed by the unconventional beauty, Matthias Marshall finds himself on the trail of a killer and long-lost treasure, but discovers love along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:50 -0400)

A strong-willed woman enlists the help of an earl to avenge the murder of a friend, becoming attracted to the earl in the process.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible