Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

Love Walked In (edition 2006)

by Marisa de los Santos

1,819833,844 (3.75)58
Member:alynnk
Title:Love Walked In
Authors:Marisa de los Santos
Info:Plume (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:@read: own, May, 2008

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

The Stepmother by Carrie Adams (jhedlund)
    The Godmother by Carrie Adams (jhedlund)
    Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: Though "Belong To Me" is a stand-alone book, "Love Walked In" is actually came first and has some of the same characters.

I reread this book recently and will definitely add it to my "regularly reread" pile. I like the characters; they are really alive and believe that the result of the author crafting each sentence before she moves on to the next one results in these types of characters (she talked about this on the Goodreads interview a month or so ago).

I thought the ending was good, but there are parts of it that could have been better or differently written. The mother comes back and that is a good thing, but the way the living arrangements were worked out was a little confusing and I don't think it fit well with the rest of the story. Perhaps that is the nature of the type of situation that was being described.

I would like to see de los Santos write a prequel that talks more about Cornelia's life growing up. I am looking forward to reading her newest book. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
This is kind of "chick lit" but I enjoyed it a surprising amount. Very readable and evocative. I thought it did a good job of portraying realistically complex relationships between complex people. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
This was a beautiful story about a girl name Clare and a young woman named Cornelia and how they came together. Very reminiscent of Secret Life of Bees by Margaret Kidd. Those who liked it will get a similar story of a girl finding her way and then finding a family outside the traditional sense. Thrilled to find a new author to read and look forward to delving into her other books. ( )
  missjomarch | Apr 26, 2013 |
I picked up this book because I was looking for something absorbing and light; something that my waning attention span could handle. "Love Walked In" is not a bad book, but it is the sappiest love fest I have ever walked into. Too sappy to be believed. Distractingly sappy. But sweet as well. Melissa De Los Santos is not a bad writer. She paints lots of lovely images and creates characters who I truly liked and rooted for--even though they were ultimately too perfect to be believed. I don't regret reading it, but I feel the need to read something slighty more weighty now, something to balance out the super sweet treat I just metaphorically ingested. You dig? ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Eh. ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
My life- my real life- started when a man walked into it, a handsome stranger in a perfectly cut suit, and, yes, I know how that sounds.

When Martin Grace enters the hip Philadelphia coffee shop Cornelia Brown manages, her life changes forever. But little does she know that her newfound love is only the harbinger of greater changes to come. Meanwhile, across town, Clare Hobbs—eleven years old and abandoned by her erratic mother—goes looking for her lost father. She crosses paths with Cornelia while meeting with him at the café, and the two women form an improbable friendship that carries them through the unpredictable currents of love and life.

Love Walked In, the first novel by award-winning poet Marisa de los Santos, is bursting with keen insight and beautifully rendered prose. Invoking classic movies to illuminate the mystery and wonder of love in all its permutations, Love Walked In is an uplifting debut that marks the entrance of an enchanting literary voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:46 -0400)

Thirty-one-year-old Cornelia Brown adores classic romantic films. Anything starring Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant will do nicely, especially The Philadelphia Story. Unapologetically idealistic about love, Cornelia appears to catch the break of a lifetime when the dashing Martin Grace, her own personal Cary Grant, comes strolling into her life. But Cornelia's life truly changes one snowy day when she looks up to find troubled 11-year-old Clare Hobbes standing before her.… (more)

Marisa de los Santos is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible