Rebellion (The Macgregors) by Nora Roberts

Rebellion (The Macgregors) (edition 2006)

by Nora Roberts

Member:sexyvamp
Title:Rebellion (The Macgregors)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Silhouette (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Rebellion by Nora Roberts (Author)

I thought I had finished the MacGregor series and this book came out of the fold, ready to be the last one read, though completely out of order.

The story takes place in the 1700s, introducing ancestors of the MacGregors, mainly Serena MacGregor and her beau-to-be Brigham Langston. In a stark contrast to Serena's nephew Ian's love story, this one actually has potential as it starts out with enough backstory to give Serena and other secondary characters proper foundation.

As usual with the MacGregors, and I suppose a lot of NR characters, the character flaws were a bit frustrating to deal with, though I actually thought Roberts managed to write a compelling story for the time period.

The ending naturally left me wanting more, though I think I'm ready to move on to another series now. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
It is obvious that it is one of Nora Roberts' earlier books. Good voice, but clearly an '80s book. I did not like Serena. I also didn't like the way she was arguing with Brigham all the time - she came across as immature and selfish - plus that all of a sudden they are 'in love' and everything falls flat. The story goes on to tell of the preparations for war, the war, the aftermath; no character/relationship development, no romance in the last 1/5th or so. IMO one of the lesser NRs. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
An AReCafe Top Pick!

This was one of my favorite books in a while. I love dystopian novels and there aren’t enough m/m books in that genre to keep me satisfied. In the Colony, people are assigned an ‘Other’ at birth. The two are always together and are expected to marry and then start a family. Everyone takes pills which keep them safe and controlled… then, one day, Aine accidentally drops one of his pills and dreams for the first time. What he dreams isn’t normal. It’s not of his Other. It’s of his best friend.

Kyer and Aine are adorable together and watching them attempt to break free, first of the pills and then of the Colony, was fun and had me rooting for them across the pages. At it’s front that’s all it is, a dystopian m/m young adult romance, but then below the surface we see Aine struggling to find himself amid the drugs and pills. Aine and the Overseer also have a very complex and intense relationship. Seeing the “man behind the curtain” revealed ugly truths to Aine, but the Overseer really isn’t an enemy. The only problem I had was how they told their Others about their love. I was hoping it wouldn’t be so stereotypical, but it still worked. The second book is Revolution and is on my To Buy list. I hope J. Thomas keeps writing the Colony series.

~ Bitten by Books for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
Typical contemporary romance from Nora Roberts. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
Rebellion by Nora Roberts is part of the MacGregor series. I understand that one can read this series one of two ways. By the timeline of in the order the books were published. I was advised to read the series by the timeline. So, I started here with Rebellion.
We start off in 1700's Scotland. A Rebellion is brewing. Lord Brigham an English Lord (Earl) makes an alliance with Coll MacGregor. They travel to Scotland where Lord Brigham meets Coll's hot tempered sister, Serena.
Serena hates the English for a pretty good reason. So, she hates how attracted she is to the English Earl. She fights the attraction to the point of misery. Brigham doesn't play fair of course.
There is much more to this story than the romance. The Rebellion is brutal, and the war/battle scenes are a big part of the story as well. However, for me personally, I felt like that part took too much space in the book. I do read many historical romances and war is usually a backdrop. Scotland, England, and France in war or civil war or something, so I can understand some battle scenes, but I hate war and battle so I was ready for that part to be over. But, it was necessary in a way because we needed to know how Brig and Serena came to leave their homeland.
I loved Serena's attitude, even her temper which was hilarious at times. I was picturing the proper English Lord dealing with her . There was much laughter, but also many tears and hard times.
I am looking forward to following this family into the present day. ( )
  gpangel | Oct 12, 2012 |

Roberts, NoraAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joaquim, ZildaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salamanca Garay, RocíoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story is told for the MacGregor's, all who came before, all who come after.
They came at dusk, when the villagers were at their evening meal, and the peat fires sent smoke curling from the chimneys into the chill of the November air.

Highland beauty, MacGregor prode....

Scotland, 1745. Against the bloody background of the Battle of Culloden, another war was waged and won--the price was honor, the victory, love.

A flash of petticoats, a banner of red-gold hair--one look at Serena MacGregor and Brigham Langston was captivated. But thought she had the face of an angel, this Scots lass was a wildcat, spurning his advances with a rapier-sharp tongue. He was English, so she despised him.

Scottish beauty Serena MacGregor's hatred of all English began as a child when she watched as a band of Englishmen attacked her mother. Her brother's friend Brigham Langston was no exception to Serena's loathing--despite his supposed loyalty to the Scottish cause… and his good looks. But disgust wasn't all Serena felt, for Brigham was as handsome as the devil, tempting as sin. In his arms she melted with the heat of their passion.

Although Brigham eventually proves himself worthy of the MacGregor family's respect, Serena is still reluctant to abandon her hatred for him and his heritage. But Brigham has other plans. Serena has captivated him with her beauty, her passion for life and commitment to her beliefs--and he refuses to let her antagonistic attitude keep him from winning her. And Serena must learn to open her mind--as Brigham opens his heart--to see the true love awaiting her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373285434, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

Despite the enmity between their two countries, Brigham Langston, a handsome English lord, finds himself drawn to the beautiful Serena MacGregor, a hot-tempered Scot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,451,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible