Night Shield (Silhouette Intimate Moments,…

Night Shield (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1027) (edition 2000)

by Nora Roberts

Member:libraryladyanne
Title:Night Shield (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #1027)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Silhouette (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 250 pages

Night Shield by Nora Roberts

Predictable romantic thriller. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 18, 2018 |
Jonah Blackhawk is a former juvenile delinquent whose life got on the right track with the help of Boyd Fletcher, the man who eventually became Denver’s police commissioner. He loves Boyd like a father and feels like he owes him a debt he’ll never be able to repay, which is why he agrees to Boyd’s latest request: work with the investigating team looking into a string of robberies committed by people who seem to be using Jonah’s clubs to scope out their victims. Specifically, he’d like Jonah to allow the detective in charge to work undercover at his newest place.

What Boyd doesn’t immediately mention is that the detective in charge is Ally Fletcher, his daughter. There’s an immediate spark between the two of them, but Ally’s a professional and Jonah isn’t really a fan of cops (other than Boyd) and secretly feels that his past makes him unworthy of someone like Boyd’s daughter. Still, Ally’s undercover work puts her and Jonah in frequent contact, and it isn’t long before Jonah’s employees put two and two together and decide they must be dating.

Funny story: I bought this book thinking it was Night Shadow, the one with the hero who’s a superhero. I didn’t realize my mistake until much later, even after reading the description on the back. I still need to track that book down.

Every time I read a Nora Roberts book with a cop heroine I find myself looking for hints of her In Death series. I could see some of that here, in the way Jonah and Ally interacted, but there were a lot of differences too.

Ally had a good childhood and a huge and happy family. If she wasn’t wealthy she was at least really well off. As a result, although parts of the way she lived her life reminded me of Eve Dallas, she tended to be a lot better at self-care and letting Jonah help her. She also didn’t seem to have nearly as much of a chip on her shoulder where Jonah was concerned. Jonah, meanwhile, has a lot of Roarke’s confidence and arrogance, but also moments of insecurity. Whereas it was Roarke who primarily pursued Eve at first, here Jonah started things off but then Ally had to do more of the pursuing, because Jonah didn’t feel he should date or sleep with Boyd’s daughter.

Although I enjoyed the romance overall, things progressed a little quickly for my tastes. I snickered a bit when Jonah said he liked Ally for more than just her looks. He barely knew her! And I laughed when Jonah lamented that it was “over for him” - apparently just sleeping with Ally was enough to push Jonah past being attracted to Ally and straight to being head over heels in love with her. The bit where Jonah met Ally’s family was cute, though.

One thing that bothered me: both characters did things that might be considered sexual assault. The reader knew that both of them were saying “no” when they really wanted to say “yes,” but it wasn’t like the characters themselves were mind readers. Jonah kissed Ally right after she told him to back off. “He felt her body jerk against his. Protest or invitation, he didn’t care.” (74) Yeah, he should care. And later Ally came onto him strong and licked the side of his neck while he kept trying to turn her down. Both scenes were relatively mild - the second one, for sure, was probably supposed to be sexy, with the heroine taking charge - but I still found myself wishing they’d been written differently or removed.

The suspense aspect wasn’t very good, little more than a device to put Ally and Jonah in close contact long enough for them to fall in love.

All in all, this was okay. Not great, but not bad either. My favorite aspects were the way Ally’s family interacted and Boyd’s fatherly discussion with Jonah (so sweet!). Best line: "Don't grin at me when I'm having a paternal crisis." (170)

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 20, 2017 |
Club owner, Jonah Blackhawk, is asked by an old (cop) friend, Boyd Fletcher, to help him out. There has been a series of burglaries in the area, and most of them had a connection to Jonah's club. Jonah agrees to help since he really owes Boyd a favor. After Jonah got busted by the police when he was young, cop Boyd helped Jonah straighten his life out.

Jonah then meets one of the cops assigned to the case, Boyd's daughter, Allison. She is to work in Jonah's club, undercover, as a waitress. As time goes by, Jonah and Allison are attracted to each other as they try to figure out who is responsible for the burglaries.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Jonah and Allison, they made a good couple. Allison had a jealous ex-boyfriend who kept showing up--at the club, at her home, who added some extra suspense to the story. I liked the club setting and the people who worked at the club. I felt bad for Allison when, for the first time, she had to shoot and kill someone in self-defense. She was pretty broken up over this. Jonah was kind to her and helped her through the night. I enjoyed Jonah and Allison's banter, and they had great chemistry. This was an enjoyable, exciting, and fast-paced read. ( )
  SandraLynne | Jan 19, 2016 |
A GREAT READ. I READ THIS IN A DAY. IF YOU LIKE MYSTERY WITH A LITTLE ROMANCE THEN GIVE THIS BOOK A TRY.
  erha1990 | Aug 24, 2009 |
I'm not a big fan of the Harlequin books, but bought this one due to Nora Roberts. I thought it was good. Nice and romantic, along with a murder or two, which is a great mix for a good book. ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 13, 2006 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sarhan Assy, ElíasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

NOT TO BE TRUSTED?
Even though he agreed to protect her cover — even though her own dad vouched for him — Allison Fletcher refused to be seduced by Jonah Blackhawk's smooth charm and good looks. She was too much of a cop to fall for a shady character like Jonah...even if her pulse did race at his touch.
... EVEN BY HIMSELF?
If only she didn't have eyes like prime whiskey and a smile that melted his insides. If only she weren't Boyd Fletcher's daughter. Jonah had never cared much for cops — until now. But Ally was definitely off-limits to a guy like him. If only he could stop wanting her...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0373270976, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Contemporary United States Sensuality: 7

Successful businessman Jonah Blackhawk owns a string of popular nightclubs. He knows that he wouldn't have survived his childhood spent on city streets without the intervention of Boyd Fletcher, the cop who refused to give up on him. When Boyd asks for Jonah's help in solving a series of high-ticket burglaries, Jonah can't refuse. What Jonah isn't prepared for is the detective assigned to the case. Strong-willed, blond, and beautiful, Detective Allison Fletcher is Boyd's daughter--she's also the woman who just might shatter Jonah's determination to remain heart-whole and single.

Undercover at the nightclub, Allison works closely with Jonah and it isn't long before the chemistry between them explodes. Given his past and the fact that she is Boyd's daughter, Jonah is convinced that he should leave her alone. But Allison has other plans--ones that propinquity and mutual passion are likely to bring to fruition if she and Jonah can only stay alive.

Nora Roberts skillfully blends hot romance with an intriguing and suspenseful plot, tosses in a group of interesting secondary characters for flavor, and delivers a novel that packs a lot of story into a small package. Her novels regularly hit the bestseller lists and Night Shield, the latest installment in the Night Tales series for Silhouette, is a sure bet for success on any list.--Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Despite her father's own recommendation, police officer Allison Fletcher refuses to be drawn by the handsome, charming, but possibly shady Jonah Blackhawk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible