How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised…

How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000…

by Mark Bittman

Excellent cookbook. Lots of info in here. Worth a spot on anybody's cookbook shelf (shelves). ( )
  lesmel | Apr 11, 2013 |
I'm kind of mad at Mark Bittman. This is the cookbook I wanted to write. Now I guess I don't have to.

Rave recipe: Baked Ziti with Ricotta--a surefire family pleaser. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 14, 2012 |
I enjoyed quickly reading through this library book, but I didn't try any of the recipes. I was comparing this to a library copy of Joy of Cooking (75th anniversary edition). How to Cook Everything seems to have much fewer recipes but endless ways to do each one. The recipes do look very simple, but it also seems a little boring to me. Quite a few people on other websites complained about a lot of bad recipes and some errors. I found some errors myself despite my cursory review of the book. For example, on the section called "My Top 100 Fast recipes," it listed the wrong page number for a recipe I was interested in. I also found a wrong page number in the index, so I lost confidence in the book.

I finally made my decision, and that is to buy two copies of the Joy of Cooking, one for myself and one for my daughter-in-law, a newlywed. The recipes just look a lot more interesting/tasty, and people on the many review postings only had good things to say about the recipes. ( )
  itbgc | Dec 4, 2011 |
I am a person who gives books as presents. It's fortunate that my son loves reading as much as everyone else in my family because he's gotten many books as presents over the years. When he was here to see me this summer he expressed an interest in some cookbooks. He's living in a dorm that is set up like an apartment so cooking is a new necessity. I gave me the copy of The Joy of Cooking that my father gave me (this was probably the second or third copy - for awhile there I tended to walk away from various kinds of things, books included). For his birthday, I got him a copy of How to Cook Everything - 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman. I got myself a copy, too, since I'd heard a lot about it, but hadn't had it. Other than Joy of Cooking my family's idea of basic cookbooks was La Gastronomique and The Art of French Cooking - both wonderful and basic in their own ways, but not basic in their recipe writing.

This is a really cool cookbook. I've been working my way through it while watching junk television this Thanksgiving weekend and I'm really impressed with how it puts everything together because, honestly, if you know the cooking techniques and you know the basics of sauces, you can make anything. Cooking is full of endless variations and I really like how he explicates this. ( )
  kraaivrouw | Nov 27, 2011 |
I use this cookbook several times a week. It is truly a "desert island cookbook," and if I had to choose only one cooking reference to use for the rest of my life (this includes the Internet), this book would be it.

I admire Bittman's emphasis on simple cooking and his encouragement to make as much of your own food as possible. (It's healthier, gives you more control over what you are eating, tastes MUCH better, and does not take all that much more time to do.) Since buying this book I've slowly began cooking more and more of my recipes from scratch, and have been amazed at how easy it is. Not to mention how much better everything tastes! I have a harder time eating processed foods with enjoyment after using these recipes.

The best part about the cookbook is the set-up. Very basic recipes are provided; you can build upon with suggested variations/additions that follow the basic recipe. (So for instance, the recipe for pancakes is followed by a chart with instructions on how to substitute or add a dozen variations, including buttermilk/yogurt/sour cream in place of milk, the addition of bananas or blueberries, using cottage cheese...).

In short, it teaches the kind of improvisation that professional cooks have internalized, and is a great way to learn how to master the basics of any recipe. I can't recommend this cookbook highly enough. ( )
  AgentJade | Mar 22, 2010 |
This revised 10th anniversary edition contains recipes and information that is significantly different from the original edition.  Please do not combine with the original publication.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0764578650, Hardcover)

Today's favorite kitchen companion—revised and better than ever.

Mark Bittman's award-winning How to Cook Everything has helped countless home cooks discover the rewards of simple cooking. Now the ultimate cookbook has been revised and expanded (almost half the material is new), making it absolutely indispensable for anyone who cooks—or wants to. With Bittman's straightforward instructions and advice, you'll make crowd-pleasing food using fresh, natural ingredients; simple techniques; and basic equipment. Even better, you'll discover how to relax and enjoy yourself in the kitchen as you prepare delicious meals for every occasion.

"A week doesn't go by where I don't pull How to Cook Everything down from the shelf, so I am thrilled there's a new, revised edition. My original is falling apart!"
Al Roker

"This new generation of How to Cook Everything makes my 'desert island' cookbook choice jacked up and simply universal. I'll now bequeath my cookbooks to a collector; I need only this one."
Mario Batali

"Mark Bittman has done the impossible, improving upon his now-classic How to Cook Everything. If you need know-how, here's where to find it."
Bobby Flay

"Mark Bittman is a great cook and an incredible teacher. In this second edition, Mark has fine-tuned the original, making this book a must for every kitchen."
Jean-Georges Vongerichten

"Throw away all your old recipes and buy How to Cook Everything. Mark Bittman's recipes are foolproof, easy, and more modern than any others."
Isaac Mizrahi

"Generous, thorough, reliable, and necessary, How to Cook Everything is an indispensable reference for both experienced and beginner cooks."
Mollie Katzen, author of the Moosewood Cookbook

"I learned how to cook from How to Cook Everything in a way that gives me the freedom to be creative. This new edition will be my gift to new couples or for a housewarming; if you have this book, you don't really need any others."
Lisa Loeb, singer/songwriter

Exclusive Recipe Excerpts from How to Cook Everything

• Grilled or Broiled Chicken Kebabs

• Roasted Shrimp with Herb Sauce

• Warm Spicy Greens with Bacon and Eggs

• Author Tip: 7 Ways to Vary Chicken Kebabs [PDF]

10 Reasons You Need the New How to Cook Everything (even if you already have the original)

1. The 2000+ simple recipes will make cooking at home easier, so you can spend less and eat better.

2. With 1,446 new recipes and variations such as Beer-and-Butter Chicken Wings, Roasted Corn Chowder, BLT Salad, Paella with Chicken and Chorizo, Caramelized French Toast, and Popcorn Brittle, this book provides a whole new array of recipes.

3. The many new techniques covered in this edition will help you to expand your repertoire of kitchen skills to include frosting a cake, grinding your own chili powder, or even de-boning a quail.

4. Your husband, wife, brother, sister, son, daughter, or best friend needs a little help in the kitchen (okay, maybe a lot). The new How to Cook Everything contains more expert advice like “12 Must-Have Kitchen Tools,” “Super-Easy 3-Ingredient Soups,” and “The Basics of Cutting.”

5. You trust Bittman’s no-nonsense opinions and can’t wait to read the thousands of new ones packed into this edition. He’ll even help you to select the best inexpensive fish (ex. mackerel is versatile, tasty, healthy, and plentiful; tilapia can taste kinda muddy).

6. The index of “Essential Recipes” points you to Bittman’s favorite dishes in each chapter, so there’s less reason to be intimidated by all those recipes.

7. There are more helpful lists in the new How to Cook Everything than ever before. Bittman shows how to jack up the basics with easy ideas like “4 Ways to Thicken a Sauce”, and “Infinite Ways to Season or Serve Any Grilled or Broiled Chicken Dish.”

8. With this edition’s brand new charts, it’s absurdly easy to look up the cooking times for grains, heat factor for chiles, and other need-to-know information about everything from herbs and spices to flour and noodles.

9. You know it’s cheap, easy, and fast to serve your family boneless chicken breasts every week, but sometimes you run out of ideas. That’s why you really need all the new recipes, variations, and other suggestions for chicken breasts like “11 More Ways to Vary Grilled or Broiled Boneless Chicken.”

10. There are plenty of new illustrations which incorporate more detail than many photos. They’ll show you how to use a pastry bag, how to eat crabs, and even how to puree soup using an immersion blender (it’s is way less messy than a regular blender).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,390,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible