Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth

Call the Midwife (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Jennifer Worth

1,192926,725 (4.12)1 / 201
Member:MmeRose
Title:Call the Midwife
Authors:Jennifer Worth
Info:Soundings Ltd (2006), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Collections:Non-fiction (Other)
Rating:***

Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (2002)

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    White City by Donald James Wheal (bergs47)
    Arms Wide Open: A Midwife's Journey by Patricia Harman (cransell)

English (91)  Spanish (1)  All languages (92)
Heartbreaking but compulsively readable. This memoir is a wonderful example of how horrible circumstances can be related in a compassionate way. So very good - looking forward to reading the following books. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
This was a fascinating glimpse into the life of a midwife in the poor section of London, in the 50's. Very nice, though I don't think I'll read more. Not that it wasn't good, it's just that I feel I have a good flavor for the times and experiences of the people. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
The power of this story is that it takes you to another world than our modern day, first world lives. A world where mothers have eight children and that's not really a large family. A world where fathers slap mothers around, and their children, too, if they wish. A world where young children just wear shirts and go where they will. A world where a mother can defy a doctor and refuse to go with her 1 1/2 pound premie baby to the hospital. And it wasn't that long ago. ( )
  debnance | Aug 13, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book - it was a tremendous memoir. I loved the characters (the actors in the TV series were very well matched). I loved reading about the history of the convent and the sisters and about the East End of London in the 1950s. My dad was born in Stepney so must have lived in these atrocious conditions. My heart goes out to all of those poor women who had to live in such abject poverty.

Back Cover Blurb:
At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in post war London's East End slums. The colourful characters she meets while delivering bables all over the East End of London - from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lives, to the woman with twenty-four children who can't speak English, to the prositutes and dockers of the city's seedier side - illuminates a fascinating time in history. Beautifully written and utterly moving, Call the Midwife will touch the hearts of anyone who is, and everyone who has, a mother. ( )
  mazda502001 | Aug 3, 2016 |
The show follows the plot of the book, fairly closely which is to be expected. However the book contains a wealth of beautiful detail that never quite made it into the show. This book is a wonderful snap shot of a place and time I really didn't know much about. ( )
  Shadowling | Jun 6, 2016 |

Jennifer Worthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coates, TerryEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barber, NicolaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, StephanieReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Philip, my dear husband.
The history of 'Mary' is also dedicated to the memory of Father Joseph Williamson and Daphne Jones.
Nonnatus House was situated in the heart of the London Docklands.

At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in postwar London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies...from the plucky warmhearted nuns with whom she lives, to the woman with twenty-four children, to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side..illuminate a fascinating time in history.

Jennifer Worth was just twenty-two when she volunteered to spend her early years of midwifery training in London's East End in the 1950s. Coming from a sheltered background there were tough lessons to be learned. The conditions in which many women gave birth just half a century ago were horrifying.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,229,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible