She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot

She Went All the Way

by Meg Cabot

I've got a confession to make. This is the first time I've sat down and read a Meg Cabot novel. I've got nearly all of her books. I've bought them, been excited to read them and then another author or book has come along and distracted me.

But don't worry, this happens to me a lot. I have a to read list that is close to reaching in the thousands. Still, this morning I was skipping through my kindle, I came across She Went All the Way, and thought, why the hell not?

Right from the first, I loved the sound of this novel. Screenwriter Louise Calabrese (and that's Calabrezou not Cala-breeze) and actor Jack Townsend find themselves thrust into the Alaskan Wilderness, when the Helicopter they're in, crashes in the middle of nowhere. In between the midst of gunfire and their mutual animosity, they have to find a way to outwit the bad guys and avoid killing each other.

She Went All the Way doesn't disappoint if you are looking for a light-hearted read that's action-packed. I'm not going to deny, halfway though the novel I knew who the bad guys were and who was behind the plot to kill Jack Townsend. It's pretty obvious, but this doesn't stop the novel from being amusing. The two main characters - Jack and Louise think they're polar opposites of each other. She's the bookworm who watched movies religiously and grew up surrounded by cops. She's had one serious relationship, which ended when her boyfriend of ten years is catapulted into stardom by a vehicle she wrote. He dumps her after to falling for the lead actress.
Whereas Jack is Mr Love em and Leave em -whose ex-girlfriends include Louise's friend, Vicki. He's a Hollywood actor, who does his own stunts and who, upstaged Louise in her first film vehicle by replacing her catch phrase with one of his own - making both the signature line and him very famous.

http://ninadangelo.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/book-review-meg-cabot-she-went-all-wa... ( )
  ninadangelo | May 12, 2013 |
quick easy read for older teen girls. some sexual content. handsome movie star and smart sassy writer get trapped in Alaska in the middle of a snowstorm after their helicopter goes down. oh, and someone's trying to kill them. and because it's a meg cabot book they full hopelessly in love. ( )
  RegionalRRockstars | Apr 29, 2013 |
I read this book quite a while ago and then bought it when it was released with the new trade paperback cover—it matches the size of all the other contemporary adult romance books Meg released around that time. What can I say? I own a LOT of Meg's books.

Anyway, since I never wrote a review:

The book is about a girl named Lou, who is a Hollywood screenwriter, and a guy named Jack, who is the star in the hit action movies (a series of 4) Lou has written... And they really don't get along very well, thanks to Jack changing a key line in the first movie.

At the beginning of the book, we find out that Lou's ex-boyfriend (Barry/Bruce) of 10 YEARS, who she only broke up with a few weeks previously, has eloped with Jack's ex-girlfriend (Greta), one in a LONG line of short-term romances. And the media's going crazy over it. So Lou's pretty broken up over that. Jack... not so much.

So now Lou and Jack are in Alaska, working on the 4th movie and they're thrown together a lot more than either of them would like... Except... well, maybe that isn't as bad a thing as either of them thinks at the beginning! ;)

Anyway, cute—although the romance is a bit... short. I mean, the whole book takes place over only about a week time period, so... *shrugs* But it's not as if they were strangers when the story begins, you know? They've known each other for 6 years at that point. They've just AVOIDED each other as much as possible over that time! ;)

Cute book... not as good as some of her others, but good! 3.5 stars. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
I didn’t pick up this book for the longest time, and after finally having read it, I can probably say that there was a good reason why I avoided it for the longest time.

I don’t hate the book. Unfortunately, I didn’t like all that much either. It’s another very bland romantic comedy, but unlike the Queen of Babble series (started off bland, but managed to subvert itself), She Went All the Way is really bland. I’m talking oatmeal here. There’s nothing interesting about this book at all. Lou and Jack are the standard, c&p’d rom com protagonists who hate each other, but after defying death in the Alaskan wilderness, they end up falling for each other! (Gasp. That is so original.) There’s even a prolonged scene where they happen to stumble upon a hunting cabin and have a steak dinner with fine wine. And then they have sex, because, it has to happen.

Nothing really happens in this book. There’s a whole kidnapping/murder plot involving Jack, but it doesn’t feel like these two characters’ lives are in danger, because the book’s more concerned with the UST then making the plot interesting. The only thing that kind of worked was that Meg Cabot’s tendency to shove as many pop culture references into one novel actually fits, as the characters all work in Hollywood—however, I was disappointed that she couldn’t make one film reference over thirty years old. (I mean, standard bickering love interests? We can’t get one It Happened One Night reference? Philadelphia Story? Classic Hollywood breathed this trope.) I also did like the fact that Lou gets her screenwriting break by writing action thrillers, but I would have really liked to have seen more of that side. Oh, and the whole Jack doesn’t commit to relationships, but he’s willing to marry Lou because she’s the only one he can see himself being with irked me. Really, I’d like to read a rom-com where marriage isn’t the only possible end for the characters.

Aside from the several irks throughout the book, I really didn’t feel much about it. It should be telling when I have to look at the page count to see how much further I have to slog through. But it was so unbelievably predictable—even the surprise of who was behind the murder plot felt shoehorned in and really didn’t have any effect on the overall plot. And I didn’t have fun reading it, a lot of the book was a chore just to get through. I don’t mind a predictable and clichéd book if it manages to be brain candy that I can indulge in, but I felt like no effort was even made while writing this. Really, the only reason I can say that I’ve read it is because I’m a obsessive completist.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Another great Meg Cabot book, the cute romances that are great and engaging. This was by far my favorite of her books, more because it is based around the movie industry. A story of a young screen writer who is helping the leading man in her newest movie survive the many attempts of assasination. One of the greatest things about the heroines in Meg Cabots books is that they are real people who are not perfect and suffer the same difficuties in life that we all do. A great feel good romance that all of her adult books are. ( )
  MeganB66 | Feb 1, 2011 |

There are a few places screenwriter Lou Calabrese would rather be than crammed into a helicopter with Jack Townsend, star of her claim to fame, Copkiller, and whose ex just ran off with Lou's ex. Talk about uncomfortable. But when, halfway out to the isolated arctic location where Copkiller IV is currently shooting, their pilot turns murderous and their helicopter crashes, Lou realizes her day has just gotten a lot worse.

Now, while family and friends back home fret over her disappearance, Lou is on the run in the arctic wilderness with America's sweetheart Jack Townsend and only the contents of her purse, his pockets, and their mutual knowledge of survival movie trivia to keep them alive. Can these two children of Hollywood put aside their differences and make it back home without killing each other? Or much, much worse, actually start to like one another?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:33 -0400)

Success hasn't spoiled screenwriter Lou Calabrese - it's just given her a taste of luxury. And it's put her in some bizarre situations - like in a helicopter en route to the wilds of Alaska, sharing too-close quarters with the last man she wants to be with: Jack Townsend! Once a sexy nobody whom Lou helped make a somebody, Jack's just been dumped by a high-profile Hollywood airhead - who's eloped with Lou's longtime love! So what else could go wrong?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,933,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible