The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A…

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (2002)

by Patrick Lencioni

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
I am never sure when I read a leadership book that is more story than to-dos. Lencioni did a good job of weaving the scenario to describe the 5 dysfunctions: absence of trust, fear of conflict, lack of commitment, avoidance of accountability and inattention to results. Visualizing personally and professionally and relating to the characters in the story was helpful. ( )
  Kathy_Dyer | Jul 27, 2015 |
This book imparts valuable lessons on teamwork in the manner of a fable. I find this method of parlaying business lessons to be quite effective. The fable itself holds your interest, and the distillation at the end is just short enough to continue holding it through the end. I do, think, however, that the fable itself could stand on its own, and the lessons in the coda could be inferred. I'd be more entertained and just as informed.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
This Leadership Fable is really very good. I read it on a single plane travel, but it created a lasting impact on me nevertheless. It really very simply and gently provides you with insights in teamwork applicable in your work and personal life.

The structure of a fable (95% of the book) and the theory and exercises behind the model (5% of the book) seemed a bit strange to me at first, but it does work really well.

I truly believe that not finance, not strategy, not technology, but teamwork is the ultimate competitive advantage, both because it is so powerful and so rare. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
I read this for a book club at work, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lencioni describes how teams fail and what they must do to succeed. Rather than a cut-and-dry non-fiction version, Lencioni writes in the 3rd person narrative, fictionalizing the people and organization in order to drive his points home. The fictionalization made the book easy to read and follow. ( )
  06nwingert | Jun 7, 2014 |
This is my favourite book on leadership. ( )
  jantzens | Apr 7, 2014 |
To Dad, for teaching me the value of work.

And to Mom, for encouraging me to write.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0787960756, Hardcover)

Once again using an astutely written fictional tale to unambiguously but painlessly deliver some hard truths about critical business procedures, Patrick Lencioni targets group behavior in the final entry of his trilogy of corporate fables. And like those preceding it, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team is an entertaining, quick read filled with useful information that will prove easy to digest and implement. This time, Lencioni weaves his lessons around the story of a troubled Silicon Valley firm and its unexpected choice for a new CEO: an old-school manager who had retired from a traditional manufacturing company two years earlier at age 55. Showing exactly how existing personnel failed to function as a unit, and precisely how the new boss worked to reestablish that essential conduct, the book's first part colorfully illustrates the ways that teamwork can elude even the most dedicated individuals--and be restored by an insightful leader. A second part offers details on Lencioni's "five dysfunctions" (absence of trust, fear of conflict, lack of commitment, avoidance of accountability, and inattention to results), along with a questionnaire for readers to use in evaluating their own teams and specifics to help them understand and overcome these common shortcomings. Like the author's previous books, The Five Temptations of a CEO and Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive, this is highly recommended. --Howard Rothman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

After her first two weeks observing the problems at DecisionTech, Kathryn Petersen, its new CEO, had more than a few moments when she wondered if she should have taken the job. But Kathryn knew there was little chance she would have turned it down. After all, retirement had made her antsy, and nothing excited her more than a challenge. What she could not have known when she accepted the job, however, was just how dysfunctional her team was, and how team members would challenge her in ways that no one ever had before. In this book, the author turns his keen intellect and storytelling power to the fascinating, complex world of teams. Kathryn Petersen, DecisionTech's CEO, faces the ultimate leadership crisis: uniting a team that is in such disarray that it threatens to bring down the entire company. Will she succeed? Will she be fired? Will the company fail? The author's story serves as a timeless reminder that leadership requires as much courage as it does insight. Throughout the story, he reveals the five dysfunctions that go to the very heart of why teams, even the best ones, often struggle. He outlines a powerful model and actionable steps that can be used to overcome these common hurdles and build a cohesive, effective team.--Publisher information.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible