Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

Love Walked In (edition 2006)

by Marisa de los Santos

Member:ladydzura
Title:Love Walked In
Authors:Marisa de los Santos
Info:Plume (2006), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:@read: own, May, 2008

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

The Stepmother by Carrie Adams (jhedlund)
    The Godmother by Carrie Adams (jhedlund)
    Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: Though "Belong To Me" is a stand-alone book, "Love Walked In" is actually came first and has some of the same characters.

3.5***

Cornelia, the “under-achiever” in her family, is the manager of a café. One day a Cary-Grant-look-alike walks in and her life changes.

This is a chick-lit, romance novel with great heart. The novel is told in alternating points of view: Cornelia, and Grace, an eleven-year-old with a chaotic home life. I loved them both, though I was somewhat incredulous at several plot points.

Grace is a wonderful child character – smart, observant, brave and caring, she is also frightened and fragile. Several of her chapters just about broke my heart. Cornelia is likewise smart, independent, caring and compassionate, if occasionally blind to reality. She does tend to rely too heavily on old movies to explain her life, or on which to pin her hopes for love. I’m reminded a little of the movie Sleepless in Seattle, where Meg Ryan’s character obsessively watched the Cary Grant / Deborah Kerr movie An Affair to Remember. (Note: several reviews have criticized the book for the references to these romantic movies of the ‘40s and ‘50s, because the reviewers had no experience with them, so didn’t understand the references. Not the case for me, however.)

De los Santos was known for her poetry before she published this novel. Her skill at poetic writing shows here. I loved some of her metaphors and descriptions. For example:
Getting the words right matters, but so did describing his voice when he talked and capturing the feeling that filled her as he spoke and after he spoke. She thought about the word “capture,” how it put a writer on par with a fur trapper or big-game hunter, and how it implied that stories were whole and roaming around loose in the world, and a writer’s job was to catch them.

The men in the story didn’t get as much attention as I might have liked, and they were not very well developed. The ending is also a little too convenient, but it’s a chick-lit romance, so I cut her some slack. It’s a solid summer-at-the-beach read.

There is a sequel: Belong to Me which continues Cornelia’s story. I’d read it previously, not realizing that this novel comes first. I don’t think it affected my enjoyment of either book, but readers should probably read them in order. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 22, 2017 |
DNF....got to about page 80 and just didn't find interest in the characters or the storyline at that point.
  carol.iam | Feb 1, 2017 |
I almost didn't finish this but was glad I persevered as it was one of the loveliest books I have read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Narrated by Alma Cuervo and Jennifer Ikeda. Aughhhhh! Cornelia does way too much navel-gazing and is the most annoying character ever. Jennifer Ikeda voiced Cornelia's parts and very effectively made me gag at Cornelia's most aggravating "you know what I mean?" observations. I only hung with the torture to see what becomes of Clare's bipolar mother, and by then, just finished the damn thing. Plus you can hear Alma Cuervo's tongue unstick whenever she takes a breath. I had to adjust the treble to make it less obvious! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Marisa de los Santosprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cuervo, AlmaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lorschy, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My life- my real life- started when a man walked into it, a handsome stranger in a perfectly cut suit, and, yes, I know how that sounds.

When Martin Grace enters the hip Philadelphia coffee shop Cornelia Brown manages, her life changes forever. But little does she know that her newfound love is only the harbinger of greater changes to come. Meanwhile, across town, Clare Hobbs—eleven years old and abandoned by her erratic mother—goes looking for her lost father. She crosses paths with Cornelia while meeting with him at the café, and the two women form an improbable friendship that carries them through the unpredictable currents of love and life.

Love Walked In, the first novel by award-winning poet Marisa de los Santos, is bursting with keen insight and beautifully rendered prose. Invoking classic movies to illuminate the mystery and wonder of love in all its permutations, Love Walked In is an uplifting debut that marks the entrance of an enchanting literary voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

Thirty-one-year-old Cornelia Brown adores classic romantic films. Anything starring Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant will do nicely, especially The Philadelphia Story. Unapologetically idealistic about love, Cornelia appears to catch the break of a lifetime when the dashing Martin Grace, her own personal Cary Grant, comes strolling into her life. But Cornelia's life truly changes one snowy day when she looks up to find troubled 11-year-old Clare Hobbes standing before her.… (more)

Marisa de los Santos is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible