AMERICAN THEOCRACY Unpacked: Arguments…

AMERICAN THEOCRACY Unpacked: Arguments Disassembled, Implications…

by W. Frederick Zimmerman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in the Early Reviewers program; I was pretty excited about being selected to get it. It took forever to get here. My interest had waned, and the immediacy of having read American Theocracy was lost to me. I looked at it; it did not engage me. Nevertheless it did not disqualify itself from ever being read.
  Mr.Durick | Jul 4, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In all honesty, I had a very hard time with American Theocracy Unpacked. Much of the text sounds like someone talking because they like the way they sound. Once I saw that Wikipedia was used as a source, the credibility of this book went out the window. While Wiki is a fine site, everything on it can be changed by anyone. So to use it as a source seems very dangerous to me.

If American Theocracy was really good for you, then you may like this. For more information and opinions if nothing else.
  battlinjack | Apr 1, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea of Nimble Books is good -- get "rebuttals" out in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, the book stalls. The writing seems amateurish, and the book reads more like a series of blog posts fisking the original work than a serious study of American Theocracy. I agree with Zimmerman's perspective, but think it could be done better. Look at Alastair McGrath's book The Dawkins Delusion if you want an example of a book written to refute another. ( )
  wkelly42 | Mar 6, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was excited by the concept of this book, but I was decidedly underwhelmed by the execution. I would only recommend this book if you’re doing a paper involving American Theocracy and need a counter-citation. ( )
  ferdinand1213 | Mar 5, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a very difficult time with this book. Sorry W.F. I ended up having to force myself to skim large portions of it. The Early Reviewer blurb says "For Christian and secular alike." This secular woman thinks not.

I can't think of a single person I could recommend this book to, in good conscience. ( )
4 vote clamairy | Jan 31, 2008 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

W. Frederick Zimmerman's book American Theocracy Unpacked was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W. Frederick Zimmerman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,864,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible