On Strike for Christmas by Sheila Roberts

On Strike for Christmas (edition 2007)

by Sheila Roberts (Author)

Member:JanArzooman
Title:On Strike for Christmas
Authors:Sheila Roberts (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), 352 pages

On Strike for Christmas by Sheila Roberts

English (10)  German (1)  All (11)
Funny and enjoyable, fast read.
Characters were easy to relate to and were very realistic and contemporary.
Nice ending and full of holiday spirit.
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
As some people do around the Christmas holidays, the women in this novel constantly bit off more than they could chew. Christmas cards had to be sent; pictures had to be developed to go into the cards; decorations had to go up (beautifully); food had to be prepared (perfectly); guests had to be invited … and on and on. The idea for the strike began right after Thanksgiving. Both Joy and Laura were exhausted after it was over and their husbands had not helped a lick. At their knitting club, they were talking about it and came up with the idea to go on strike for Christmas. If the husbands wanted Christmas in all its glory, they’d have to do it themselves.

Not all of the women were onboard with the plan. Carol’s only companion was her cat, George, named after George Clooney. She’d lost her son when he was sixteen and her husband of 35 years passed away two years before. “She replayed the conversation … in her head and sighed. Joy and Laura and the others – who would have pegged them for Grinchettes? All that complaining about their lives when they had their health and their families – it was like whining about inferior caviar while just outside your door people were starving.”

I can understand the point of the story but felt that the contrast between these women and Carol was a bit too stark. The women who virtually had everything were just whiny and unappreciative and I wasn’t in love with their attitude. The writing style is excellent and the story flows well. There was less character development than I’d hoped for by the end. Included in the back of the book, there are some wonderful recipes. There’s even a recipe for Figgy Pudding — ♪ ♫ “Oh, bring us some Figgy Pudding; Oh, bring us some Figgy Pudding …” ♫ ♪ Rating: 3 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jun 17, 2015 |
The title tells it all. Joy Robertson is tired of her mystery-writer husband being such a Grinch at Christmas. And her idea of going on strike – doing nothing for Christmas and letting hubby do it all – strikes a chord with her several – although not all – her knitting club friends. They decide to join her. When a newspaper reporter catches wind of it– voila – it’s a war between the sexes with both sides firmly entrenched. Eventually, both sides learn their lessons.

On Strike for Christmas is a frothy Christmas confection with straightforward writing and a simple plot. Most of the characters are self-absorbed, immature twits and the “messages” are driven home with a sledgehammer. No surprise it was made into a Lifetime movie that, I’m sure, was no better than the book. Don’t get me wrong – it’s not a bad book, just clichéd and predictable. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 8, 2014 |
on strike for christmas by sheila roberts, wow this was me a few years ago when i was no longer able to see.

I did go on strike and got a LOT OF help from my husband to help with all the Christmas chores. This is a very good book about how one woman can't take it anymore, doing it all for the holidays and her husband sits back and does nothing. she brings it to her knitting friends and they also want to go on strike for the holidays, make their spouses do it all this year.

this is hilarious but sometimes serious when you understand the full impact of it all. the ending i could not believe it really happened for a minute. the woman all came together with one another ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
This book was recommended by a friend of mine who read it last Christmas. It was our book club read for this month and I am glad I didn't read it until AFTER Christmas. I think I might have gotten all wrapped up in the women of Holly's strike and joined in myself! I do have to admit that it would have been really tough for me to carry out the whole strike...not buying presents and baking. I could have easily given up the decorating part though! Even before reading this book, I decided I didn't need to put every single decoration out this year and only put out the decorations that I really loved. That meant I had a lot less to put away!

This book is a good read anytime of year, but especially around Christmas for that gentle reminder that what is really important is being together with those you love....and maybe a few cookies to share! ( )
  Staciele | Jan 16, 2012 |

Roberts's sweetly vengeful dig at do-nothing husbands follows a smalltown knitting club of wives who are sick and tired of toiling over elaborate Christmas preparations that their husbands don't appreciate. As they go on strike, the women try to stay in solidarity, while the husbands plan retaliation at the hardware store. Roberts revels in detailing the husbands' awkward, often disastrous handling of tasks their wives habitually do for Christmas (taking the kids to see Santa, planning the party, doing up the house). By the end of this gently feminist sendup, each side learns to be grateful for the other's efforts

At Christmastime, it seems as though a woman’s work is never done. Trimming the tree, mailing the cards, schlepping to the mall, the endless wrapping—bah humbug! So this year, Joy and Laura and the rest of their knitting group decide to go on strike. If their husbands and families want a nice holiday—filled with parties, decorations, and presents—well, they’ll just have to do it themselves. The boycott soon takes on a life of its own when a reporter picks up the story and more women join in. But as Christmas Day approaches, Joy, Laura, and their husbands confront larger issues in their marriages and discover that a little holiday magic is exactly what they need to come together.

Sheila Roberts gives the best gift of all in this funny, heartwarming novel that touches the very core of Christmas spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

At Christmastime, it seems as though a womans job is never done. This year, Joy and Laura and the rest of their knitting group decides to go on strike. But as Christmas Day approaches, each couple confronts larger issues in their marriage, and discovers that a little holiday magic is exactly what they need to come together.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible